New Druid Weapon vs. Hand of Rag - Keeping Legendary Weapons Relevant to all of SoD

I just got my hand of rag this week. I’m very happy with what Blizzard has done with this weapon, however, I saw the data mines of the new druid weapon. The new druid weapon is better than a Legendary only a phase old. I’m not a fan of that, I’d like to keep the Legendary relevant for all of SoD if I could. Could it be possible that each phase we could upgrade our Legendary weapon to keep it BiS or as good as each of the new phase bis weapons? Also keeping the weapon relevant will keep MC popping and not die down in later phases. I just don’t think it makes sense to make weapons that are significantly better than prior phase Legendary weapons. It’s Legendary for a reason, not the flavor of the week.

Like I mentioned I just want it to be usable all the way through SoD as relevant damage and not turned into a cosmetic. I think it’s fair that new weapons come out for the ferals that haven’t been as lucky as me. All I’m asking is to keep them relevant and not be throw into the bank to be only used for RP purposes.

Some of the people who are pursuing Thunderfury have similar concerns about it being useful in the future.

4 Likes

With all the gold and work that goes into legendaries, they need to stay bis for at least another phase. With how RNG works, many people won’t build them until the end of the phase… and then they are already outclassed right after they make them?

They should stay relevant and desired even past the phase they come in. Original wow itemization was fantastic because there were things worth going to old raids for. Please don’t make this like retail where the next phase instantly replaces everything.

2 Likes

This is 100% on the design philosophy of the Devs. They didn’t want to change the iconic nature of the Legendaries so this is what we got.

Sorry that your Fire Kitty is getting doused next phase already. At least you got to play with it for a bit. Our Druid still doesn’t have the eye.

I mean they are iconic for the game, shouldn’t be replaced with an epic. Like I said I don’t care if they buff the legendary to be just as good as the next epic in a following phase. I just want it to be good and keep the fire kitty going. Even if it was slightly behind I’d be cool with that. I think there should be other options for other ferals that haven’t gotten lucky. I’d also like them to get a chance to get the eye to drop. Blizzard has a problem with keeping previous raids relevant. This would be a way to do it.

They already have core forging. They could expand on that to legendary weapons as we progress.

Update: Well looks like there is a toy that allows wielders of Hand of Rag to exclusively be fire cat w/o it equipped. Easier fix I suppose. Some people still not going to like that their new Legendary gets replaced by an epic the following phase.

It’s also a bad sign of devs pushing even more gear creep. One of the nice things about Classic is how a decent amount of items remain relevant throughout while still adding enough for the gear chase.

The new druid weapon should be a good catchup weapon for those who didn’t get HoR but it’s definitely a slap in the face for those who’ve put in the effort.

1 Like

Is it actually better

Upgradable legendaries is a great idea. And maybe adding some legendaries for specs that do not normally get one.

1 Like

It is mostly because the raw stats on HoR are very bad/low. It’s roughly a similar upgrade from HoR to new Staff vs from glaive to HoR. The HoR dps side of procs are minor so they don’t really do anything. The proc on being hit is nice for tanking.