New Forum Guide - Syntax and Features

Hmm one thing that might be nice, if the website devs could manage it…

a spoiler command, that allows spoilers to be posted in a thread, but hidden unless you expand it…

1 Like

This can be done.

But there are no buttons for it in the composer box.

Syntax
<details> Stuff you want hidden </details>

Stuff you want hidden

To have something other than “Details” as the description of the hidden text, you need to use the summary tag as well.

<details><Summary>Spoilers</Summary> Stuff you want hidden </details>

Spoilers Stuff you want hidden
12 Likes

Gonna bookmark that post. Thanks!

1 Like

Saw this here and was wondering if you know:

When I click on other people’s names, like yours, I get a drop-down with two buttons, “view activity,” and “view profile.” When I click mine it only says “view activity” with no “view profile” available.

I can search my profile through the armory, but it would be nice to be able to do this more quickly from the link in the upper-right hand corner.

Also this is still showing me as 113 and I dinged 120 yesterday. Do you see the same or is this perhaps a browser cookie/cache thingy going on?

I checked my settings and I think I have privacy settings turned off…

Oh and one more thing. I can’t post links (not Level 3 yet) but others apparently can. Has this forum been up for 100 days or do some people have Level 3 (or partial Level 3) privileges before the earliest January-ish timeframe where the 50 out of the last 100 days can even be a thing? (Maybe they were on 50 days in a row? There hasn’t been 50 days since the launch of the new forums, right?)

ETA: Looks like it might be links to a trusted domain vs links to any site issue. I’ll try to link something here like this comment to test.

Yay! That worked.

Keyboard shortcut is (g,p)
Alternatively, you should be able to click your portrait at the top in the upper right> opens drop down> and then click on your character name in the upper left of the drop down to view your own profile.

This gets me to my “activity” (stats about my forum posting habits) but not my “profile” (gear, achievements, etc.).

Oh, you want the armory?
Yeah, only way I know of to access the armory is from the old site.

New forums don’t seem to link to it at all.

Yeah – although some people (like Bluspacecow), when you click on their name you get a choice between the two. Not sure why some and not all. I checked my settings and nothing obvious popped out at me as the key thing to check or uncheck.

Try logging completely out of the forums , clearing your cache and all Blizzard.com and battle.net related cookies the log back into the forums.

1 Like

You rawk. Just logging out and back in worked, actually. No cache-clearing was necessary. :slight_smile:

Although blizzard dot com and battle dot net seem to be flagged as links I can’t use even when I’m quoting you. Those aren’t trusted sites?

1. Font is too big. 14-16px is fine.
  2. Why is the font so thin!? 300 weight!? it’s less legible…

Also not sure why it took this long to implement Discourse forum software. Overwatch has had it for what, a year?

Just seems… Half baked. Work was done but not attention-to-detail work.

Is this the WoW forums or a social media popularity contest?

2 Likes

HTML Entities

Discourse can use HTML entities to replace certain characters and so can these new forums!

simple me old china !

it’s 'cause the forums like to interpet certain characters next to certain other characters so will auto-format them on you.

Let’s say you wanted to type the path of where addons live post 8.1

If you did -

C:\Program Files(x86)\_retail_\Interface\Addons it would give you -
C:\Program Files(x86)_retail_\Interface\Addons

or maybe you wanted to say the new wow folder is the _retail_ folder under World of Warcraft but each time you put the the forum goes retail thinking you wanted the retail word in italics (noooooo silly forums nooooo!)

HTML entities are to your rescue. When posting a post or editing a post replace -

Underscore characters or _ becomes &lowbar;
Back slash characters are &bsol;
Forward slash characters are &frasl;

Syntax is generally

&HTMLEntityName or &#HTMLcode (a number)

So eg

&#10086; ❦ <---- a pretty leaf
&#10083; :heavy_heart_exclamation: <---- heart drop
&#9829; :heart: <---- heart
&copy; © <— copyright symbol

The list goes on! I use -

As a reference as it allows you to search on symbols or the names of symbols

3 Likes

It appears that the ability to make wiki posts has been moved to level 2. Just noticed the icon to do so on my post.

Please update to reflect this.

Interesting. ~ Lull

So when will blizzard and the devs actually reconnect with their communities in those games and care more about a good game with good content instead of the corporate greed that has taken over blizzard since activision joining? I understand the need to be profitable but you got your success somehow and now it would seem the company has disconnected itself from all of its fundamentals that got them this big.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but what is the syntax for posting a long straight line/spacer? This appears in the OP’s post to separate each feature.

Above

Below

^^ like that? Just add 3 underscore " _ "

Above
___
Below
1 Like

That is it, thank you for the help!

1 Like

Why is swearing not allowed you guys have had a mature language filter since forever its one of the best things about you when someone tells me not to swear I tell them to turn the effing filter on they don’t see swearing and I get to swear

The filter is not an excuse for using profanities. It is there as protection for parents who do not want their kids seeing the words but it doesn’t block the intent behind it and therefore we’re not allowed to use profanities. Basically, we still see that you’re swearing.

1 Like