New issues: WoW is sporadically freezing up

When I play WoW, I’m running into an issue where my computer is sporadically freezing up (in 2 second increments) which continues to get worst until the entire computer freezes. Seems to only be WoW that does it to my comp, and a reset brings it back.

I’ve noticed the issue is brought up when I do mythic dungeons.

Can we troubleshoot this?

1 Like

Hi Vierth

If this is mostly or only occurring in Mythic dungeons it is likely an addon or UI issue. As a test try a full UI reset:

As I mentioned this is a test. If it doesn’t help simply remove the OLD from your original folders then delete the new folders the game installed. This will return your original settings

Hi Tratt,

I’ve done that recently actually. I was wrong saying it only happens in M+, as now just trying to load into the game freezes up, and then my entire computer becomes extremely laggy with 3-4 second delays between movements.

WoW will not end task, even in the task manager, and the only way to get it back to normal is to hold down the reset button. When looking at my stats, literally 0% of my GPU is being used and no more than 10-15% of my other resources.

Could this be an addon, literally locking down my entire computer?

Let’s have a look at a DXDiag report see if anything shows up there:

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion of the link: https://pastebin.com/**Qk28Ed1P**)

Try the UI reset again if you haven’t. That reset fixes a very high majority of the games problems.

A simple fix is most likely switching from DX12 to DX11. I had this issue for a few weeks before I discovered the fix. I can tell no difference in performance or appearance of the game after making the change other than the game now works.

I have absolutely zero idea why, but this issue completely resolved itself.

What gives? Oh well. Let’s run with it. Maybe it was an addon that got updated.