New to Moon Guard

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a dumb post, but I am looking for some info on the server!

I have been taking a break from WoW but am looking to get back into it somewhat casually (mostly RP and some PvP here and there). In the five years that I’ve played this game on-and-off, I’ve mostly been on Wyrmrest Accord. However, I main Alliance and Wyrmrest Accord seems to lean towards Horde as the dominant faction on that server, and I’ve heard that Moon Guard is the opposite.

I guess my general question is, how alive is this server? I haven’t heard much about it so I’m not assuming anything about its activity levels, I just genuinely want to know if it’s a good server to change over to? Also, while I am a big fang of Warcraft’s given lore, I also love it when players add their own lore and backgrounds that add to the immersion and size of the RP opportunities while not breaking lore necessarily (i.e, noble houses and stuff like that). Is this scene healthy on Moon Guard, or is it kind of something most players here tend to stay away from? I briefly checked out Moon Guard’s fandom wiki and there seems to be a huge amount of background lore added by players to add to the depth of the lore and immersion. I am wondering if most of the server population recognizes this as server canon, or if it’s a niche?

Sorry again if this I should have asked this elsewhere.

1 Like

Hello Godrick.
You’re gathering information about the Moon Guard roleplay scene so this is the right place and not dumb at all.

You have the agency to decide if your character will acknowledge any fanon or player created places/lore/events. Period. Full stop. No one should force you to do so. There are lots of players that don’t recognize any of this and that’s okay. They find roleplay and life is good.

I’m sure someone with more Alliance experience will be here shortly to fill in any other data you may need. Moon Guard is a very busy server and, as you heard, with an Alliance dominated population. Welcome and hope you find what you seek!

3 Likes

Thank you for the help thus far!

1 Like

The general savour faire in Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord - the two bastions of RP - has basically a laissez faire to how people interact with one another.

People who want canon can engage or disengage at will. Likewise those who enjoy supplementing their own fanon and roleplaying it out. You will find a large variety of people walking the streets in Stormwind from the very common peasant to extraordinary things.

It’s up to you how you wish to proceed. But regardless you’ll likely find people if you engage them.

2 Likes

Something to understand about “server canon” is that it isn’t some big boogeyman made by a high council of RPers to decide the fate of the realm, but all it actually is is just the normal web of connection that organically grows between groups and walk up RP.

Say, two guilds host an event to kill a demon. For those two guilds, that event happened “canonically”. They killed that demon. Later, one of the participants go to a bar and recounts the tale of the demon slaying to the local barflies.

Assuming General RP etiquette and that the demon wasn’t an actual lore character and the barflies believe the tale. Congratulations, you’ve made server canon. The web of interconnection has grown by a tiny bit. Isolated maybe, but still.

Now obviously that’s a super tiny example, but the general idea remains. What most talk about when it comes to server canon is massive webs and interconnections, where groups of like minded people create ideas and projects.

It’s the same exact thing, but on a much larger scale.

But the thing about these webs is they are all opt in. You hear horror stories of tyrannical guilds and personalities, but ultimately who hasn’t seen a guild with a tyrannical GM, a toxic PvP team, or a loot council who plays favorites? The only difference is scale.

Sure when drama occurs or someone thinks of themselves too highly there is bound to be ripples through a community. Idiots who think that because they are in the “Right” guild they have power over others, but it never ends well for those people. Ever. They never last and are few and far between.

Its all optional, some people love those big webs of interconnectedness while some just don’t give AF. It’s all personal preference. And no homework needed, if for whatever reason you want to interface with a large group and participate? Just ask and people will explain. No need to bury yourself trying to get “caught up” because there is nothing to actually catch up on.

It’s like trying to get “caught up” with social media by reading the timelines of everyone on the platform. It’s very unnecessary and an exercise in futility.

2 Likes