Newbie tanking question

I’m familiar with a few BFA dungeons and wanted to give tanking a try. Just normal stuff, no fancy mythics or whatever. When I tank should I be firing off my taunt as soon as the fight starts and constantly be using it, or is it more of an emergency button to peel off mobs from group mates? I’m not totally sure how hate generation works and didn’t know if me as a tank just hitting stuff generated a lot of threat.

1 Like

panic button 4 when u lost agro

1 Like

In dungeons, it’s more of a panic button. In raids, it’ll also be used to transfer aggro from one tank to the other, but for single-tank fights that’s obviously not applicable.

Being in tank spec will definitely give you an aggro edge, but you might have a bit of trouble if someone in the group significantly outgears you. I’m not a tanking expert, but it appears to me from tanking dungeons that the best way to keep aggro is to make sure I’m hitting each individual mob at least once or twice, aside from using AoE. AoE damage spells can’t necessarily be relied upon to keep every mob in a trash pack aggro’d on you, though they do help a lot.

2 Likes

Hunters and Warlocks have pets that default to taunting periodically.

I’ve stopped saying, “Shut off your pet’s taunt” and just let them die.

To be honest, I don’t think a lot of Warlocks understand that their Voidwalkers even have a Taunt.

It’s on them to understand their resources.

If I see a pet taunting off me, I have to assume the owner of that pet want’s aggro for some reason.

1 Like

True, this too!

As I recall, the Voidwalker equivalent to Growl has a bit more of an obscure description, and I had kind of an embarrassingly hard time figuring out what I should be turning off. Of course, probably the best course in a dungeon is to just summon something other than a Voidwalker. I assume they aren’t the best choice for increasing DPS.

Absolutely true.

Most of the time, if asked, I recommend either imps or that little demon doggie thing that has the interrupt. Depends on the mechanics of the fight.

This actually changed in BFA. Pet taunts are disabled automatically upon entering an instance group. Hunters/locks have to manually turn them back on or press them.

lol… I was in the habit of hitting the pet growl button and turning it off when entering an instance. When BfA came out, I still hit the growl button and wound up turning it back on. Guild chat was not kind to me when I did that :slight_smile:

lol… I was in the habit of hitting the pet growl button and turning it off when entering an instance. When BfA came out, I still hit the growl button and wound up turning it back on. Guild chat was not kind to me when I did that :slight_smile:
[/quote]

lol I normally play MM so this wasn’t ever really an issue for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, everyone :slight_smile:

Throw some beer at them(keg smash) to open up. Use taunt if you’ve lost agro on something.

There are addons, like threat plates, that will make the enemy’s health bar change color depending on your threat status. They’re very useful because when you have a whole pack of mobs you can see if you’ve lost one.

If you use ElvUI, ElvUI_Black_And_White has a neat display mechanism for Aggro.

+ + for You’re tanking it.
+ - for You’re tanking it but losing aggro.
- + for You’re not tanking it but gaining aggro.
- - for You barely on their threat table.

It also (for Hunters/Locks/DK’s with tamed demons) shows the same indicators for pets (something Blizzard doesn’t show well).

I wrote it because I’m badly colorblind and needed some other way of indicating threat status.

1 Like