New Computer! Where do I even begin?

Assuming if you are not going to tune the PC, maybe.

Ryzen 7 5800X
Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 or EKWB AIO 360 D-RGB
Asus B550-XE
8GB DDR4-3600 C16 X2
GPU depends on monitor resolution
PNY CS3030 500GB or CS3140 1TB
PSU depends on GPU

Casings:
Phanteks Eclipse P500A or Enthoo Pro 2
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Fractal Design Meshify S2 or Meshify 2

If I do 5800x Asus B550-XE or x570 Auros Master? They are the only two motherboards in stock that I would consider. As for the graphics card I have a 3070. I bought two 3070s in the last best buy drop. Got a 3070 Founders Edition for myself and a asus 3070 tuff for him.

I have no personal experience with gigabyte motherboards because Iā€™ve never really owned one Iā€™ve only use them in customer builds so I have no personal opinion of my own I figured Iā€™d ask you

Depends on how much he gonna upgrade. Like M.2 SSDs? If he doesnā€™t upgrade much, go for Asus. If he constantly add storage, go for Gigabyte since it has triple M.2 slots. Bare in mind that Gigabyte board drinks power.

Go for Seasonic Focus GX 750W, Corsair RMx 750W or HX 750W for the PSU.

Well damn if the gigabyte drinks power like that Iā€™ll just stick with the Asus. Asus may be a better bet anyway since it has better power vrms . For the PSU I got him a Corsair RM850x

Like I said, 120-150W just from 5 apps idling. That is with Corsair AX850 which is 80Plus Titanium. B550 eats at least 20W less.

Why does it use so much more power than my asses x570 Rog Hero did?

Maybe all the M.2 slots filled. Maybe i should remove USB 3.0s that is connected but it is not in use.

Thanks itā€™s just a tough call because that b550 asus is the same price as the x570 auros master

Here, some screens.

Asus C8H:
https://pictr.com/image/7RUWV8

MSI B550 Gaming Edge:
https://pictr.com/image/7RipAV

My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master same as that Asus C8H.

Excellent well the only thing he would probably do on his own is memory overclocking he would not touch the CPU.

So would you recommend the b550 xe strix or the x570 auros master. I know he would do memory overclocking at some point using ryzen ram calc. I have always heard gigabyte motherboards are a nightmare to memory overclock on but I have no personal experience with that I figured you would

1 Like

Go for Asus. Excellent RAM OC.

Yeah, I still cant get FCLK 2000 on my Aorus Master. 2000 depends on silicon lottery though. Even FCLK 1800 will crash when stress with Prime95.

1 Like

I purchased an MSI gaming laptop in December for under $2,000. Iā€™ve also purchased a 31.5" curved monitor, a gaming mouse, and a mechanical keyboard since then - total price probably around $2,500 max.

With all settings set to maximum it runs WoW perfectly.

I know itā€™s not exactly a bleeding edge set up but it works well and is within the price range you mentioned. But itā€™s not flashy.

I think I got the computer all squared away, but what do you guys recommend for monitors, a keyboard & a headset?

For a monitor, I was looking at a 34 inch curved one on Newegg w/a 1 MS response time. I know that I previously stated I need 3 for work, but I went to Best Buy to see just how big those monitors are and wow, I think I would no longer need 3 monitors!

Try LG UltraGear 34GN850 34" Curved

https://www.techspot.com/review/2071-lg-34gn850/

RTX 3080 definitely recommended for it.

1 Like

OK Shifty is right do a custom buildā€¦ canā€™t go wrong. I just bought from iBuyPower myself.

If I can offer some adviceā€¦

AMD is the strongest right now.

5900X is reasonable.

I bought Mid tower, RTX 3070 GPU, AMD 5900X, 32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 PRO and ASUS Motherboard

$3300.00ā€¦ yeah sticker shock but if you TRULY want a good machine that will last for 4 years those are the components.

I went with iBP because their site is awesomeā€¦ donā€™t get bogged down with brandsā€¦ just remember chipset type, CPU and Graphics.

You want a 550 or 570 chipsetā€¦ for AMD. I am not telling you Intel because I would buy AMD (trust me). Graphics nVidia is the best right nowā€¦ drivers are solid. I did ALL my research before I bought and what I found is people will tell you to OC and get DDR4 with a certain speed and CAS and they will throw a lot of specs your wayā€¦ just go to iBP build your system with basic stuffā€¦

You want AT LEAST

nVME SSD 1TB drive make sure itā€™s PCI-4 compliant. (Samsung 980 PRO)
RTX 3070\3080 (nVidia) GPU
AMD motherboard (ASUS is the best, PERIOD). I have B550F-Gamer WiFi, awesome, not just because I have one because I did my researchā€¦ 570 are good but they are more expensive and you donā€™t need it IMHO.
16GB RAM ( get whatever they are offering in my case I got a free 16GB upgrade, so I ordered 16GB and I have 32GB installed I took the deal).
AMD CPU Ryzen 3rd gen 5900X\5950x (5950 is a tad expensive so 5900 is 12 core\24 threads more than enough.

Those are my suggestionsā€¦ but AMD, nVidia Graphics, Samsung SSD and basic DDR4 RAMā€¦

You can get a good deal around $2400.00 if you just go with a basic setup and donā€™t get fancyā€¦ and still get AMD.

Let me know how it goesā€¦ maybe save the cart if you want all of us can help you decide on which components are better.

Acer Nitro XV340CK

34", 1ms, 144 hz refresh, 449.00 Microcenter.

Best 34 monitor. under 500ā€¦ there are 1000.00 monitors that are betterā€¦ but is it worth double the price, I donā€™t think so.

Whatever you do get IPS not a VA panel monitorā€¦ again trust me.

I have Logitech everything keyboard, mouse, headset. I have the GPro Powerplay that recharges as I use my mouse but that is 300.00 for mouse and padā€¦ so itā€™s not cheap.

Itā€™s really preference for kb\mouse that you want you will get a ton of responses on this.

Headset there are a couple that are good, both of them Logitechā€¦ but this is probably also preference fit, feel, usability weightā€¦ it depends.

I donā€™t know what is the situation at USA but AMD prices here are ridiculous. 5600X for $80 more, 5800X for $50 more, 5900X for $100 more and 5950X for $100 more. Intel still selling at MSRP or cheaper. They are better price/performance. New Rocket Lake i5 is value champ for mid range.

RTX 30 prices here are currently at double or triple the MSRP price. Alienware PCs are the only viable option if you want RTX 30.

Where is here?

Also Alienware is good only problem is THEY choose components you canā€™t specify drive type, mobo, or RAM you get what they haveā€¦ also there is no option for CPU or Liquid you have to choose a packageā€¦ thatā€™s what I didnā€™t likeā€¦

I wasnā€™t happy with getting what Dell thinks is ā€˜goodā€™ performanceā€¦ I know Alienware has a good rep but I chose custom so I could choose what I wanted.

Malaysia. RTX 3080 now at USD2500, 3090 at USD3500 onwards.

Well IF you can find oneā€¦ they are about 700 and 900 here, so thatā€™s a huge differenceā€¦ I know current EBAY market is like 1000 on up but thatā€™s crazy only taking advantage until the volume ramps up againā€¦

Itā€™s crazy stupid right now for partsā€¦