New hunter pets: Dragons?

Can we finally get tamable dragons in dragonflight? (cloud serpants dont’ count)

3 Likes

I mean, they’re sentient creatures in WoW lore so it’d be a bit odd.

Enslaving a dragon that can speak to you and turn into a humanoid at will.

Unless you want to enslave children before they learn to speak and stunt their growth so they can’t resist you.

We’ve killed a lot of dragons but WoW dragons are basically people.

12 Likes

Dragons are sentient beings. Might as well make humans tamable.

14 Likes

some of the pets we tame are already. Like cloud serpents, crows, robo animals, etc.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say enslaving but yeah you’re right. I dont think the dragon aspects will take too kindly of dragons being told what to do when they’re one of the most powerful beings on Azeroth.

Maybe our dragonriding mounts could help fight alongside us in the Dragon Isles?

Putting aside the fact that it wouldn’t be taming but enslaving, dragons are huge, even the smaller drakes. The only version small enough to be a pet is babies and enslaving a baby is just barbaric. Plus, in lore, every dragon on the new isle should attack us on sight if we stroll in there with an enslaved baby.

2 Likes

As dragons are sentient, it’s not likely. Drakes however, are NOT considered sentient, so…maybe.

If you need pointers on how to do it ask the Dragonmaw clan. They have a particular proclivity when it comes to enslaving, I mean taming, dragons

1 Like

I’m almost certain Deathwing has more experiments that’ll be tameable.

2 Likes

Protodrakes are tamed all the time by npcs and the other body options shown for drake riding might be dragonkin instead of actual dragons so getting some dragon adjacent tames would be cool.

For actual dragons a hunter quest to save a befriend one to fight with you would work since we have plenty of dragon mounts working with us for similar reasons.

1 Like

don’t we already take them as mounts?whats the difference between moutns and hunter pet?

2 Likes

The orcs tamed red dragons in the past and in the end it did not work out well for them. Alexstrasza and the other higher-ups will likely frown on the concept.

You got me there. I guess lore reasons, dragons are far too smart and powerful to be tamed, idk if that makes sense but since mounts don’t really matter in lore they could break it.

Yeah you got me in a pickle over here lol.

Pretty sure any dragon mount is a willing participant to be ridden, ignoring dk’s undead and similar of course. Usually for being the savior of their group or some such.

Maybe instead of calling them pets we call them pet-allys. And instead of taming them, we draft a contract of friendship with terms such as hosting bi-weekly steak-outs.

“But they’re sentient!”

i mean so are demons, but that ain’t stopping warlocks.

3 Likes

Making a dragon our ‘pet’ is absolutely revolting. Dragons are above all, and making them submissive to a mere mortal is disgusting.

Ewww no tame a druid

1 Like

For many, there’s an implied bond or partnership involved, a la the Netherdrakes vowing to travel with us, the Guardian of Time giving us the Bronze Drake for saving him, etc.

That said, plenty of them just fall under the rule of cool.

If dragons were ever made “tameable,” Blizz would ideally make a new system to accommodate it, possibly akin to a game like Persona: No taming, instead joining you as an agreement, and they get classified as a companion instead of a pet.

1 Like

I’m against taming all & any Dragons / Dragonkin in Dragonflight — given the lore & the fact that they’re sentient intelligent beings. As Tovi said, might as well make humans tameable - and the same arguments & debates could later be used for Worgen too.

As for proto-drakes & the more savage amongst their kind - Not all protos are lacking of intelligence, after all that’s where the Dragon Aspects came from.

— At the very most, I could see where hunters get a quest from Alexstrasza where they can tame a raging savage Proto-drake - One where she wants to tame its fury, but not put it to death. Then have the hunter taming it as a partner be a worthy alternative solution.

Later on give cosmetic items you can infuse the drake with, much like Hati to change its appeals / perhaps some earnable ones through content like in Legion.