[News] Shadowlands: A Look at Covenant Class and Signature Abilities *Updated 5/13

Over complicated, gimmicky…and more borrowed power.

And it’s been said…for casual’s…choose what you want. Max DPS certain ones will be mandatory. Since I’m casual I won’t have any issues…but many will if they choose the wrong one.

2 Likes

Even though I’m a casual for all intents, I still speak up because I know how this could easily make Raiding, Mythic+ and PvP a horrible kludge.

Those new paladin ones look sick! The casting divine storm with templars verdict for burst is a neat idea and the new aura for another covenant is cool too. Mainly still worried about off-specing with the way covenants work. I like to play multiple specs and I feel not having the tanking M+ covenant ability when I main dps is going to hurt me when I try to tank +15s or higher.

So, when your average mythic raiding guild that has a roster of 22-26 gets to the last boss of the tier and needs to bring the best possible comp for the boss (Can only be 20).

Why would i bring the DK who does a lot of mythic plus and picked the best m+ talent when i could bring the DK who picked the best Raiding covenant and does 10k more.

Sounds like you’ve never done any challenging content.

Honestly anyone who thinks this system will be balanced clearly was not paying attention in BFA at all. Not one tiny bit. Blizzard do not possess the correct people to ensure these are balanced fairly. There will 100% be a “best for” Bgs, Arena, Mythic+ and Mythic Raiding.

Just so we are clear, this is not a “Mythic Raiders vs Non Mythic Raiders”, It’s important the people who don’t want to see the system changed cannot get away with running that narrative.

There are many people who do not do higher difficulties of content that still would like to be the strongest version of themselves let it be Heroic raiding, 1500 arenas or a +10 for the week.

Once again, this is not mythic raiders vs non mythic raiders.

3 Likes

Just throwing my support in the hat for those wanting Blizzard to stick to their guns and bring the RPG back to WOW. More permanent character choices that matter!

But it’s not permanent if you change it with some difficulty

That’s precisely the opposite of permanent.

It’s about as permanent as me putting tomato on my sandwich, then realising i don’t want tomato. I mean i can take the tomato off but the tomato juice is already on the bread but I can still take off the tomato.

1 Like

The difference between top and bottom dps spec this tier is 17%. The bottom dps spec has a ton of logs completing mythic raids this tier. If raids are benching people then good for you for having the opportunity to find a better raid team.

All you need to do is show us which ones will be best for dps, heals and tanking. And assure us that you will not nerf it when it goes live or buff a different one that makes our initial choice wrong.

I ask this because we have past experience with lots of words from the devs about fixing things and wanting every spec to be valued and it never works that way. One spec is often much better than other specs and they don’t get fix soon enough, balanced. Still waiting on specs that were not great in Legion to be valued in BFA. So, you know your word that it is not important which you choose is not all that trustworthy.

I refuse people all the time that want to run with more than 39 corruption for a M+.

3 Likes

I really think the devs need to rethink the Druid convent ability via Venthyr, Ravenous Frenzy.

It’s the only convent ability with a negative draw back. The possibility of a stun + a % health drain needs to go. Other classes are not punished in such a way for a dps cooldown.

As a druid this ability is dead on arrival to me. Even if I choose that convent I’ll never use the ability as long as it has a negative associated with it.

1 Like

I actually passed up the legendary in WOTLK as a DK because I only use swords.

I dont base my value based on how I compare to others. Thats insecurity and a lack of confidence. Besides, it could be theyre just better players. If I get excluded from content for my choices, I don’t lose conviction that I made the right choice for me. There are other games out there or real life activities to take part in if I’m not dedicating my time to end game content.

so you only pick the best class and spec to play in competitive content each patch. I doubt it. In the end, by not picking the best you’re affecting other players in the game.

Please…please don’t tie gameplay to aesthetic/quest choices and vice versa. I don’t want to essentially change faction every time I want to change something on the level of a talent.

3 Likes

Seems to me like we shouldn’t start worrying about it until it actually happens. The expansion is JUST entering Alpha. And who knows what changes will be made before release. The idea of pigeonholing certain players based on powers, is a bad move. But we don’t have any idea if that is really how its going to come out yet.

You’ve already had 2 people refute your claims that it does not happen. So, it wasn’t a ‘mistake’ on my part. I’ve read enough of these boards to know that these things are true.

Also, you still sound new when you don’t know that these things are true regardless of how long you’ve been playing, because whether you experienced them personally or not you should know that it happens.

I’ve never experienced it and I’ve been here since the middle of Vanilla, but I know they happen.

It’s NOT just about your experiences. Folks complain on these boards all the time about the things I brought up…that’s why I brought them up.

The issue is going to be obvious for end-game. Based on class/spec some abilities are going to better than others and it will change depending on boss/hotfixes/ilvl or stat scaling/etc.

If you want to avoid the forum/PR trouble, simply make Covenant choice separate from ability choice. Covenant choice should be more permanent (Like race selection), and ability choice should be more changeable (Like talent trees).

If not, this is just going to be a long expansion of complaining about it.

3 Likes

If history repeats itself yet again, by Alpha the devs are pretty much decided on what the game will look and feel like. They don’t want design feedback, that hurts their feelings when we don’t like a mechanic and it takes them way too long to respond and fix things (all of Legion and so far all of BFA as proof - they don’t respond to fix bad mechanics until it is no longer relevant). They only want you to find bugs for them, for free.

4 Likes

I think you’re going about it wrong again, Devs. We understand you want to have “flavours” but locking in “flavours” in punishing way of “you can’t just shift covenants” is wrong. It would behoove you to consider these covenants as cosmetic rewards per character and then having people unlock talent trees later on for mythics or raiding or pvp or what have you. Most of them are already imbalanced by numbers alone, not to mention we have no gear stats to look at or exactly how our talent trees are going to play into these covenants along with said gear. Pigeonholing your game once again is not going to be conducive. Hardcore players are gonna hardcore and if you want to draw in a larger playerbase, consider having fun rather than “DO THIS OR DIE.” Because ultimately that’s what locking us into these will end up being.

1 Like

To the casual player… no issues good selection of abilities and options. To the experienced player… not so great, forced to pick one ability based on the dps or utility it provides no real options. Just another way to draw in and market towards new players. fun for new players, burden for experienced players.

1 Like

Same here for my paladin. Fingers crossed that my role play selection doesn’t end up costing me for PVP, PVE.

1 Like