New Customization Options for Blood Elves and Void Elves

I will say, anyone who says you can/should be allowed to rp/headcanon as a high elf while playing a void/blood elf but not the other side comes off as a hypocrite to me.

12 Likes

Speculation.

I think the ā€œSecondary Skin Colorā€/ā€œSecondary Hair colorā€ setting, if made real, will mean we can customize Entropic Embrace in the following way:

• You can turn on/off the EB bluish skin.
  • You can turn on/off the EB dark hair.

If you turn the hair off, for instance, your hair does not transform and look like this (Screenshot from a past build of the alpha):

If you turn both off, you look like this (also from a past build, when my Entropic Embrace got bugged):

Hereā€™s the character without EB for comparison:

(Currently, Entropic Embrace in Alpha has reverted to its live effect, with both hair and skin being very bluish.)

I think you can not remove EB effect entirely. At least some shade of blue/purple effect still covers you.

4 Likes

Does the hair actually change, though? It looks the same in all of them, and I donā€™t think it changes in the Live version. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It does in live.

1 Like

That was clear to me a long time ago but recently itā€™s proven here with quite a few.

Yes, it does change in the live version. I have no screenshot comparison, but hereā€™s some shots from Wowhead:

I prefer the darker tint from previous build. The live/current alpha one is too bluish. Maybe we could even select the tint?

1 Like

Oooh, right. Ty. :grinning: Maybe you guys are onto something. :thinking:

This has been going on for a long time now on the forums nothing new. It is just like my opinion > your opinion because my pixels are bigger than yours.

It is just like my headcanon > your headcanon!

1 Like

My biggest issue is that entropic embrace is the only racial that randomly procs and also has such an extreme visual. It should be an optional visual, even for those who like the void theme.

7 Likes

Hypocrite much? The idea with the Shadowlands customisations is to allow us to be who ever we want with the races we have. Since Void Elves and Blood Elves are both the same race as High Elves, then it means that we can be High Elves.

And to deny and say, ā€œno, you gotta be a Void Elf or a Blood Elf, not a High Elfā€, is pretty much a hypocritical response. That is why weā€™ll be able to play as Sand Trolls in Shadowlands. That is why weā€™ll be able to play as Wildhammer Dwarves in Shadowlands. That is why weā€™ll be able to play as High Elves in Shadowlands.

Quoted for emphasis. The only things that are confirmed are whats in the official announcements. And even then sometimes they tweak those depending on public reception.

So at this point, while we can be pretty certain the skins and eye options announced in the original post are going to make it to release, there might be some tweakign around the edges.

And for those hoping for new hair or hair colour options or anything more, you also have to curb your enthusiasm for a moment and consider that those options might not happen either.

Iā€™m not suggesting anyone shouldnā€™t continue suggesting things they would like to see by any means, justā€¦be mindful of what Blizzard has announced vs what you want them to announce so you avoid disappointment.

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what he was implying. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Either Iā€™m getting tired and no reading things properly, or it isnā€™t come up that way to me.

One doth protest to much.

Iā€™m not saying you canā€™t play a high elf. I was mentioning the talk coming from either side that is saying that the other side canā€™t play the high elf.

Any one can rp a high elf as far as Iā€™m concerned. I think You misread my statement.

6 Likes

Probably getting tired :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea, Iā€™m 100% on board for feedback and I hope everyone gets a little something they want out of this at the very least.

I just want to caution people because it feels like weā€™re making a lot of assumptions and conjecture and Iā€™d hate to see people feeling disappointed when those conjectures donā€™t pan out.

4 Likes

Yeah, for sure. You see that a lot on all kinds of threads in GD where peopleā€™s speculations lead them to places that Blizzard never intended to take them, and then thereā€™s a backlash when those players realise they arenā€™t getting what they convinced themselves into believing they were going to get.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. Temper your expectations, for sure. We only know the very specific things they said were coming (which, letā€™s be real, is already a huge deal and really exciting that itā€™s happening at all).

Thatā€™s not to say that people canā€™t request what else theyā€™d like to see or get excited about speculation, but I agree that it feels like things seem to really easily snowball into ā€œwell obviously weā€™re also getting [x]ā€ from there.

5 Likes

This is the hypocrisy he is referring to:

Itā€™s almost like you jumped to bad conclusions without reading everything.

(Commentary): This debate has been going on for so long that people have developed different definitions and standards depending on their sides. Objectively, I understand both sides when they say neither has High Elves. Void Elves were Blood Elves, and Blood Elves are called Blood Elves no matter what their biology is, and would be offended to be called a High Elf. Itā€™s plausible some High Elves in the Alliance defected to the Horde for one reason or another (the Purge of Dalaran or inclusion of Void Elves couldā€™ve been the straw to break the camelā€™s back), but those elves would take up the name of Blood Elf in so doing.

(Speculative): The question becomes, what sets these three different groups of elves apart? The only tangible line in the sand we have left is the faction line, but even that gets smudged when Blood Elves are biologically High Elves.

(Commentary): When it comes to nomenclature, the easiest, simplest, and least confusing method of handling is to say that if youā€™re Horde, youā€™re a Blood Elf, and if youā€™re Alliance, youā€™re a Void Elf or a High Elf, since both exist on the Alliance, and the Hordeā€™s Blood Elves would be seriously offended if you called them a High Elf to their face (lorewise).

16 Likes