New realm connections... when?

Blizz said at BlizzCon that they wanted to do more realm connections before Shadowlands, but we haven’t heard anything about it since then. Garona’s been dead since Pandaria. It would be nice to be able to recruit and buy stuff on the AH again.

5 Likes

Leave Gundrak alone please, I like my quiet lag free server.

1 Like

probably whenever their contracts with datacenters are up for renewal.

last time they did realm connections they downsized US datacenter locations from four to two, but also relocated some into the oceanic servers

1 Like

Please only group Velen and Eonar with other kind-people-only realms! <3

2 Likes

How about we just make everything into one gigantic server?

(Well, two gigantic servers – one for RP, one for non-RP realms. Just be sure to hide realm names on the mega RP server, otherwise it might explode like a powder keg.)

Failing that, maybe group Drenden-Arathor with a horde heavy realm? Drenden-Arathor is simultaneously dead and wildly alliance favored. :frowning:

3 Likes

They’ve needed to do more Realm Connections since the first time they did Realm Connections. They were NEVER heavyhanded enough with it.

That said, what time is the best time to judge realm populations and make additional connections?

Is it the end of an expansion, when people are trailing off and numbers are at their lowest?

Is it the start of an expansion, when everyone is coming back and things are at their most crowded?

Is it 8-10 months into an expansion, right near the middle?

Because if it’s that last one, we’ve missed our window, and while they know connections are needed (they obviously know, they mentioned it specifically), now might not be the best time to finalize anything. Which is frustrating, since it should have been done ages ago, but might be what we’re running into here.

Server Population Statuses aren’t artificially maintained to provide a choice of server size for antisocial players or something. You aren’t meant to actively choose a low pop server specifically to avoid a crowd. EVERY server is meant to be High Pop. Things just don’t turn out that way over time.

This might be a bit mean, but I firmly believe people like this need to be completely ignored when it comes to something like Realm Connections. The connections are for the health of the game. That overrides your desire for a ghost town of a realm.

3 Likes

Whoa there big guy, didnt mean to ruffle your feathers, i mentioned lag free servers (which you ignored) and frankly high pop servers are too toxic and overly competitive for my liking, thanks.

3 Likes

In Garona’s case, it doesn’t matter, the realm is perpetually dead. Most guilds left the server when Blizz decided not to connect Garona to any realm. 99% of players I see running around in Boralus are from CRZ. Sometimes I check the AH for flasks or enchants and there are none of the kind I need.

Agreed. Most people are not on dead realms by choice. (I mean I could CHOOSE to realm transfer but 1) I can’t afford to transfer all the toons I need and 2) I don’t WANT to and leaving would only make the problem worse for everyone else.)

My realm is completely dead. We have a whopping 2 guilds that even attempt to do raids. I’d just like a chance to play with other people on the same server.

It’s not right that I have to pay to move or abandon everything I’ve worked for.

2 Likes

120 servers is completely unnecessary. You could probably merge the bottom 100 in terms of population to make about 20 different servers.

5 Likes

They could, and they should.

WHAT? Okay that’s crazy. As the duly appointed (by myself) representative, consider this an official invitation to be the fourth in the Kirin Tor/Sentinels/Steamwheedle Cartel group. Okay, Blizzard please make this happen.

1 Like

I was looking at the realms, and the bottom SEVENTY-FOUR realms haven’t even gotten their realm first M N’zoth.

My realm alone has more 12/12M Guilds than some realms have raiding guilds in total.

4 Likes

They should just connect all of the realms into one mega realm.

1 Like

Two mega servers would be fun… but they’d have to redo the naming system, no way a single 12 character name is going to work with all of NA smushed.

1 Like

They should add last names and optional spaces, apostrophes, and hyphens for either first or last names (or both).

3 Likes

I’ve said this for a while now…

The technology, support, and population is there to merge everyone. We could easily have all RP servers merged into one per region. And have 10 regular servers per region.

The problem is that merging means accepting the subscribers are low (because obviously we aren’t playing with 5M+ players if so many servers are dead let’s be real). And that doesn’t sit well with a board of investors.

The other problem is this game has WAY, and I mean WAY too many nostalgic, old, addicts playing this game. Those people blood pressure shoots at the mere thought of change. They are attached to their pixels in a very unhealthy way and are very loud when it comes to refusing change.

Blizzard likes to listen to these people too often.

2 Likes

Not enough I say.

2 Likes

Sounds like opinionville to me :inspects:

2 Likes

How about this then to appease your idea. Blizz creates the servers you mentioned and offers free transfers to them from any server. Now the small realm lovers can have what they want (they just won’t transfer) and big realm lovers can have what they want.

2 Likes