New to pet battles, rotating pets

So it seems that when the NPC beats my pet, they can rotate a pet and still attack.

However when i kill a pet, then the npc brings out another, I want to swap my pet, but that eats my pets turn… Am i doing something wrong?

No, it doesn’t sound it.

There are reasons why your opponent seems to get multiple attacks in.

First, as you know, the pet with the higher speed rating goes first. In cases where the pets have the same speed rating, it’s a crap shoot.

If your opponent’s pet has died, bringing in a new pet doesn’t count as a new turn. He selects the pet to bring in, and whichever pet has the higher speed will go first.

If your opponent swaps a living pet for another living pet, he has used his turn, and you have a free shot at the incoming pet, regardless of which pet is faster.

If you use that turn to switch to a new pet, then he has a free shot at you when you bring in the new pet. Then, after he takes his free shot, it’s whichever pet has the higher health rating.

Say your fighting your opponent and using a snail which (with the exception of Speedy) is a slow pet. Your opponent swaps to Teroclaw Hatchling (which, as a flying pet, has a speed bonus for as long it’s above 50% health). Your snail has a free shot at Teroclaw Hatchling, since your opponent used his turn to swap pets. Next round, your opponent’s Teroclaw Hatchling, being the faster pet, goes first.

Now, say instead of taking your free shot, you decide to switch to Unborn Val’kyr (God knows why, but just for the sake of argument). Your opponent has a free shot at your Unborn Val’kyr, since you switched pets. After he takes his free shot, he’s going to go first next round, since the Teroclaw is faster than the Val’kyr.

When your opponent switches pets, you might consider taking your free shot before you switch your pet, because pet swaps go first. This means, your Snail can get a free shot at Teroclaw Hatchling, then you can switch to Unborn Val’kyr before Teroclaw can attack your snail.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I’m really enjoying pet battling so far!
This all helped :smiley:

Hang in there. Some of it is surprisingly tricky, which is what makes it a fun challenge. Pleasant break from the other WoW things which require you to hit keys really fast, pet battles sort of thing that makes you think.

switching a pet counts as your move in any turn, and switching a pet always goes first regardless of speed.

NPC opponents only ever switch if you use a cc (crowd-control i.e. loss of control) ability and they have a backline pet to swap in.

PvP players switch pets for many reasons.

NPC’s also occasionally have pets with a feign death or other similar ability that they will use to swap out mid turn.

1 Like

get a variety of pets, the biggest mistake most make is getting on a roll until they run into someone built to counter them.