New Forum Guide - Syntax and Features

This, too, is valid. Folks don’t want to read garbage.

For me it’s dealing with a narcissist who has been cyber stalking me since Mists of Pandaria, has a million alts, whose very presence is uncomfortable. Without the ability to block him, and have it apply to his entire account, I risk engaging him and thus inviting his interaction and possibly having my entire harassment case thrown out because of it becoming a disagreement between players.

No, flagging people doesn’t work when people are are gross in game but not on the forums. Narcissistic abusers are charming, they’ll fly under the radar of forum moderation because they aren’t technically breaking the rules even if they’re making their cyber stalking victim extremely uncomfortable.

It seems the developer of this software is wholly against protecting people from harassment because ignoring harassers doesn’t create “civil” discussion apparently.

2 Likes

Another great Discourse feature-- you can unpin or un-sticky posts yourself after you read them, so they no longer show up at the top of the forum. Just click the little thumbtack so it points up.

Can’t wait to be able to post gifs and images. :smiley:

For the like count: Does it only refresh based upon time spent on the forums?

I went to bed at 1 AM with it telling me to wait 11 hours.
I hopped back on here at 10 AM, and it’s telling me to wait 9 hours to like again, and 11 hours to post again.

I don’t see it say anywhere that our like count is based upon time spent navigating the forums if it is, and that’s just annoying.

Stupid question. Do you need to complete each bullet point to rise to the next trust level or is more a one or the other type deal?

All conditions must be fulfilled to reach the next trust level. For example, for regular users here, no one is going to get to Trust Level 3 until at least January 4th, 2019 (assuming they visit the forums every day since they launched yesterday).

1 Like

Mark that day in our calendars. It’s gonna be a party.

4 Likes

I’ve done everything to get to trust 1 and still have a topic post limit, so I don’t think this is accurate in terms of “unlimited topics & replies”. I’ve not run into any reply limit, but the topic limit is still there for 1.

You can use the same format as the old forums.
[u]Underline[/u]
Underline

I find it silly that
__Underline__
Underline
Creates bold text instead of underlining while

**Underline**
Underline
Also creates bold text.
In addition to
[b]Underline[/b]
Underline

Is yet another method for creating bold text.
Seems like a screw up that there is no button in the composer to easily underline selected text. In addition I find it silly that surrounding text with " __ " Bolds instead of Underlines, as one could reasonably expect it would.

1 Like

Thank you for discovering this, I have updated the guide appropriately.

Thank you for all this info this helps me a lot :blush:

the new forum sucks so bad omg

1 Like

Challenge accepted!

(I was also one of the first to get the achievement on wowhead for a year of continuous log-ins)

Thank you so much for the reply, that clears up some confusion! They really do need to add the underline button back in.

So, the dislike button was removed because people used it for the most logical reason - disliking the post. Mmmmmkay.

3 Likes

Look at it this way, Blizzard wants you to participate in constructive discussions with fellow members of your community. The problem with the dislike button to use it for simply disagreeing with the content of the post simply was not healthy for players to provide feedback for that game (not just World of Warcraft). If a post no matter how constructive it was had a net amount of 10 dislikes, it was shaded out, if it got a net 50 dislikes, it would be hidden from view. By taking the time to express what you disagree or dislike about a certain post or reply, you are more constructive to that user.

Well, I found a hidden thing. You are limited to 100 posts on your first day.

However, can simply switch characters.

Luckily I have an army of mages in matching outfits and names to allow for easy recognition.

Needless to say, I was shocked. Shocked I say.

1 Like

I think the issue with this, at least from the perspective of a WET and Story Forum regular, is that people will post something entirely incorrect about the lore, and new players coming by to read it will take it at face value and believe it. Typically, they’ll read the first (incorrect) reply and call it a day, so further corrections are missed.

Disliking allowed us to quickly dissuade misinformation from spreading. A new player will see all the downvotes and scroll down more.

5 Likes

I have another quick question. While bumping threads often can be looked down upon, recruitment threads are important to help other players see what they are looking for and they move forum page fast.

I run a community and rely on the forums for not just recruitments but, announcements too as to the community announcements are not seen on login and also to give players valuable information.

This morning I got the message ‘another player must post on this forum before you can reply’. Is there anyway around this? If not are there any plans to change this specifically for guild/community recruitment?

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve heard people are hitting a 100 reply limit per day, but switching characters seems to reset it. Try posting on another character?

1 Like