New player, PVP question

Brand new playere, LOVE the game so far… have a question on PVP. Never done it, really don’t want to… but I keep seeing how I can get some amazing gear from it for a small commitment and I just don’t know what that means… Like what do I have to do and how long does it take? Not looking for anything to just be given to me, I want to earn it, I just don’t know what I need to do and what is required to start earning great gear to judge whether or not I want to spend the time on it.

First thing to note is there are rated and unrated forms of PvP. In unrated settings you gain honor (and a little bit of conquest) and in rated settings you get conquest. The gear is sometimes termed “honor gear” and “conquest gear” respectively.

PvP is a really good source of gear currently, and honor farming is one of the fastest way to gear up (the other being campaign gear). Once you’re well honor geared from unrated PvP you can start dipping your toes into rated for even better gear.

Honor is a type of currency you gain from killing other players, and a major source of honor is participating in Battlegrounds (winning gives a lot more). Other ways to get honor are quests, which involve Battlegrounds, and can be picked up in Oribos from the Master of Conflict area. They are weekly quests. To start gaining honor you queue up for battlegrounds or epic battlegrounds. There are different maps with different objectives.
Note: it is currently battleground week. You will gain 50% extra honor doing battlegrounds this week. At 60 there’s also an extra quest you can pick up for winning battlegrounds, which will give conquest and honor. You can also get extra honor and conquest by winning a BG and an Epic BG once per day.

Read up on the battleground maps online. Just get the basic knowledge on them and go fight. Battlegrounds go up to 15v15 I think, depending on the map. Epic battlegrounds are 40v40 and a bit more complicated involving PvE elements. Epic Battlegrounds are a good source of honor. To queue up you press (I think) default H key and under Player v. Player tab -> Quick Match you queue up for Random Battlegrounds or Random Epic Battlegrounds. You can start queuing for battlegrounds I believe starting lvl 15.

Ask the guards for location of the master conflict in Oribos. They will point you to where you can buy your PvP gear. Mind you, you have to be max level to buy the gear. But the current meta is to level up in Battlegrounds and buy honor gear once you hit 60. Note: honor caps out at 15000 points. To see your honor check the currency tab (default hotkey C I believe). At max level, you can buy the honor gear and then upgrade. Note: to upgrade your gear to highest ilvl (197 currently) you need to progress your covenant campaign which you start at lvl 60 and after picking your covenant. To upgrade the gear you talk to one of the people where all the master of conflict NPCs are located.

For rated PvP, there are rated battlegrounds and 2v2 and 3v3 arenas. You need partners to do those. This form of PvP will push your limits, and you will have to start reading about your class in PvP and about PvP to gain full mastery to succeed. It’s not overtly complicated, but practice makes perfect. You can buy conquest gear from the master of conflict area in Oribos also. You can slowly build up conquest points from other sources (like quests mentioned earlier, or the daily wins) to buy a piece or two in tandem while you’re gearing up with honor gear.

If you want to gear up quick I recommend you do variety: rush the covenant campaign, do pvp, but also do dungeons and weekly world boss. PvP gearing is relatively quick in this expac, but I believe covenant campaign is even faster. Take advantage of Battleground week to get honor.

Holy cow… thank you so much for taking the tiem to write this up and explaining… I completely understand now… again, ty

1 Like