New Instance Limit in WoW Classic

Except nobody was complaining about that until after the change was made

This.

10chars

It would if I still cared, I could do 30x on my alt and not be stressed about my main but since the change came out I started raid logging. Put me in the disenfranchised but not yet quitting club. They still haven’t made the one change that actually matters which is creating a tool to actually track the lockouts.

This most recent change doesn’t help your expanded view of what “exploitative behavior” means, it’s there as a stopgap because they’re having trouble banning bots before 60 not to stop boosting, farming and everything else you like to think exploitative means.

5 Likes

The “mountain” is a small number of players and their alts creating the illusion of large numbers.

4 Likes

Whatever makes you feel better.

You’re not using logic. You’re shutting your eyes, plugging your ears, and shouting, “We can bypass it! We can bypass it!”

I pointed out that this was intended to buy them time to ban bots before they could become profitable a week ago:

And they explicitly confirmed it now:

You have yet to explain how transferring servers and/or creating more accounts is leveling the bot faster so that it can become profitable before they ban it.

2 Likes

It slows bots down. But a lot of bots still lasts months before they get banned.

I get their goal is to slow them down. It just doesn’t seem effective to change their leveling speed from 2-3 days to a week when it can take months to ban them.

I get why they made the change, it’s just not effective.

1 Like

Is this detestable change still implemented?

1 Like

You and I have no idea how long it takes for the bots to be profitable or how long it takes to ban them. Be honest. You don’t know whether or not it’s effective.

1 Like

Yep, because Blizzard doesn’t care if they hurt players with their changes.

2 Likes

Let’s look at how long it takes people of in game played time to hit 60.

When using boosting to level, someone did it in about 2 days played time. When using the normal strategies of not boosting players typically saw about 3-4 days

So taking both of these into consideration and assuming a bot would be able to be boost leveled in about 2-3 days. Now that that isn’t as much of an option because of the limit I assumed it would take them 2 times longer to level as they can’t purely boost. Which leaves me at about a week to level.

This is using known parameters of players who leveled effectively, reducing the effectiveness by about 50% because of bots being less effective to get the 2-3 days leveled with boosting. Then adding in the dungeon limit being reduced to force bots into the open world, and doubling the time taken again. Then adding an extra day because of open world inconveniences like another person having killed stuff where they are farming, or killed them. This is how I get to about a week of time used for them to level, instead of the time it likely took them before of 2-3days. It’s an educated guess, that’s true. But it’s likely reasonably accurate.

Now, considering the bots are also using pathing hacks, like fly, wall, ground hacks. All they need is to hit 60 to become “profitable”. They don’t need good gear because they hack as well.

2 Likes

This is a valid point; the video showing the fly hack starts by inspecting the bot, which was wearing sub-par random leveling gear.

At the very least, Blizzard has confirmed this is entirely intended to target bots. Confirmed instance pathing and farming are acceptable behaviors. And reduced the restrictions to try and find a middle ground with legitamate players.

Regardless of what software company you work for, whether you develop games, business software, or utilities on phones, every change you make hurts a portion of your customers. When making decisions, product management has to decide whether the costs outweigh the benefits. They care that players are hurt, as is evidenced by the latest change that made the restrictions per character rather than per account. They’ve determined, however, that the benefit from this change (buying more time to ban bots before they become profitable) outweighs the cost (ticking off a marginalized segment of the player base).

1 Like

When it turns 2-3days into a week, it’s not very effective considering they take months to ban bots at times.

Again, you have no idea how long it takes them to ban bots. Repeating “months” over and over doesn’t make it true.

1 Like

Well, considering I still see bots that were farming 60 dungeons 24/7 still there, a month after this change happened…

And they aren’t hard to identify. They have ajdyrianav type names no guild, and spend 24/7 online. As I I checked at 2am, online 6 am, online, 12pm online, 3 pm online, 5 pm online, 8pm online, 12am online.

It’s not that hard to identify a bot. And I’ve reported them, it’s taken on average from my experience a month for them to get banned.

2 Likes

and blizzard thanks you. keep reporting and have fun playing :smiley:

22 years of IT experience and I’ve NEVER been in an environment where that is acceptable or didn’t get someone fired.

So each company to their own I guess. The places I’ve been at prevent those things and test our software and changes so they don’t hurt anyone, even moderately or minimally.

And if they do, we fix it within 72 hours. Those are the contracts, those are the expectations. I tend to not do business with companies that don’t believe in those BASIC customer service paradigms.

Video game companies are the only ones that I’ve ever been involved with that are shady on that part. And Blizzard has become one of the worst. Likely in part because they have a captive product and their customers can’t go anywhere else if they want it.

6 Likes

So I can’t play my mage for more than 6 hours, but if I waste 5 days of playtime and regear another mage I can do the same thing? What the absolute hell? Just remove the damn limit so I can play my damn toons. What does it matter one or the other? So what there are botters! Deal with them and stop screwing me over. I just want to play the damn game.

9 Likes

IT is not software development. You have hundreds or thousands of internal customers. Software companies have millions. Clearly you have no experience in the enterprise space. One customer’s bug is another’s preference. You try and accommodate as many customers as possible, but pleasing everyone is absolutely impossible.