New Graphics APIs in 8.1.5

does DirectX11 support multiple GPUs?

can anyone please help me lol my boyfriend is running windows 7 and he needs to update his directx to 12 how do we do this, we literally need a step by step of where to go because we are noobs lolol thx

DX12 is Windows 10 only

1 Like

I am MOST EXCITED for this, but for now, as a lowly Linux WINE user, I need to spend who knows how long figuring out how to get WoW to run, again.

2 Likes

it’s funny how the cpu usage look when
DX 11 legacy - 1 thread
DX 11 - 3 thread
DX 12 - 2 thread

is there a new command line argument to switch to dx11 legacy from the launcher?

Any other updates you might be able to hint that you did for Linux users like myself? I know you don’t support linux directly, but everything worked fine yesterday. So something in this patch presumably this change also changed how it’s handled in wine.

1 Like

Please see: Linux Client? thread, along with numerous threads from Windows users, detailing issues with these new changes. The game has become nigh unplayable for Linux users, whether they are using Wine Staging with dxvk or Wine with vkd3d. In addition, some Windows users are reporting graphical errors, changes in refresh rate, poorer performance than before these changes were implemented, crashes, system hangs and much more.

1 Like

More importantly, when are we getting our actual exclusive fullscreen back? Just to remind everyone, the game is TEMPORARILY running with only window options. I say temporary because this can not be a long term situation, it does not give the application exclusive access to the GPU and other hardware so
performance, responsiveness (input lag), sharpness and functionality is diminished . No other games come with window only options and it was removed in BFA, yet we had it since day 1.

5 Likes

Hate to burst your bubble but exclusive fullscreen is never coming back and most new games will not support it either. DX12 works better in windowed full screen and doesn’t really support true fullscreen, and before you say anything there are already tests out there showing that no exclusive full screen can not run in DX12, it was a WFS that was made to look like EFS. Any game that runs on DX12 doesn’t have EFS it has WFS with a different name to make you think you are using FS.

1 Like

Is that why Metro Exodus, the current most bleeding edge Direct X 12 game has shipped with ONLY exclusive fullscreen AND has great performance?

2 Likes

There is only a performance hit in borderless windows and DX12 if you have gsync on. Borderless windows is literally working the same way as exclusive fullscreen with DX12, Microsoft has posted that this is the case. There is also rumors that Metro Exodus doesn’t actually run exclusive fullscreen and simply calls borderless windows mode EFS. There are people playing it that are getting refresh lines while playing with gsync on, that pretty much proves it is forcing borderless windows mode. DX12 doesn’t support EFS.

While I can’t say for sure whether DX12 supports or does not support Fullscreen, I can say that I definately lost the performance, responsiveness and sharpness when going from DIrect X 11 Exclusive Fullscreen in legion to BFA beta on Direct X 11 Windowed and Direct X 12 windowed.

1 Like

(Just quoting to ping those who directly asked)

Hey all,

As far as DX12 in Win7, two things have to be considered:

1. Your GPU card needs to support it. Not all of them do. If the card doesn’t, you won’t have access to DX12.
  2. If the GPU supports DX12, you must make sure that your drivers are current. Be sure to update them if you don’t see the option in-game.

For more info:

Dude, thanks, Doomwaffle! I was getting a bit annoyed.

From an Older Hardware, (especially Older Graphic Switching Laptop), User … THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH

Serious, when you rolled back to Legacy 11 just after the last patch hit… after the load times tanked on my Laptop prior to that… I was psyched. It was working again! I was scared it would never be fixed, because a lot of us were under the supported hardware line. This Legacy 11 Support, is absolutely the best representation of top edge support from Blizzard. It really shows us you care even about the little guy, who is struggling and cant just upgrade when a new patch hits. Thank you… so much. I can’t even say how much happiness this brings me.

Thank you. Using Ubuntu/Lutris to access WOW, switching to DirectX 11 Legacy fixed my 1 fps issue.

Are there plans to extend the new DX12 support to multi-GPU. I understand that it requires the developer to take advantage of this vs the old SLI way where the driver took care of it for the developer.

I’ve noticed that in my dual RTX 2080Ti setup, the Single GPU DX12 performance seems better than going to the new DX11 render engine where SLI is then active.

1 Like

-d3d11legacy should work

Hi Kaivax,
Is Blizzard committed to making substantial further improvements in multi-core DirectX 12 support in patch 8.2 and further down the track? I think the recent improvements were really great.
Regards,
DanR