New Hotfix - World Buffs in Raid Log

Perhaps, but it’s ultimately pointless outside of parsing, and are we really going to change a 16 year old game over parsing? Nah, that’s dumb.

Sixteen years tends to give people plenty of time to figure out how to min-max. They aren’t hurting anyone’s experience by doing so, stop crying.

7 Likes

It’s hurting lots of people’s experiences. Do people actually enjoy spending an hour of tedious buff stacking, only to keep your character logged off from anywhere from an hour to days? I mean, I guess it’s fine if you don’t want to play the game on your main outside of raiding.

4 Likes

Then don’t get them, lol

6 Likes

This is absolutely huge! It means a non world buff competitive PvE meta is actually possible, since WCL can now algorithmically determine whether buffs were present or not. This could be a massive boost to the health of the game, since world buffs will no longer be mandatory to compete on parses and clear times. Thank you thank you thank you Blizz!

6 Likes

Ok what is the point of this again?

3 Likes

Faerlina still needs a layer

1 Like

I feel like this is a very biased and subjective statement. Take me for example. I tend to play for 4-5 hours a day and I have 2 level 60s, another toon that will soon be 60, and then my bank alt.

My raid time starts almost right at the start of my normal play time. So every Monday about 30-45 minutes before I log off I take my main to Dire Maul and pay some hunter there 5g for an invis pot and the ability to join his lock out that he’s soloing. I grab my DM buffs, and hearth to SW. my second 60 is a mage so I group with myself and port my main to Darnassus. I fly to Felwood and grab my songflower buff then log out and go to bed. The next evening when I log in to play I hearth my main to SW, my guild drops the Ony buff and as a group we head to STV for the zg buff and then port to IF and run to BRM.

My total time spent gathering buffs in game and in real time is … 30 minutes? I don’t miss any time playing on my main… I don’t log my toon out for days gather buffs… I don’t pay obscene gold for the buffs… it’s absolutely not an inconvenience in anyway shape or form for me.

In my subjective opinion, anyone that thinks gathering world buffs is too hard, or too time consuming, or too costly is just being lazy and doesn’t want to do it.

And the idea that people log their mains out for multiple days to conserve buffs is laughable. Are there people that do that? I’m sure there are. But there’s absolutely no need to do it. If your guild requires word buffs then they should be popping an Ony head and a zg heart for the guild at raid time meaning you should only have to grab songflower and dm by yourself. You can do it an hour before raid time if you don’t want to log for it.

5 Likes

The point is that Warcraft Logs can now determine directly from the uploaded log whether or not your group had world buffs when killing a boss. It’s only a matter of time before separate parse categories for “world buffs” and “no world buffs” become a thing, just like there are separate speedrun categories for BWL with or without trash skips.

2 Likes

Except that is what people do with classic raids, nothing more than that really.

1 Like

Sure, but if that’s the case, this hotfix lays that issue to rest. Nothing needs to be changed, really as far as how the buffs function.

So you’re saying they spent their time doing this instead of banning bots?

2 Likes

A simple API tweak to the combat logger takes far less effort than fixing the botting problem. Plus it’s not clear that they even want to eliminate bots, since it’s bringing them more subs. Regardless, saying “this other thing I hate about the game invalidates the improvement you just made to another area” is stupid and unproductive.

1 Like

subconsciously were all bots…

World buffs are bad gameplay.

I love Classic but that is an ugly, ugly wart.

5 Likes

The way people act around world buffs is kinda funny, like how defensive of them they get. It’s like you are taking their child away or something by suggesting they are detrimental and you personally would like them gone.

They turn into attack dogs, it’s entertaining.

4 Likes

You’ll be done with it after Classic, then.

Till then, that’s Classic, baby.

1 Like

some are less conscious than others for sure.

1 Like

Kind of pointless, the speedrun is more class stacking and efficient movement, the holder of the top buffed run should easily get a similar slot in the buffless list.

1 Like

I suspect the meta will be quite a bit different though, since the gap between melee and casters will be smaller and plenty of buff slots will be opened up. The speedruns also won’t be able to cheese as many mechanics as they can currently since DPS will be substantially lower.

1 Like

As someone who’s had a wipe before getting to a boss before, they can cheese all the same mechanics.

1 Like