New Sorta Spicy Dungeon Journal Update re: Muehzala

Citation needed.

Citation needed. Blizzard only said the Covenant leaders + Arbiter are Eternal ones, definitively.

The only thing that we know definitvely about the Jailer is that he’s a ancient being who rules the realm of the Maw. Nothing at the moment says he’s a Eternal One. But the dude has been around for a long time

1 Like

Well more than that:

• He was banished by the Eternal Ones
  • He cannot use the Waystone of the First Ones
  • The lock of the Maw is tied to the Heart of Ardenweald, which is an extension of the Winter Queen
  • The Helm of Domination, Plate of the Damned, and Frostmourne were all stolen from Torghast, where he is
  • He jailed the Runecarver at some point and took his memories; it is still unclear when this was or what the Runecarver is doing in the Maw (warden of Zovaal overpowered? prisoner since forever ago?)

I was under the impression that it was the Runecarver who forged the Helm of Damnation, Frostmourne and Plate of the Damned, that the Nathrezim would eventually lock within the Frozen Throne. Was that changed recently in the Beta?

Opps, quoted the wrong part, oh well :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah that’s still, as of right now, what Blizzard has said.

Runecarver made the stuff later stolen and given to the Lich King (or rather, to make the Lich King) by the Nathrezim.

I think they’ve also stated they were stolen from Torghast specifically.

If that’s true, I wonder if those items were orignally meant to empower the Jailer instead, but the Natherzim got to them first?

That’s my standing theory

1 Like

It’s certainly interesting. Hopefully we learn more about the Helm and Frostmourne and the orignal intentions for them.

1 Like

I have a lot of questions that I suspect won’t be answered until Shadowlands, if at all, but…

Is there a particular reason for Mueh’zala’s absence other than Blizzard dragging their feet to develop Troll lore?

We learned in Shadows Rising that a loa’s strength directly correlates to the amount of worshipers and shrines they have; if all he’s worshiped by is the last few remnants of the Sandfury tribe, is it possible that he’s been weakened to the point where he’s now bound to the Shadowlands?

1 Like

Maybe, though I’m almost getting the impression that it might be a result of Death working differently back when Mueh’zala was top dog, and him being stuck in the Shadowlands relying on Bwonsamdi to be his agent in the living world could be a symptom of how Death operates differently now.

Notably his Dungeon Journal entry above speaks of him ruling over the dead as a god to his servants. No seeming investment in balance, or the shepherding of souls to their proper place.

Even the way he talks to Bwonsamdi in the dungeon encounter - calling him “foolish loa!” the way immortal demons and the like regularly call out the players as “pitiful mortals!” - carries a potential implication that Mueh’zala at the very least may not consider himself a loa, and actually may well not be anything like the other entities worshiped by the trolls.

Between Mueh’zala and the Jailer, I get this sense that possibly they might both be holdovers of some prior paradigm of Death, who while cast down and banished, had to be kept around rather than destroyed because they - and perhaps other entities like them - still exist as avatars for fundamental aspects of Death around whom the new “system” needed to be built, despite their old roles being greatly diminished in the process.

3 Likes

If I’d had to guess where Mueh’zala come from, and building on a prior theory I have that the Winter Queen is WoW’s Persephone and she was stolen from the Dream where she was born, ergo why Ardenweald is inherently tied to Wild Gods and the Dream, and seeing how Bwonsamdi has been worshipped alongside Wild God, I’d wager Mueh’zala was the Jailer’s first attempt at creating his own Wild God, a Wild God of Death.

Which was a total flaming hot mess.