New Graphics APIs in 8.1.5

There is only a performance hit in borderless windows and DX12 if you have gsync on. Borderless windows is literally working the same way as exclusive fullscreen with DX12, Microsoft has posted that this is the case. There is also rumors that Metro Exodus doesn’t actually run exclusive fullscreen and simply calls borderless windows mode EFS. There are people playing it that are getting refresh lines while playing with gsync on, that pretty much proves it is forcing borderless windows mode. DX12 doesn’t support EFS.

While I can’t say for sure whether DX12 supports or does not support Fullscreen, I can say that I definately lost the performance, responsiveness and sharpness when going from DIrect X 11 Exclusive Fullscreen in legion to BFA beta on Direct X 11 Windowed and Direct X 12 windowed.

1 Like

(Just quoting to ping those who directly asked)

Hey all,

As far as DX12 in Win7, two things have to be considered:

1. Your GPU card needs to support it. Not all of them do. If the card doesn’t, you won’t have access to DX12.
  2. If the GPU supports DX12, you must make sure that your drivers are current. Be sure to update them if you don’t see the option in-game.

For more info:

Dude, thanks, Doomwaffle! I was getting a bit annoyed.

From an Older Hardware, (especially Older Graphic Switching Laptop), User … THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH

Serious, when you rolled back to Legacy 11 just after the last patch hit… after the load times tanked on my Laptop prior to that… I was psyched. It was working again! I was scared it would never be fixed, because a lot of us were under the supported hardware line. This Legacy 11 Support, is absolutely the best representation of top edge support from Blizzard. It really shows us you care even about the little guy, who is struggling and cant just upgrade when a new patch hits. Thank you… so much. I can’t even say how much happiness this brings me.

Thank you. Using Ubuntu/Lutris to access WOW, switching to DirectX 11 Legacy fixed my 1 fps issue.

Are there plans to extend the new DX12 support to multi-GPU. I understand that it requires the developer to take advantage of this vs the old SLI way where the driver took care of it for the developer.

I’ve noticed that in my dual RTX 2080Ti setup, the Single GPU DX12 performance seems better than going to the new DX11 render engine where SLI is then active.

1 Like

-d3d11legacy should work

Hi Kaivax,
Is Blizzard committed to making substantial further improvements in multi-core DirectX 12 support in patch 8.2 and further down the track? I think the recent improvements were really great.
Regards,
DanR