New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Probably an email to WoWUI@blizzard.com (as mentioned by Trallyne above) or Hacks@blizzard.com, which is what the support articles mention. Those are one-way mail accounts, you won’t hear anything back.

2 Likes

Looks like they’re asking for a monthly subscription according to one user.

but requiring a monthly subscription is just absurd.

3 Likes

No no… just a donation thanking for your support… done once a month, automatically charged unless canceled.

3 Likes

No it isn’t. It’s not requesting money in the game and the base add-on is free of charge.

People who write code are not required to give you the code for free. It is their intellectual property. They can charge you for it.

1 Like

At which time you’ll stop getting the data for the addon.

Totally not charging you. I see how mistaken I am. lol

Except Blizz’s ToS says you can’t do that.

So yeah, you can totally charge for it. Except you can’t.

13 Likes

…How about just Limit Instance Tools? That’d be lit. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

the… inclusion of Complexity results in an acronym that is actually banned on this forum. hahahaha

4 Likes

I know. That’s why I went for LIT instead.

I wonder how many dumb people actually paid for this garbage.

With 12M downloads I suppose there’s alot of them.

Obviously this needs to be dealt with.

4 Likes

Feel free to link where the terms of service says that.

There was a blue post in 2009 citing a page which no longer exists. That policy no longer exists.

That probably includes a hell of a lot of downloads before whats his face went nuclear and removed all the data…

2 Likes

That was hard to find /s

9 Likes

Blue Posts are not Terms of Service, so I guess it was too hard for you to find.

1 Like

“Blizzard employees stating the policies are not the policy”

Boy, really interesting take

15 Likes

12 million downloads is not actually a lot when you put out a lot of updates and have a rabid fanbase itching for the latest download. Look at the count per versions and you can get an idea of how many people use it.

1 Like

Unnamed employees making a forum post does not constitute a legal contract. It’s not that interesting of a take. It’s more of a “Boy, that’s really obvious”.

1 Like

Thats what curseforge does and pays for it by selling ads and subscriptions to their service.

Nnoggie keeping his addon updated requires no servers on his part.

1 Like

World of Warcraft User Interface Add-On Development Policy (2018)

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Offering NPC data to only those that pay clearly falls under “services related to the add-on”. Importing that data to make the addon usable could also be considered a “premium” version of that addon.

People have already shared the NPC data on pastebin, and Blizzard is very likely to take issue with this given the popularity and impact of this one addon. I expect after Blizzard steps in, the man child in question will either re-add the data or walk away from the addon, at which point someone else in the community will step in to replace it.

16 Likes

Santa comes just in time:

17 Likes

i was talking about premium tsm and other premium versions of otherwise free addons that have data that is not on curses servers