New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Blue Posts are not Terms of Service, so I guess it was too hard for you to find.

1 Like

“Blizzard employees stating the policies are not the policy”

Boy, really interesting take

15 Likes

12 million downloads is not actually a lot when you put out a lot of updates and have a rabid fanbase itching for the latest download. Look at the count per versions and you can get an idea of how many people use it.

1 Like

Unnamed employees making a forum post does not constitute a legal contract. It’s not that interesting of a take. It’s more of a “Boy, that’s really obvious”.

1 Like

Thats what curseforge does and pays for it by selling ads and subscriptions to their service.

Nnoggie keeping his addon updated requires no servers on his part.

1 Like

World of Warcraft User Interface Add-On Development Policy (2018)

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Offering NPC data to only those that pay clearly falls under “services related to the add-on”. Importing that data to make the addon usable could also be considered a “premium” version of that addon.

People have already shared the NPC data on pastebin, and Blizzard is very likely to take issue with this given the popularity and impact of this one addon. I expect after Blizzard steps in, the man child in question will either re-add the data or walk away from the addon, at which point someone else in the community will step in to replace it.

16 Likes

Santa comes just in time:

17 Likes

i was talking about premium tsm and other premium versions of otherwise free addons that have data that is not on curses servers

Right, well good luck, you’ll probably need it seeing as you don’t understand how policies work

3 Likes

the premium stuff for TSM as far as I am aware has no impact on the functionality of the addon. It’s more market analysis than anything else.

The stuff that the clown behind this addon is trying to charge for is actual code for the add-on, which blizzard has stated repeatedly is not allowed.

9 Likes

yup thats why I was saying I have no issue with it and someone needs to pay for the hardware to run all that stuff that is extra. We are 100% in agreement

I saw someone posted it already. Just wanted to let you know that I wasn’t ignoring you. :slight_smile:

Real talk. After the way this weirdo has acted, if Blizzard doesn’t ban him and his addon then I don’t know.

If you need a free version, ManbabyDungeonTools exists now and is the same thing minus the temper tantrum.

14 Likes

How narcissistic do you have to be to disapprove facts with your own opinion?. You want a 6th person to link you the TOS?

6 Likes

Your word salad doesn’t mean anything.

Yeah that’s what I thought

This support article links right back to the blue’s post on the forums.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/21466

2 Likes

I don’t know much about this add on, but if it allows ANYONE to make “data”, then the addon is working fine, and he’s just charging for HIS data. Anyone, in theory, I guess, can publish their own data for this addon.

TSM doesn’t something similar. They give away national market data, but if you pay, then they’ll give you realm market data. But this market data is derived from their own processing of the AH information.

What isn’t clear, and what they really need, is the ability to let anyone publish market data – not just themselves.

But either way, TSM has been doing this for a long time and as far as I can tell, an Infernal hasn’t visited them in the dark of night, so Blizzard must be OK with it (not as if TSM is some stealthy add on).

Here’s the original version!

http://web.archive.org/web/20101124173826/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html

3 Likes

Well, at least MDT’s author wasn’t very thorough.

There’s still a 3.2.9 version of MDT floating around out there that he hasn’t nuked from orbit just yet.

Oh, as a side note: He disabled comments on the addon on Curseforge, like any reasonable, completely innocent person would do. /s

7 Likes