New Video Card suggestions

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new computer system but don’t know where to start. My current PC is 7 years old and is it fair to say that almost any half decent system sold nowdays would blow my current one out of the water?

I looked at a chain store in my city but it seems like almost all their video cards are sold out (not sure why) and I am wondering what card sold now would be the equivalent of the card I currently have (GeForce GTX 770) and from what point in the GeForce and Radeon lineups would be an improvement.
Below is a summary of my current system:
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics
BenQ GL2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (Gigabyte)
Storage
111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1E6164 (SATA)

Any thoughts or information/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Graphics cards are scarce these days. Late last year was release of new cards, which were excellent performance and decent value; however, due to increased demand and limited supply, they were very hard to obtain.

Now, all that stuff still remains, but it seems that mining is making a resurgence which is increasing demand even MORE. Moreover, tariff exceptions have expired so prices have gone up.

For WoW, I’d recommend an RTX 3060 Ti which would be a perfect match. If you can sit on a Bestbuy or Microcenter, and try to get one of those.

Thanks, Salhezra!

1 Like

16GB of 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM

X570 Motherboard of that supports Ryzen 5000 series (Zen 3)

Ryzen 5600 (6 cores 8 threads) or 5800 (8 cores 16 threads) depending on your budget. Both are in stock very frequently.

AMD 6800 or NVIDIA 3060 TI - 3070 depending on your budget.

Find a Samsung or Corsair M2 Slot SSD in 1 TB form.

Now you have a computer capable of maxing the game out with excellent framerate in 1440p or 1080p.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, Brohirim!

The RX 6800 is the fastest GPU for WoW you can get at this time if you can get your hands on one. The 3000 series Nvidia have Windows drivers problems but that’ll probably be fixed in the near future. The 2K series is still good also.

IMO get what you can get your hands on. All are pretty hard to come by these days.

It’s a shame they never really ever sold at MSRP.

When you market your card at $549 but real MSRP price is $700, it’s a bit dishonest IMO.

Nvidia has had their share of “WTF” this generation, but AMD’s pricing and lack of MSRP cards is really not cool.

This was even before price hikes from tariffs and not counting scalper markup.

So now MSRP after price hikes:

ASUS TUF 6800 $825
ASUS TUF 3080 $854
ASUS TUF 6800 XT $989

RTX 3080 was supposed to be $699, and the 6800 $549 with the XT variant being $649.

Real prices on the exact same trim model from ASUS reflects (current, after tariff hikes)

3080 --> $155 over MSRP (~22% higher)
6800 --> $276 over MSRP (~50% higher)
6800XT --> $340 over MSRP (~53% higher)

It’s pretty bad look for AMD IMO

The lack of reference cards and actual MSRP cards from AMD makes their slides from the announcement effectively lies.

Meanwhile, there’s pretty consistent reports of folks getting nvidia FE cards from Best Buy that are still listed on the site for $699.

This also really makes the comparisons online stupid, since it’s not reasonable to compare a 3070 to a 6800, since the 6800 is nearly twice as expensive.

1 Like

Depends on the country and scalper. AIBs are willing to scalp on AMD cards because people are willing to pay Nvidia prices per off record GN interviews. The problem in this case isn’t the scalpers, it’s the buyers stupid enough to pay these prices for AMD or Nvidia cards.

Microcenter for example had $650 6800s (who knows for how long). The equivalent Nvidia card is such low volume, the MSRP is there to attract people to get them in the store and buy a higher priced AIB card.

People complain about scalpers but seem to forget retailers, AIBs and vid card makers are scalping also. They seem to accept the ladder but only complain about ebayers and the ilk.

AMD lost some points with me on the launch of the 6000 series.

The markup on AMD products MSRP is insane.

Complain to the AIBs. Per GN’s interview people are willing to pay those prices. AIBs are jacking up their margins regardless of what AMD prices their cards. People are willing to pay for Nvidia prices so AIBs will increase them as long as people will pay it.

And yet, with the same AIB and the same model, RTX cards are closer to their MSRP than RDNA cards.

I doubt there is a difference in demand for these cards, as all are gone instantly.

Why is that?

$2000+ 3090s is not near FE prices.

Up until this month getting a 3090 aib for $1600 was pretty consistent. I actually had several opportunities to get them but chose not to.

With Ethereum at $1300, it gets harder to buy a card. It will take some time before the worst ends.

Nvidia 3000 and amd 6000 notwithstanding, virtually ALL gpus that have been relevant over the past 4 years are just gone.

1 Like

Sal is spot on. I’m getting really nice offers on my 1080 ti and VEGA 64.
Also, trying to collect on existing A100s is getting harder now. Some of my suppliers are trying to squirm around cheaper prices I paid earlier.

On the other hand if I want 100+ 3090s or 6800s it’s cheaper than paying retail prices in bulk. No idea if they can actually deliver though.

1 Like

Makes me wish I loaded up on $260 5600XT’s a while back.

They’re easily double that value right now.

It’s been rather interesting watching the sites of even a builder like Ibuypower and what they have available.

Back in November you could get anything from a 5500 to a 6800, or from a 1030 to a 3090. By the end of December your only option AMD side was to pre-order a 6800 or 6900 and on the Nvidia side you either bought a 3000 series or dropped down to a 1030.

In the last week or so the 3060ti is gone but you can at least drop down to say a 2060, a 1660ti, a 1650/1650 super or still get a 3070 and they grabbed some 5600xt from somewhere.

It’s pretty rough out there.

Check out Newegg.ca and they got a 3060ti for $849 lol. Not a 3rd party reseller either and still charging for shipping. Guess if ppl are spending that much off scalpers you might as well skip them and sell direct for the same price. :roll_eyes:

Yeah, we are back to 2017 now.