Next WarCraft movie?

In our post Witcher and Game of Thrones world they would be stupid to not focus on Arthas for the next movie. It would be the brutal and tragic story that today’s murder hobos crave.

1 Like

I think the issue with the movie is that it relied too much on people having previous knowledge of WoW

HBO Max is desperate for content (I think they even canceled the GoT prequel), let’s get them a WoW license! :grin:

2 Likes

If they did do the next movie off Arthas any continued movie from them would not live up to that one best to leave that for the end :grin:

The story of Arthas was the greatest story ever told in the Warcraft universe.

I remember when Warcraft III came out, and every RPG featured the bright-eyed, virtuous, blond hero and his beautiful spellcaster sidekick that was there only as a romantic interest. Warcraft III played on that trope, and then completely turned it upside down. It was beautiful, and quite the shock at the time.

In order for a movie based on a video game to have wide appeal to people who DON’T play the game…more explanation and set-up would be needed.

They tried to tell a complex story about two complex fantasy worlds with multiple fantasy races and many governing laws without setting up the worlds, the races, or the laws. The audience had no idea what they were looking at unless they were already WoW players.

None of the subtle things in the film (like the multi-colored rooftops in SW) meant anything to the larger audience. The story moved from place to place without any description of where or why or who or what kind of history was involved.

It was an introduction to Azeroth that failed to introduce anything.

I loved watching it, and I still love re-watching it. If they ever make another one, I’ll probably love that one, too.

If they want to make movies that will be successful, however, they need to start at the beginning…and actually tell the audience where they are and how the place works. I think the War of the Ancients would be a good one, and so would the well-trodden path of the WCIII events. Even if they do that, however, it would have to be three films, not one.

Oh I know and in theory it would have been good but I think we all knew there would only be 1 WoW (even though I loved it but) but didn’t do well at the box office and yes overseas it did great but not something they will make again. But yes it made sense to start at the beginning as they felt they would be making more.

That is why I wish they did the Arthas story since it was a one shot deal.

Was anyone else like “holy heck with a hand grenade” when Arthas returned in his death knight armor and while everyone cheered and showered him with flowers he just walks up and kills his pappy?

1 Like

February 31st

In all seriousness, I’d love to see a new Warcraft movie made.

1 Like

I was literally on the edge of my seat with that cinematic. “this can’t be good” lol

There is likely not going to be one.
No updates other than we know the previous director has moved on.

I don’t think Arthas would have been a one shot. I think it would have been Starwars 2.0. Movie one would be young Arthas traveling with Obi Uthar learning about the light and then purging strat in a shocking ending. Movie two would be him traveling to hoth and seaking his revenge before finally picking up frostmorne and shambling off. Three would have been his transformation into Darth Lich King and the hijinks that ensued.

Moved on and the studio sold all of their props. Like I said if there is another movie I would have to imagine it would be animated and on a streaming site.

Hollywood doesn’t know what to do with the Warcraft story, and there are entirely too many cooks in kitchen to tell it properly on-screen. Blizz has a vision, fans have their vision, the director has their vision, actors are limited by their own vision, the whole production is limited by CGI capability, and Activision and the movie studios want a quick cash generator, instead of the slow build-up.

Of course, Marvel Studios turned all of that on its head over the last 25 years, with the culmination of Endgame. But they also had ultimate control and a singular vision.

I suppose if there was a date we would have heard about it by now.

Never. The last one bombed…

HBO doesn’t know what they’re doing since AT&T bought them. HBO was just about being awesome. AT&T is just about the benjamins. They should get out of the content business and build fiber faster.

1 Like

This article was done just last September, but who knows if it’s for real or not.

https://www.dexerto.com/world-of-warcraft/evidence-suggests-world-of-warcraft-movie-sequel-is-in-the-works-1422011/

hopefully never

I think warcraft would be better suited for a series rather than a movie. There is just not enough time in a movie to dive into the story which is when things start to get interesting. They have to touch on a lot which leaves the viewer feeling like its lacking. A series offers the opportunity to get into more detail over a longer stretch.