New player hate

I have not played wow since TBC and I am now returning to the game. I started to run dungeons to level but when I do I get kicked out of group more often then not. No one wants to tell you how to do a boss and will just boot me when I ask. the community is toxic and from what I have seen will not allow new players to the game. just my rant and opinion on the topic.

2 Likes

Most players use the in game dungeon guide, YouTube videos for the dungeon, and Addons like bigwigs or deadly boss mods to let them know what shenanigans a boss is about to pull.

The add on GTFO will also alert you when you are standing in stuff that hurts.

Bottom line is you need to do homework first. Particularly at this stage of the expansion when people have already run a given dungeon 10 or 20 times.

While I think doing your homework first is accurate for current end game content, it can be difficult and time consuming to do for every previous expansion. Instead, if I’m leveling a new class that I’m not too confident playing just yet, my general rule is to always follow the tank closely and make sure I don’t pull extra in leveling dungeons. If they’re kicking you because your damage is low you could read up on a class guide, specifically if it has a leveling section.

Please don’t feel defeated; toxic players can be vocal, but there are also some really great, helpful players in the community!

1 Like

Usually I just wing it, lol. If I never been I just stand by the person in the back since I am ranged dps and just wing it as I go. my rotation I know by heart and is pretty solid which is good. practice at the target dummies to get your new rotation down since a lot has changed from bc. I been playing off and on since Vanilla came out. Stopped at Panda release.

Yea the community now a days on wow is so toxic and horrible I just spend most of my time alone doing my own thing which is running low lvl dungeons/raids for pets and mounts and gold or questing. I don’t really do mythics for the exact same reason you have. I struggle with learning the new mechanics and just by watching videos or reading about it doesn’t tell me crap. I actually have to do it a few times to understand it and no one is willing to take a newbie like me in. I mean my guild I am in would, they offered to teach me and are pretty great but I feel bad being carried by them plus I don’t really care for mythics or raids.

If I do, do a mythic it would most likely be a mythic 0 or 1 thats about it. which are fairly easy to do.

1 Like

My problem with this reply is that it removes the community element from the game. What is the point of playing an MMO if not to establish camaraderie?

The attitude of “I shouldn’t need to have to tell you that, you’re an adult” is a poor one IMO: You wouldn’t act this way to face to face with someone in person, so why are you acting this way to someone online?

E-thugs stroke their own ego by talking big and down to someone else from behind a screen. They think they’re not hurting anyone, yet they don’t see the rotting pit forming in the depths of their own mind.

TL;DR: MMORPGs are for community, so be nice to one another.

3 Likes

Absolutely. And at the end of the day, if you’re looking for that social aspect or for a community, one of the best things we can all do is find a guild that suits what we’re looking for. My guild is the first place I look when I need to fill a group for dungeons. You can meet a lot of really helpful people in guilds and communities, it’s just finding the right one!

True, but older expansion content is pretty trivial by the time you hit 120 anyway. Even if you are doing instances “at level” while leveling up a character. Success or failure in an instance isn’t going to affect a character for more than a couple of days.

For BfA instances, I think it’s reasonable to expect that a person has at least some familiarity with the content and mechanics of group encounters. They should at least have a vague idea of what to expect rather than assuming their ilevel is enough.

This, I don’t hate new players but I’m not going to invest my limited play time in helping them through something that they can research themselves unless I’m getting some benefit. Being grouped with random players from all over the world (US server region I guess) means the chances of ever meeting that person I spent an hour helping is almost 0. However someone that joins a guild/community I’m in is someone I will invest many hours helping and teaching because in the future they will be able to help me in return.
It’s all well and good talking about community but the auto queue and even premade group systems are not a community and do not foster one. It’s essentially taking 5 people from random places on half the planet, instantly teleporting them to an island in the middle of the pacific and saying if you do this challenge you will get some tiny reward, you can leave whenever you want and can retry the challenge any time. Given the reward is so low you can’t expect people to invest much into getting it.

1 Like