New Forums - not cool web people

Not sure how you’re posting links Snow, I get a ‘can not post links’ warning every time I try.

For instance

Edit: ok so you can only post ‘approved’ links. Imgur you can’t post, guild forums you can’t do it - anything not white flagged by them.
No on Wow Logs, Raider IO - Bet you can post WoWHead’s virus of a page though.

1 Like

Bumping is allowed, unless the rules have changed with the new forums, of 1 bump per 24 hours. So, no, it’s not spam unless done more frequent than that.

1 Like

Well to be fair, there really isn’t much of a good system provided by blizzard for guild recruiting, even the in game tool is barely functional and provided very little information needed for proper guild recruitment.

Is there a list of approved websites?

I know that at least on TL1, imgur is not approved – although that may not be a bad thing in the long run. But a list would come in handy.

As someone who has recruited the last two expansions - forums have always been a easy mode of delivery. WoW Progress works, discords work - but 75% of the time, WoW forums are the easier way in terms of cost per recruit.

So bumping - ok I can have guildies help out. This linking system, where WoWhead gets a pass (a site that without adblocker you’re computer will melt) but Wow Logs don’t, Enjin guild sites don’t, or what ever you’re using for your guild.

These restrictions are annoying to say the least. You can’t even copy paste a guild info, as it’s ‘body is to similar to what you’ve written’ - why, for bots? All they have to do is add a 1 2 3 at the start of a new post to bypass that.

Please revert, cut back on these new rules, and/or fix things. Forums are cancer enough - this isn’t helping.

2 Likes

It says in the New Forum Guide that links are generally postable and that the system will automagically™ try to parse them into hyperlinks, but only at higher trust levels. It also says you can put single “tick marks” (which I believe to mean apostrophes) around a link and it should display as text, if you’re not authorized to post links:

http://www.youtube.com

Maybe it’s just that you can only post links to the “approved” websites until higher trust levels?

EDIT: Well, apparently either I’m at a higher trust level than I thought I’d be (maybe they were gathering data from our previous forum usage to have a baseline when the new forums went live?) or the “approved website list” idea is a solid one, because even though I put apostrophes on either side of that YouTube link it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is very inhibiting to a friendly person such as myself.

Hey there a tick mark is the key just below the ESC key. The apostrophe is not the same.

Also, I discovered they changed the rules where Trust Level 1 users can post trusted links (and works in all different game forums on the new platform), I am confirming if this is intended or not.

1 Like

What is, not being able to bump threads? That seems to be most of what the fuss is about at present. Jury’s still out on links, but they seem workable and that was the only other complain that the OP had.

No, having limited likes. I plowed through my likes last night in no time.

I assume it limits the popularity contest aspect to posting but dang it, now I have to type more! :rofl:

2 Likes

Seems like communication is working fine, be specific in your posts :slight_smile:

You can post links… they are just not always going to be converted to hyperlinks. But you can do it this way: www.example.com You just enclose the link in a pair of ``

All web layouts are “stolen” from someone…what was the point of even saying that?

When you reach the Trust Level that allows you to use the hyperlink function it will be available to you.

This practice has always been against the Code of Conduct for all forum areas, they just let it slide more in the recruitment sections.

You don’t need to bump threads anymore due to the new features such as…
Advanced search
Notifications
New Post area
Unread post area
Tags
and more.

I get that a lot of folks don’t like change, but you’re complaining about something that is a non-issue due to the better tools these forums provide without actually looking into how they actually work.

5 Likes

http://www.youtube.com

I see! It works! Thanks for that clarification. I suppose this would be a lot easier to parse if we could actually see what our trust level is (even if we didn’t have access to a specific breakdown of why it is what it is), but that explains it.

Ah, I missed that bit. I guess I can kinda see the usefulness in that, any guess on roughly how many you managed to go through? XD

It was done on general discussion a lot as well when people didn’t think their thread was getting enough attention. That is one thing I am glad is gone.

2 Likes

Exactly. Especially when they’d simply go /bump to do it. Just forum spam.

2 Likes

Psst… I’ll tell you a secret… the number is 50 but it is still letting me like. Every time I do though, it tells me I have exceeded my likes for however many more hours (which is currently 8).

1 Like

Replies within replies? What is this, the Inception of forums? The Xzibit meme of forums?

I prefer the old style. This one is too confusing.

1 Like

Amine!! You made it to the new forums! I say new forums, clean slate. What do you think? :grinning:

You should not be able to bump threads, it was spammy.

3 Likes