New player (on the realm)

Hello, I wanted to try the RP in WoW since I’m a D&D nerd and I just created a horde char on the realm!
I have a couple of questions, since I’m new to all the thing: How does the roleplay work while playing? It’s like a “walk in” or more like a planned thing?
Which addons are good to use? I downloaded only TRP3
And… when it comes to guilds, it’s easy to find a non elitist one? I mean, I don’t mind the canon or the non-canon as long as I’m having fun!
thanks in advance for the replies and sorry if the thread is confusing, but english is not my first language!

1 Like

Both exist. If you’re Horde and looking for “walk-up” RP, you’ll want to look in Silvermoon or the Valley of Honor in Orgrimmar. For pre-planned events, you can find events advertised here on the forums, in various in-game or Discord communities, or in a guild.

You don’t really need more than that. However, I like to use Listener, which creates a separate chat panel showing only chat from the person you have targeted, which is very helpful for times a lot of people are typing.

It really depends on the guild. There are guilds that are more laid-back about following the lore, and there are guilds that expect you to strictly follow it.

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have you with us :smiley:

Can be either/or. Planned events are absolutely a thing, but there’s also nothing wrong with taking a stroll and seeing if anything going on catches your eye. If their profile says they’re cool with walk-ups, it means you’re free to engage them in IC conversation. Don’t be shy!

This is a personal preference, of course, TRP3, CrossRP (allows for cross-faction RP), and Gryphonheart Items are my favorite. I can’t speak to GHIs current functionality, as I haven’t redownloaded it yet.

It’s pretty easy, yeah. There are elitist guilds, for sure, but I don’t think they’re the norm. If you give more information on what exactly you’d be looking for, we may be able to even give you a few to look into!

I’d also like to mention that I run a discord server specifically for helping people WrA socialize and share RP info, art, and story ideas. As well as just talking about the game in general, or whatever other nonsense we’re up to.

Go ahead and check us out if you’d like. If not, absolutely no problem. People gotta branch out in the way they’re most comfortable. It’s a good place to start making friends here, if you’re interested.

And welcome again!

3 Likes

GHI is more or less dead at this point. It hasn’t received an update since April, and even that didn’t fix much. The replacement these days is TRP3: Extended.

Thank you guys for the reply!

Well, I search chill and friendly guilds that do dungeons, raids and events. Not hardcore raiding because I’ve little time to play because of work!

I’ll definitely check the discord!

1 Like

Hi Tasrel!

Zenrao and Thulnir both already gave some great advice. TRP should serve you fine, although if cross-faction RP does sound like something you want to try, I second downloading CrossRP.

If you want to start with walk-ups, I’d check out the Wyvern’s Tail in Orgrimmar’s Valley of Honor. That’s a big melting pot of all character types and races. You may have to be a little outgoing and interact first if you want to get attention, though. There are usually a lot of people standing around on their own, waiting to be spoken to, but unwilling to take that first step on their own.

As far as guilds, I’d say the majority of them are pretty welcoming and patient with new roleplayers. At least Hordeside, “elitism” has taken a major backseat in the last few years. I’m sure Alliance is the same. Check out the Horde Guild Directory here and peruse the forum to scope out the RP guilds currently recruiting. There are a tooon of different types. Some are race-exclusive (like Forsaken or Goblin-only) and have a focus. House/nobility RP is popular among Blood Elf guilds, warband RP among Orcs, mercantile among Goblins. That’s not to say you can’t play a warmongering Belf or a peaceful Orc, you’ll just need to shop around for a guild that suits you.

Your English is better than plenty of native speakers’, by the way. You’ll do just fine in RP.

edit: guild directory link
https*://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/horde-guild-directory/34747

Is this stand alone or would I be forced to use TRP3?

For accessibility reasons I don’t use TRP3.