Next WarCraft movie?

When’s the next WarCraft movie come out?

2 Likes

You know as much as we do.

On a day with a number in a month during a year that ends in a number.

3 Likes

im so glad i have gul’dans staff

Didn’t the first one lose money (when marketing was taken into account) and that was back when movie theaters were actually functional?

No, it made nearly 3 times the budget, a success by film industry standards.

3 Likes

Warcraft was the highest grossing videogame movie at the time. It wasn’t dethroned until Detective Pikachu.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely we will ever see another Warcraft movie. Which is unfortunate, because I actually liked Warcraft.

4 Likes

Actually, I was right, a quick Wikipedia search confirms:

Warcraft grossed $47.4 million in the United States, and $391.7 million in other countries, for a worldwide total of $439 million. It was estimated to need at least $450 million to break even.”

It lost between $15 million and $40 million at the box office according to Hollywood Reporter, it’s still possible it managed to drag itself slowly into the black in home distribution.

Being the highest grossing video game adaptation isn’t saying a lot since they tend to be box office bombs. No major studio is going to invest in an extremely risky break-even at best film in times like this.

Even worse, the film earned most of its money in China, which is a problematic market for many US companies right now.

Hey man. We takes the wins we can get. XD

I believe it was a flop in the USA, but a big hit in China.

WoW is bigger in China than in the US though, and for them it’s a ‘localized’ game so they’re probably not as sensitive to lore missteps or bad acting. I mean… look at how popular some very bad anime gets in the US once it’s been dubbed and slapped together with duct tape… You don’t need to be good to cross the culture line, you just need to look cool.

The next WoW movie will probably be made in China, with Chinese actors, and might not even get a release in the US, though it will probably end up in Netflix in Europe and Latin America.

1 Like

Why do people keep saying this? Gross does not mean net. It had a box office of 4x its production budget, but most of that was from China where foreign studios only gets 25% of the box office take. Only 25% of its world wide box office was from the US which is were studios get the highest take, which is why most experts believe it lost money.

3 Likes

There will not be a live action Warcraft movie sequel. Duncan Jones basically confirmed that it was “unlikely to happen” and the studio sold off all the props which makes it even less likely. Since he also said the next 2 movies were planned on focusing on Thrall I don’t think we are missing anything.

What we need to do is hope Netflix gets ahold of it and gives it the Castlevania treatment set in WC3.

7 Likes

it would be a dream come true to see alleria windrunner portrayed on the silver screen. assuming they don’t just have beyond the dark portal be seperate.

1 Like

They screwed themselves by doing the story they did in the 1st one. If they had just done an Arthas storyline (the hype for the movie started during WoTLK) they would be working on a sequel right now. Problem is it came out after Wrath’s success and no one really cared about the Orc story line.

2 Likes

Not only that, but it was an orc heavy movie after multiple orc heavy xpacs. I was personally sick of orcs at that point.

It also didn’t help that the movie came out during
WoD with the infamous selfie patch.

The results in the US were almost art house movie bad given the number of screens. I’m sure they paid the price for totally alienating their customers right before the movie launched.

Yep, probably could have saved some money on production costs too with not having to CGI all those Orcs.

They did an interview awhile back and doesn’t sound like there will be another one unfortunately. At least not anytime soon. Which sucks because I feel they should have done the Arthas story (basically the Wrath expansion) since imo that might have gone over better plus I had a feeling there would only be 1 movie because WoW is still a niche following and most video game movies don’t bode well.

2 Likes

If they do/when they do make another Warcraft movie I think it would be way better if they focused on Varian growing up and being captured by the orcs rather around Thrall

Though in that interview he said the next two movies would have followed Thrall.