New rig suggestion

1st set up :
AMD ryzen 7 5800X ( 8 cores/16 threads @ 4.7Gz)
16GB DDR4 Geil Evo X2 RGB 3600 Mhz (2x 8gb)
512 GB XPG spectrix S40G PCIE gen 3x4 M.2 PCIE RGB SSD
Zotac RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6x Trinity OC

2nd set up:
Intel Core i7 10700k Unlocked ( 8 cores/16 threads @ 5.1 Ghz)
16GB DDR4 Geil X2 RGB 3600mhz (2x8gb)
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
Zotac RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6x Trinity OC

What i want to know is which set up is better? And Can both Rigs handle good fps even at raiding in 1440p ? Thanks for answers !

Personally Iā€™d suggest at least 2 SSDā€™s, one for the OS and at least a second 1or2 TB for gaming and all other apps.
My gamer runs 8 NVME 1&2 TB SSdā€™s, 7900X, 64GB, Radeon VII 16GB, 1200w PSU. Donā€™t need all the PSU power but it runs cool and quiet since itā€™s not being stressed. Quiet water cooling all around.
32GB RAM instead of 16. I can eat 16 GB running multiple games and apps.

1 Like

Option 1:
Motherboard details is missing.

Option 2:
SSD is missing

Option 1 is better if you already have the board. You will need at leasst Noctua NH-D15 to keep the cooling in check.

1 Like

If you donā€™t mind spending the money on a really good AIO like a 360 the 5800x is better.

Just know the 5800x competes with the 10900k not the 10700k. I know itā€™s only 8 cores however its performance is on par with a stock 10900k. Once you overclock the CPU thatā€™s a different story and Iā€™m not going to get into that.

With that being said my advice is to spend the extra money on a really good AIO and go with the 5800x. The Arctic liquid freezer ii 360 is a fantastic AIO and itā€™s only $125 on Amazon. Just keep in mind that specific AIO is really big so your case needs to have a lot of room.

2 Likes

I have to assume a reasonable MB for Option One.
Yes, I think both builds could handle a raiding environment and maintain high fps, but what is high?
60+ ok?

1 Like

yes i mean high = 60+

Iā€™ve got a 10700 in my main gaming rig and 5600X in a workstation. For WoW the 5600X is faster but it doesnā€™t matter in terms of difference. The bottleneck is the 144hz from your monitor most of the time.

With the two setups get whichever is cheaper IMO.

Bad advice if he is going to keep his system longer than a year. 8 core consoles are starting to be a thing. Just as well, 8 core games are in development at the moment. Soon the phrase will be ā€œnothing over 8 cores matter. Games cant see over 8 cores anywayā€ Just as it was with more than 4 a few years ago. 2021 is a mile stone year.

Advising someone to buy less than 8 cores atm for a gaming rig unless it is a ā€œtemporaryā€ rig is bad advice. Gamernexus, jay and techdeals has coverd this many times. A 6 core chip in 2021= 0 futureproofing. An 8 core? yeah you will be fine for the next few years

For sure, sorry Iā€™m not saying to get a 6 core (my rig is for workstation uses and not gaming). My point is him to get a 8 core chip either way.

1 Like

I just cringe when I hear people talk about a 6-core CPU in 2021. Because Iā€™m always like dude thatā€™s not going to be relevant except for maybe a year tops.

Iā€™m sorry I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say. There are a few games out that some what do it that you notice of frame rate difference between 6 and 8 cores. 8 cores probably going to be the stopping point with games for the next 3 years or so. What I mean by that is you wonā€™t notice an FPS difference with anything more than 8 cores.

With all of us said the 5800x you will literally have to do nothing to it for it to perform great.

On the Intel not only will you have to overclock it you will have to use 4000mhz ram or faster to get it to beat that 5800x

I talked about this and another thread but from my own personal testingā€¦ My 10900k beat my 5900x in every game ONLY after OC it to 5.2 and using 4200mhz or faster ram. This really does say a lot about all AMD has achieved

2 Likes

Yeah I did all kinds of research on youtube and watched benchmarks, even when they OC itā€™s barely noticeableā€¦ and not worth the tradeoff of changing volt and settings in BIOS for RAM, stock is just as goodā€¦ even FPS prove OC is better only sometimesā€¦ and there is a tradeoff for single core vs multi-thread performanceā€¦ the best OC for AMD is to let the MOBO do ā€˜Autoā€™ā€¦ and let it handle the restā€¦

So I can confirm this is true. I did try OC on my own rigā€¦ barely any difference but I spent hours trying to get it ā€˜perfectā€™ only to be wiped out by BIOS upgradeā€¦ so I am just letting the system decideā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to violate any NDAs here but, Shifty, youā€™ll gonna love Intelā€™s stacked CPU they can execute on it properly in a few years :slight_smile:.

so youā€™re telling us to drop fat stacks on intel stock?

Not exactly.
I have yet to see AMDā€™s response. They might have something nice in the work too.

If youā€™re looking at stocks, the best advice a billionaire gave me was: only invest in what you understand. Made me phat lewtz so far.

not a stock guy lol just the hot topic around my circle since gamestop and now dogecoins.

Iā€™m waiting to see if AMD dents the server space. Intel/Nvidia still reign supreme for most systems used in my workplace. Even SSDs are strictly Intel for some dumb reason or another.

Hoping OP got their answer since theyā€™ve been MIA.

1 Like

You have to remember the biggest client Intel has is the federal government.

Intelā€™s business dealings with the federal government would have no effect on their stock price whatsoever if it did their stock price would be double if not triple what it is. Government contracts do not affect stock prices. The private sector only controls that

This is why some of the governmentā€™s biggest contract companies sell at roughly $5 a share. But that doesnā€™t mean the companyā€™s doing bad. This is why you canā€™t judge how well a companyā€™s doing off just stock prices alone.

AMD as a company barely pulled 10 % of Intelā€™s total company revenue in 2020. Intel 2020= 77billion. AMD= 8 billion. Yet AMD stock price was higher all year long

AMD also has government contracts but nowhere near the Intel footprint Iā€™m sure. AMDā€™s HPC platform even during the faildozer days has very specific use cases.

You also have to remember in additional to the US feds there are other allies (ie Saudis etc) who have similar contractual agreements. So Intel is much bigger than people think. Heck they still produce 486s for missiles the last I heard.

1 Like

Intel also makes the processors in over 60% of the auto manufacturers. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of over the last five years I havenā€™t looked into that in about 5 years

Iā€™m interested to see what our new AVT webscanner system has in it. Last one had an Intel CPU but was running an AMD GPU. When they bought the old one new it would have actually been a heck of a system.