Nightfall - How good? Worth it?

How many guilds are using Nightfall and think it’s worth it?
If you do use it, is it really good? meh? situational?
There was a lot of hype about it early on and now we have real data to prove it’s worth.
I know it depends on RNG, and the type of boss fight, as well as raid comp melee/caster ratios.
Thanks,
Erst

not worth. dont waste mats on it

My guilds ret has a nightfall. It seems to only be worth it on long stationary fights.

Lower proc rate than private servers. Websites that hyped nightfall were using PS data. Classic nightfall is a meme.

1 Like

Its true.

The uptime is terrible. Since the fights are so short anyway unless you are undergeared, there are better things for that debuff slot.

It’s nice for 1 or 2 to have it for progression, but would be a guild mat supply and not on the individual imo. As a daily use 2hander tho i wouldn’t touch it.

Based on the proc rate, we determined it was a higher dps increase for the raid to let 1 warlock curse of doom/agony than have a warrior/hunter do gimped dps and keep up nightfall.

i.e we have 9 casters, avg 500 dps, so 4500 dps. Having a hunter keeps up NF 20% of the time, warrior 15% for an increase in 0.15-0.2 * 15%, or 2.25-3% damage. Thats 101-135 dps on 4500 caster dps. Now having a warrior/hunter use NF will lower their damage by more than 101-135 dps. So NF is a flat out dps loss for the raid.

An individual warlock doing 500 dps will see a 15 dps increase from 20% nightfall uptime. From our testing, curse of agony added 50 dps for the warlock. So letting 1 warlock use a damage curse to fill the last debuff slot instead of having nightfall up is both a dps increase for 1 individual caster, as well as a dps increase for the raid.

As we told our casters “the guild is not going to spend 1k gold, and piss off a warrior or a hunter for a dps loss.”

If you had more casters that all flasked, it might be a dps increase even when taking into account the dps loss of a warrior/hunter. But then again, the dps gain would be minimal, and still piss off a hunter/warrior and cost the guild 1k gold.

If you have a ret palidan, then go for it. If you take one, your guild isnt min maxing enough to care about optimal debuff slots. Although, apparently even having a ret palidan use nightfall vs OeB is barely an overall dps increase.

inB4 the “just let the offtank use it.” Our offtank is using annihalator.
Also, debuff slots are full. Thunderfury1, Thunderfury2, Faeri Fire, Sunder, Annihalator, Arthas, CoR, CoS, CoE, Winters Chill, Shadow Weaving, Imp Shadow Bolt, Hunters Mark, Demo Shout, FREE (Nightfall/ damage curse), deep wounds/mind flay/taunt overwrite buffer slot.

We will re-evaluate nightfall in P5 when mages are all doing 1200 dps, with the ignite mage doing 2k+.

3 Likes

Thanks guys.
Appreciate the feedback.
Have a great day.

I had it crafted for BWL progression.

Aside from a white damage increase over what I was using it’s pointless. The uptime on the debuff won’t outweigh a better weapon.

Only reason to use it is to give casters a slightly better parse, or rather a chance at it.

Overall raid contribution is worse than having the wielder use an actual DPS weapon and rotation.

Our enh sham averages only 12-13% uptime, substantially lower than warrior or hunter due to number of attacks. But he doesn’t lose much dps by using it compared to his other options currently. It still probably is less optimal than just letting one more person use a dot or something though.

I love that talent… Couldn’t lock without it :slightly_smiling_face:

Now , everyone is talking about PvE.

I have a question, what about for use on an Enemy Flag Carrier in WSG? Does it proc often enough to be useful in Burst situations for PvP ??

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe, if the user is a reckoning paladin?

possible but situational and probably more trouble than its worth if thats the only reason you are getting one

1 Like

Especially considering the debuff only lasts for 5 seconds, where it could be wasted entirely because DPS aren’t just turreting like in PvE.