New player, clarification on macro, please help

Hello Macro forum :slight_smile:

I’ve read about 50 posts ranging back to 2014 and have had mixed results on what is acceptable for macro use.

Here goes:

1. The macro must be made within WoW using the macro tool, things such as Razer Synapse or Logitech G-Hub Or any external software is forbidden.

2) Binding spells to modifier keys such as shift+1, or ctrl+1 is allowed, or am I mistaken and this constitutes two key presses for one action technically as the rules state 1 key press = 1 action?

3 ) Binding additional M1-M5 keys or Mouse keys e.g Mouse 4/5 to 1 spell is acceptable? Example Mouse 4 bound to charge as warrior?

I apologise for the very basic question as stated I’ve read about 50 posts and seem to be unable to clarify a definitive answer on these things and am hoping someone can clarify.

Kind Regards
Soul.

See you all in Azeroth & Thankyou.

#3 - definitely acceptable
#1 an 2 are a bit more grey area.

The generally accepted rule is 1 action per key press so you could argue that a modifier + key = 1 action from 1 macro’d key press because modifiers themselves cannot trigger actions. While others may argue that technically it’s not. Use at your own risk.

As for Synapse macros they’re generally frowned upon but I have no idea how much they’re enforced. I know high end Havoc DHs were using Synapse to create animation cancelling macros for Fel Rush and used till Blizzard patched the animation cancelling issue itself and I never heard of anyone actually being banned for it. Use at your own risk.

This is technically all Blizz says on the subject:

Cheating

You are responsible for how you and your account are represented in the game world. Cheating in any fashion will result in immediate action. Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

Exploiting other players is an equally serious offense. Scamming, account sharing, win-trading, and anything else that may degrade the gaming experience for other players will receive harsh penalties.
Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:

cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

bots; i.e. any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that allows the automated control of a Game, or any other feature of the Platform, e.g. the automated control of a character in a Game;

hacks; i.e. accessing or modifying the software of the Platform in any manner not expressly authorized by Blizzard; and/or

any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that can be used in connection with the Platform and/or any component or feature thereof which changes and/or facilitates the gameplay or other functionality;

I want to be clear terminology here first:

What you’re calling “Binding spells to modifier keys…” - if that means using the Blizzard API to build direct Keybinds within the game - that’s fine - if that means SENDING a modified key from a single keypress on a device - that’s a no-no.

I did some extensive work building a custom UI and a custom hardware input suite (two sip-n-puff switches, two pressure sensors for under his thighs, coding for an eye tracker and a head tilt sensor - that sort of thing) for a disabled veteran two years ago and dug very deep and very hard into this with Blizzard as I wanted to know what the boundaries were that I wasn’t allowed to cross (no point in investing in $2,000 worth of custom hardware only to get banned for using it).

First of all, they’re very cagy about giving direct answers to any of this, but after probably twenty different interactions I finally go this much.

ANY multi-key combination sent by a single keypress from a hardware device is against the TOU. That includes combining modifier keys with normal keys.

I got a LOT of hate on the forums for pointing that out at the time with what amounted to “But I’ve never been called on it” responses from way too many people, but it’s fact.

The terms of use are very clear. One keypress, one action.

If you don’t think that a modifier key is a action on its own, build a macro that says this:

/run print(IsModifierKeyDown())

Drop that on a button somewhere.

Experiment with running it with different modifier keys pressed.

What’s within the Terms of Use regarding programmable input devices is that you may send one (1) keypress for every hardware event - period.

You can send any keypress you want, but you can only send on.

I have a thumb joystick on a G13 that I have the left and right directions on set to the control key and the alt key.

One of the special buttons on my M990 mouse is the shift key.

I’ve got a foot pedal that sends a “P” value (my push-to-talk key of choice).

My GF has two foot pedals that send “Q” and “E” values (stoke victim, can’t use left hand, allows her to strafe and shoot if she can move strafe to something other than the keyboard).

There are a ton of creative things you can do with . . . odd (that’s a kind word) input devices, but to stay between the lines you need to limit what each key on each of those devices sends to a single keyboard key equivalent.

Do you have a source?

Several emails that I would have to cut-and-paste in and would be of little value as validation as such are subject to manipulation. Three phone calls. One GM conversation in-game logged on a PC I no longer have.

I suppose that would amount to a “no” but the TOU is very clear - one Keypress, one action.

The difficulty comes in when the “I want to program my Uber Keypad” folks want to define an action as something other than what Blizzard defines (in this context) as an action.

If it sends a keyboard value, it’s an action.

Shift, Alt, Ctrl, the Windows key, Page Down, Page Up, the Arrow keys. They’re all “actions” in that context.

I’ve heard arguments that “Shift+S” (for example) is okay because it only sends one value (Upper Case “S”) - but no.

I pressed HARD on this stuff with Blizzard because I had a guy who was spending literally thousands of dollars trying to stay in the game after injury and botched repairs had just about taken him out of life itself and I didn’t want to waste those resources.

Aside from the fact that it’s just an awful idea to combine modifier keys with regular key values at the hardware level, it’s a (minor and not often punished) violation of the Terms of Use.

Hello, Thank you all for your responses and clarification.

Based on what I’ve read here I’ll be sticking with the 1key = 1 action rule perfectly. I won’t bind the shift, or ctrl, or alt “modifiers” etc. Example: Shift + 1 = cast charge as the technicality of it being two keys despite modifiers not working solely on their own etc it’s definitely not worth the risk especially with the amount of time I’m planning on putting into this game.

In regards to synapse, G-Hub etc. Fortunately I haven’t even attempted this yet as I’m very new to macro’s entirely. I definitely wont use any external software only the in game macro tool (Esc, Macros.) Thank you Elven (I don’t know how to reply to multiple players my apologies.)

In regards to what I meant by modifiers I was referring to the Shift, Alt, Ctrl Modifier keys such as using a shift + as stated in the macro sticky thread and as stated above.
Fortunately older threads definitely made it clear binding multiple abilities to a single key press e.g. cast every hero ability to say 1 is definitely a no-no I understand that clearly.

Thank you for clarifying further, I definitely understand the limitations with all Key bindings, the use of modifiers (in this case NONE) and Macro creation (Just the in game one, (Esc, Macro’s on the game menu.)

I hope this helps other players in the future.

Many thanks.

All the best and see you in Azeroth.

Soul.

There is plenty of magic you can do with in-game macros. If you need help with those, reach out.

Elvie is pretty much the go-to guy for those although I know my way around some of the more (let’s call them baroque - insanely complex is so judgy) things you can do with macro chaining.

np lol, we’re here pretty regularly so we see em even if we’re not directly replied to :slight_smile:

1 Like