Newcomer Guide thought

Curious why becoming a guide is a per-character thing and not an account wide one.

I often times play on lower-level characters when playing with friends who are new or on lowbees, or just tool around on alts with no push to leveling them to 70 in a timely manner. But I’d still like to be able to help newbies if they have a question or need help.

If I could opt in account wide to become a guide, I would, and honestly this should be a thing they look to add so we can help out newer players more.

I have had to help 3 players i got playing recent that are new to wow and mmos in general to figure out how to equip a new bag on top of an old bag. We take little things like this for granted when we’ve been playing since BC, but when the game doesn’t tell you how to do anything with tutorials anymore, we should be doing better to help out new players learn the game the way we know it, that way they don’t just quit on it when they get frustrated.

4 Likes

I agree. It would be so much better if we join the guide program on a qualifying character that it could be account-wide.

I also have quite a few lowbies that I like to play but would still like to be help new and returning players.

I think it should be default on for the account once you joined with a qualifying toon.

If for some reason you wished to opt out on a certain toon, you just talk to the npc with the option to opt out for the account or for that particular toon.

Another option could be when you opt in, you have the choice of opting in for just the qualifying toon or the whole account, but I think the option to opt out per toon is a better one.

1 Like

I agree, this would be nice. Unfortunately blizz doesn’t peruse this particular sub forum though (this is completely player to player, just like the newcomer chat in game), so to get a suggestion in you’d need to post in a forum that they monitor. These are generally community forums such as General Discussion. Another way is by using the in game feedback tool in the help menu.

2 Likes

Another problem of the mentor system:

As a mentor you can see every murloc (also all the bot script spammers in SW/OG).
As a murloc you can see every mentor.
Mentors can not recognize other mentors (not really necessary though) and murlocs can’t recognize other new players.

Also: Any player should be able to see the murloc sign. There will always be those that kick new players but they might also do this regardless of being aware or not. Given that a murloc can be seen by anybody can also lead to more tolerance and willingness to help out. The current decision of the devs is cutting out both options just because of one of them.

I certainly agree it should be account wide. Awkward that I cannot help others on my alts, which I play a LOT too unless I specifically do the requirements again. Which isn’t the craziest challenge, but it’s still a bit annoying to say the least and not something many expert players even want to do on many characters.

I would also like to see the mentor/guide system be fleshed out more. We all are experts in various areas of the game, but we’re not universally knowledgeable obviously and having a category system for becoming a guide and perhaps an in-game “Newcomer Message Board” sort of like this forum…but newcomers aren’t going find this forum most of the time. This would give a more direct and permanent in-game resource for new players rather just a chat channel per faction.

2 Likes