New PC Advice

Hello!

I am in the early stages of designing a new PC and am looking for any advice that I can get. I’m not a stranger to building my own, but am really bad about keeping up to date with hardware trends.

My current PC is ok but has been having performance issues lately. I typically play WoW or Diablo 4 but the occasional AAA. Baldurs Gate 3 was the last one, which ran but had a rather rough time at it.

I know WoW likes a good CPU, but I would like to design something that is good for about 5 years. I have also heard that AMD has been doing rather well the last few years so I’m open to going that route if they are the best choice. If I can I would like to keep using my current monitors (I think they are ok), and I’m not looking for a full 4K setup (but I’m not entirely opposed).

My budget would fall around the $1750-$2000 range.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Current PC - Built March 2019

CPU - Intel i7-9700K (Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz)
GPU - EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC (8GB GDDR5)
Storage - 2x Delta S 1TB SATA III SSD
Memory - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Z390 ATX
Power Supply - Corsair RMX Series RM850x 850 Watt
Case - NZXT H500i
OS - Windows 10
Monitors - Dell S-Series 27in S2719DGF (2560 x 1440 155 Hz)

1 Like

Nothing Now.

Both intel and AMD are dropping new CPUs in a few months. AMDs launch at the end of this month and intel will be more like October. Nividia will drop new GPUs at the end of the year.

Wait

I can wait, it’s not a huge hurry. That would give me some extra saving time as well.

1 Like

Smart move.

Any indication of when the 9800x3d comes out (or just Zen 5 x3d in general)?

1 Like

Word around the water cooler is September/October

The news that’s been breaking the past few days about the intel 13/14 series is really supporting this, especially if your timeline for zen 5 x3d is correct.

1 Like

What news? Can you elaborate?

The short version is the 13/14 high end intel CPUs are failing at an alarmingly high rate.

1 Like

Even on something as simple as WoW? Should I find a PC that runs AMD?

You can tweak settings to delay it, but if you’re unlucky, it’s inevitable.

If you’re on older intel (IE: 12 series or lower), this does not apply, and if you’re in the market for a new PC: wow loves amd’s x3d platform.

Thank you, and I am. Just have no idea what Im doing. Ive never done this much research on a PC. I just know after 8 years, mine is starting to die. It currently runs everything on the highest setting…but load screens are boss mode, and loading into Valdrakken and Stormwind take considerable time.

You’re at kind of an interesting spot, because we have new Zen 5 (AMD Ryzen 9000) coming out in a week and a half, but the big thing wow likes is CPU Cache, which is the benefit of x3d, and Zen 5 x3d isn’t expected to be out for a few months.

That being said, if you need a new system now, the 7800x3d is still a fantastic CPU, and it competes with the intel i9s (when they are stable) in gaming, in a lower price class, with lower cooling requirements.

I will realistically only play WoW. I can wait, i dont think my current pc is gonna blow up anytime soon. I may look at other options though, now that I somewhat know what to look for

Yeah.

Honestly, building a PC isn’t actually that hard. I think it took me about 2 hours as a 1st time builder to build mine.

1 Like

I agree with a lot that you said but for me I will probably be picking AMD over Intel for quite a while for 3 reasons.

1. They are more innovative
  2. They seem to focus on balancing power, efficiency and performance
  3. The X3D CPUs are sick for gaming
  1. platform longevity for longer than 2 architectures.
1 Like