Night elf cover art

Does anyone who the male night elf with the glaive and arcane blue orb on the other hand is? Is he a druid or mage? Could never figure that out or find out, also was on the cover of the first wow physical copy I bought :slight_smile: :cloud_with_rain:

He’s a Druid. The armor he’s wearing is leather and at the time of classic, night elves had renounced the arcane.

1 Like

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s Illidan before he became a Demon.

I think he is supposed to be a druid. Note the feathery robes and Cenarion Circle/druid logo on the front. In original classic lore, before Cataclysm, arcane magic was forbidden in Night Elf society, so it probably isn’t a mage, an that probably isn’t an arcane orb. Maybe it’s supposed to be some sort of mote of moon magic or something?

3 Likes

It’s Illidan before becoming a demon. This is the updated art of the same:

3 Likes

Wait now I’m even more confused…. Wasn’t illidan a mage before becoming a DH? :cloud_with_rain: :thinking:

He tried to train as a Druid before giving up, because he wasn’t as connected as Mal. He also had the rare golden eyes.

Standing in front of a Dark Portal, golden eyes, black hair, the armor isn’t quite Druid armor, just has similar coloration, welding a glaive and Arcane. It’s pre-demon Illidan.

4 Likes

Ty!! I’ve been wondering for years!!! :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

he also had black hair, which no other night elf could have until relatively recently. dead giveaway that it’s Illidan. This is also before the hair loss that gave him his iconic widow’s peak.

Illidan was not the only night elf with black hair. According to the war of the ancients trilogy, hair colors ranging from black/blue/violet were common, while green and amber hair were odd. In-game nelf’s couldn’t have it until recently, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a thing in the lore.

If they wanted to depict illidan on the box art for WoW, they wouldn’t have used Illidan 10,000 years ago as described in a book, they would have used his appearance from WC3, which was something people were familiar with.

This box art is just random generic night elf druid.

In the game they couldn’t have black hair until like BFA.

That’s what I meant.

I played WC3, most of the units had black hair. No idea why having a druid using a glaive and an arcane spell with black hair on a night elf doesn’t count as false advertising.