Newly returned to WoW, why is gear so important?

Because dungeons are almost entirely pre-scripted/pre-telegraphed, predictable NPCs, Item level is less important than being a good player/knowing the dungeons. Just ball-park figures, but you can probably do +10’s at ~440 item level, and +15’s can probably be started with as low as ~450 item level.

Getting into pug groups is another matter entirely, to “get around” this hurdle I suggest simply using your own key (so you are always guaranteed a spot). I’ve seen streamers (and I watch my share of M+ streamers) clearing +15’s with their 445(ish) item level alts. Like I said, being a good player/knowing the dungeons is more important for lower keys.

Gear only starts to matter much more in high keys (and the average bg’er probably isn’t doing those anyways).

The funny thing is these same PvPer’s aren’t happy with what they asked for.

It was clear PvP gear wasn’t returning in BfA too. I still don’t understand what they expected to happen.

1 Like

I started the low keys (1-10) at like iLvl 445 and once I got to like 460-465 I started pushing higher (11-15s). Basically like a week of the first and two weeks of the other. Usually 1 out of 2 dungeons you get a piece of loot.

Because Blizz couldn’t be bothered to balance the classes, and wanted to have more slot machines in the game.

6 Likes

:flushed: :point_right: :point_left:

Was that even possible? Their ilevels would have needed to be 100 to 200 higher.

There’s some sort of new addon/website called Raider IO. If you want to obtain the best mythic plus gear, you need a high ilevel (470+) and a high Raider IO score to get accepted into mythic 15+ pugs.

People asked for gear vendors to return.

Do you even know what you’re speaking about? Do you think PVP players asked for Mythic + gear, Corruption, essences etc etc to be in random bgs? Really?

3 Likes

Frankly, yes.

We all knew there was no PvP vendor. Several of us warned the anti template squad their choice for gear to matter would have consequences. PvE gear being superior is the reward.

You’re also including systems that were added in 8.2 and 8.3 for some reason.

There’s a good chance PvE gear will still be better and quicker to acquire again , excluding requiring a medallion.

It wasn’t possible. Gear scaled 1% per 10 ilvls. It was a 6-7% stat increase.

1 Like

His name was Brian Holinka. Is he still heading PVP and combat design?
Lol are you Brian?
PVP in Pandaria was so much fun.

Just scale the bloody item level. Stuff PVP gear. Waste of time designing hundreds of pieces for PVPers when they can just change people’s ilvl.

Nope.

You speak the truth. :100: :+1: People asked for gear vendors to return and to remove any scaling.

Did you miss the entirety of Legion where cries for gear to matter in PvP was a common theme on the forum?

1 Like

He wasn’t in charge of combat design before.

They brought him back to the WoW team after BFA’s rocky launch and promoted him from PvP dev to lead combat designer.

We’re hoping he returned early enough to save Shadowlands.

1 Like

PVP gear to matter. Not PVE crap on top of that. What has corruption, essences and mythic gear to do with PVP? Do you see players in raids wearing PVP gear and I don’t mean LFR?

1 Like

Correct, instead of templates or scaling they wanted gear acquired from PvE to not be nerfed in instanced PvP. This would include modifiers to gear such as set bonuses in the past, and now traits and corruptions.

The same thing it has to do with PvE. Kill your target.
You might not like it but that’s what it is.

In WoD, the last expansion with PvP vendors, yes.

Nope

Nope

nope we are speaking about BFA here.

Good talk.
If you ever have something meaningful to say then feel free to try again.

1 Like

I did before your reply. PVE gear should not matter in PVP. PVP gear should not matter in PVE (raiding, high end content) which it does not.

They got one part of it right.

PVE gear does matter in random bgs if you want to play with no skill. A returning PVP player has absolutely no real chance of being competitive in an environment with so much to catch up on gear and corruptions.

Yeah you can float around at 440 ilevel (with pve gear on mainly ) and compete to a certain degree. Great fun.

It’s as clear as day that this is what it is. Just curious, has this been confirmed or is this an evil that Blizzard tries to hide?

Watch this youtube video. This is the truth. Stoopz a pvp player showing players like you what PVP was about and the crap they are coming away with in SL.

Big Problem With PvP Gear In Shadowlands - How The Vendor Works