No Blood Elven S-Priests?

So since the Void elves got kicked out because they used the void does that mean that lore wise Blood elf shadow priests are a big no-no?
Similar to how lorewise there are almost no Forsaken Holy Priests, it’s the opposite for Blood elves?

8 Likes

:man_shrugging: Honestly, no idea. They haven’t given any info about it, and what happened that whole velf plot is so random that…who knows.

3 Likes

It is hard to say for sure, but what can be said is any user of shadow magic will not be looked upon favorably, given they are seen as an outright danger to the Sunwell. I would wonder, as Sin’dorei lands get increasingly saturated with holy energies, if such practitioners might start to suffer discomfort just from the ambient mojo so to speak.

It is worth noting lore wise Shadow priests, much like warlocks, are usually hidden from mainstream society anyways (unless they are Forsaken, who have often rather loose senses of morality). Umbric and his followers got kicked out precisely because they were not hiding what they were up to and refused to back down.

9 Likes

Honestly, I would find it hard to believe there are absolutely zero Sin’dorei shadow priests. The decision to “exile” the elves that tampered with the void seemed so random and poorly thought - blood elf warlocks have always had a presence in Silvermoon, whether by summoned demons or the usage of darker magic.

I’d say there are bound to be practitioners, but perhaps didn’t fall into Umbric’s gang. There’s nothing stopping a blood elf from leaning such magics from the Forsaken, too, given their decent relationship. I would take the lore of the void elves with a grain of salt - there is almost always room in Blizzard’s lore.

10 Likes

I think it’s how far the void elves went to study the void that got them exiled. They dug up research of a traitor, and became so tainted that they endanger the sunwell. I’m not sure if regular shadow priests can do that.

21 Likes

Hmmm…but they didn’t become outwardly tainted (i.e. literally infused with void energies) until the void ethereals attacked them and Alleria and the Alliance PC interrupted the process before they became full void ethereals themselves. Until then they looked perfectly normal. Alleria threatened the Sunwell by the unhappy coincidence of said void ethereal stalking her and using her connection to the void to home in and pop up when she was there. But let’s be honest…Blizzard needed an excuse to shoehorn them into joining the Alliance and that’s what they came up with…that their society that didn’t have a problem with sucking the magic out of living creatures, demons, fel crystals, torturing a naaru to force it’s light to serve them, and allying with the same undead who destroyed their home (yes yes, free-willed by that point or not, the irony is still there), would suddenly have a problem with some of their people researching the void/shadow magic (especially since at that point they didn’t know about the potential of void-corrupted ethereals going after the Sunwell)

6 Likes

I want to say the distinguishing difference between Magister Umbric’s followers and Blood Elven Shadow Priests, is that Umbric and his followers didn’t stop. The Sin’dorei Shadow Priests could arguably be using magic that is well tested and thus is not a danger to the Sunwell, while Umbric and his followers were constantly pushing into new territory or Shadowmancy/Void Magic and were doing so recklessly enough to potentially pose a danger to the Sunwell.

As an aside, I have to wonder now if the Sunwell isn’t Light-Corrupting Azeroth without us knowing. Maybe the whole thing with M’uru was a plot to make the greatest Titan of all into a Light-Titan. Take a leaf out of the book of the Void Lords. Maybe that’s why Azerite is blue AND gold. The Sunwell has been corrupting our World Soul.

5 Likes

No because…reasons :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Where they really “kicked out because of the void” though? Yes I know there are former Blood Elves as Void Elves now, on Alliance. But I saw it more as, these are my people now, and they are all joining alliance. Void Elves in particular need each other more than any other “race” I’d imagine. Given how dangerous wielding the void is, and how new being a Void Elf is.

Basically, their connection to the Void is now more important than the faction they serve. The most experienced Void Elf with things to teach them is Alliance, so, they join her.

Edit: and as I read up a bit, yes I see they were kicked out of Silvermoon, but not necessarily the Horde.

3 Likes

I role play as a Blood Elf Warlock Magister who was kicked out of Silvermoon precisely because the Sunwell’s Holy Magics was making it hard for me and my fellow practitioners to get any respect or even tolerance since the Light has become such a central tenet to my fellow elves. So IN my head canon every elf who disagreed with the state started to move into the Ghostlands and were recruited by Umbric.

It’s why so many Blood Elves are seen in the Telogrus Rift, thousands of us left and joined Umbric. As you all know the Silvermoon government was brainwashing elves who disagreed with their political ideology and doctrine. Living in an increasingly authoritarian state who denies us the the freedom even to deviate and think differently pressured us out.

So no more Affliction Warlocks, and Shadow Priests or open minded elves within the city proper at least who practice openly. Some of us stay to recruit more into Umbric’s faction, but those who realize that Silvermoon has become and just want out.

2 Likes

You can headcanon whatever you like, but at the end of the day we haven’t been presented with enough canon information to put together a clear picture.

It’s entirely possible that there are plenty of Belf Shadow Priest still practicing, and only Umbric’s group became large and radical enough to attract censure.

11 Likes

An interesting thought. With the Sunwell being so important within Belf society and Belf paladins taking on a more central role in their military, I wonder if we could see athe Belves becoming something akin to the Lightbound on Draenor.
They may start to take the worship of the Light/Sunwell a bit too far to the point where it “consumes” their culture.

1 Like

If there are shadow practicing Blood Elves, the Blood Knights aren’t going to be very welcoming if you enter Quel’Danas especially after the incident with Alleria. Haven’t you noticed that for years blood elves have been brainwashed and conditioned to obey the orders of Lor’themar? All for the sake of security and unity of the Thalassian state.

Sure we had openly welcomed Warlocks and Shadow Priests when the Sunwell was corrupted, and fel became especially important for a brief time. Since the rebirth of the Sunwell. The focus has been not in delving in such magics, but Rommath made it clear and started censuring and limiting it’s research.

Solythn do you feel like the norm in this new state? What if you had your pet void walker out near the Sunwell? You think even then they’d welcome you? Especially since the Magisters and the Blood Knights have taken such harsh position against Shadow magics? Join us! We can open doorways to possibilities you’ve never even dreamed of.

1 Like

That’s actually how I see the Sin’dorei becoming. They even have golden eyes as an option and just like the player base more and more blood elves are showing that glow in their eyes. More and more of them seem confident in the light’s use and have become more like the Draenei in that respect. I think that storyline is being developed as we continue to tell that narration. Time will tell.

2 Likes

My interpretation was studying Dark’han’s work was what got them exiled, not because Shadow Priest. After all, most Void Elves weren’t shadow priests.

6 Likes

I would say lorewise they aren’t mages/priests/warlocks, but a combination of the three. I’ve noticed many NPCs in game take on many roles and combine abilities from many classes. I think that Darkhan’s research is one facet, but so is using shadow magics. We know that’s expressly why Alleria was exiled at the end of the Nightborne scenario. In fact, at the end of that scenario she learns that her kin was also exiled for similar reasons.

I think it’s important to note that Umbric himself wasn’t aware that Dar’khan had been studying the Void until he and his followers were banished. When he learned that he states he understood why Rommath wanted to ban his research, but even then disagreed, believing the Void could be used for the benefit of Quel’Thalas.

4 Likes

they were banished before they joined the alliance

1 Like

In the words of Ion Hazzikostas Blood Elf Shadow priests are awaiting you on the alliance as void elves. Totally the same thing.

And yes I agree its absurd.

Shadow Priests are interesting.

They fulfill the “cultist” archetype. Cultists from the Cult of the Damned and especially the Twilight Cult consisted of any races that would buy into their doctrines. To that end, they were generally social outcasts that shrugged off the trappings of their own societies to join like-minded individuals in pursuit of power or devotion to a greater power (usually a dark, evil one).

The only Shadow Priests that I’d consider ‘sanctioned’ by the Horde or the Alliance were the Forsaken Shadow Priests since that was a shadow-centric body of faith that didn’t have anything to do with service to a great evil, and was a necessary replacement for the Light-centric culture many Forsaken came from.

Darkspear priests are often based on devotion to a Loa, but the usage of shadow magic isn’t uncommon among their witch doctors, hexxers, or Shadow Hunters.

So when it comes to the Sin’dorei, there are problem a few that still practice the magic and didn’t want to follow Umbric to Telongrus and are happy to continue practicing their magics out of sight, or out of Silvermoon City entirely.

Another thing to bear in mind is that our player characters are adventurers and we don’t tend to stick around in the cities as often as civilians or scholars who pretty much keep to the cities.

Just my take.

2 Likes