New computer each expac

And a 2080 is only about ~10% faster on a desktop vs laptop. No real difference unless you’re mad over getting 180 fps instead of 200 fps. Your point? Saving power and being greener is bad or something?

Cherrypicking is fun.

There’s a rolling window though. A PC that was bad 10 years ago shouldn’t still be bad today - it should be in the dump instead.

From my experience gaming laptops tend to struggle with thermals and end up having to power throttle. I understand the newest, more expensive models are better at preventing that from happening, but my 3700x sits at a cool 32c idle with spikes up to the mid 50s during heavy gaming. There’s just no way a gaming laptop is able to accomplish this.

Gaming laptops are also just too expensive in comparison. If you live near a Microcenter, you can build a monster of a rig for a great price. But if money is not an issue and you are the type of person to move around a lot, there’s no shame in just picking up a razer.

5 Likes

Fair point, and it’s of course from everything being packed together. There are ways to knock it down though (e.g. ThrottleStop) so less power can be used (and thereby less heat) without sacrificing performance. That may not be a universal thing but it’s a thing that knocks CPU temps down pretty substantially. GPU typically doesn’t get above 75-80C.

I’m a sucker for these things due to portability/versatility and the fact performance is pretty close to a desktop. To be fair things like GPUs can’t be upgraded (easily), but if I get to the point where a GPU upgrade is needed, there’s no sense in not upgrading everything else IMO.

1 Like

Stop buying cheap prebuilds. Especially gaming pcs from places like bestbuy. If you don’t want to build your own, find a stand alone pc shop that builds customs. A pc should last 4-5 years. Also a custom shop can upgrade you here and there along the way.

Also do a little research and build your own. There are droves of tutorials on how to. Most components are plug and play now days.

On mmochamp site they have tiered build suggestions on the best custom builds. For every price range.

5 Likes

Not to mention display size.

I’ve had my current computer since mop and have only had to change out the heat sink and graphics card. Sure there are upgrade I could make but it still runs great. How are you burning through computers like that?

I use an Omen 15. Got 2 years ago as a present. NVIDIA does its own graphics nd driver upgrades just gotta check the main page.

Honestly the only issue I’ve run into so far with it is one of the keys wore out.

1 Like

My computer’s all been Dells, have lasted 7 to 8 years. Only thing I have upgraded in them is the amount of Ram and the GPU card over time they were being used. They have all been in the $1000 to $1300 price range. My current one I just got this past summer and runs WoW at max graphic setting just fine. So, I don’t know this whole needing to buy a new PC every xpac thing.

3 Likes

Whenever I upgrade to a new computer I always go way overboard with the specs. Then it lasts me for a long time (4 years sometimes, sometimes I upgrade components in between). I also have a laptop I usually replace in between.

You need to pay more upfront for a pc that’ll last longer. That’s just how it is. Paid 1500$ for my pc like 6 years ago, can still run anything with good fps at 1080p and I don’t see that changing in the years to come.

3 Likes

conversely, Im running the same exact rig as I had in Legion. lol…and its just fine…and its a $500 prebuilt Acer with a $100 video card and ram added up to 32GB.
Settings arent on max, but I can turn them up pretty high and still get the 60FPS ive got the settings maxed out at.

2 Likes

My computer is going on 8 years and still good. I’ll buy a new one when this computer craps out.

I wouldn’t play WoW if I had to buy a new computer every expansion.

2 Likes

Pretty much this. You’ll save money in the long run by spending a little bit more now.

I built my last one in 2016 and it still ran WoW beautifully on moderate-high settings when I got my new one about a month ago. If I only played WoW I wouldn’t have replaced it. I only did because it was outdated for some of my editing software.

2 Likes

if you want a gaming rig, desktop is the way to go, unless youre the console sort.
Too many proprietary parts in laptops for my liking…precisely the reason I dont buy certain desktop namebrands…they do the same lame crap. lol.

5 Likes

lol.
Our last computers just wouldnt die. some store name brand …microcenters I believe.
Jesus…i wanted to take a hammer to them because they just…wouldnt…die… and I wanted to replace them.
finally started playing WoW and convinced the wife that we NEEDED new computers to play it good.
I think when i tossed in the video cards I used the same excuse…lmao…'we need these so the game runs better"

1 Like

I chose a workstation rig, which I then ordered with a few customizations (i.e., a gaming graphics card and more memory), because I work at home often, using AutoCAD with very large design files. The resulting machine is a lot of overkill for playing WoW… :smirk:

2 Likes

lol…yeah, WoW runs much better on my machine than some of the new publishing software I bought a big ago.
Might be time to convince the wife we need to upgrade again :wink:

Instead of buying an off the shelf unit, Build, or buy if that’s what you do, a PC with future upgrades in mind to extend the longevity. With so many websites out there to help, it’s pretty simplistic now.

I threw my current set-up together 2 years ago with the plan to upgrade over time as newer hardware comes out (AMD was chosen as they were keeping backwards compatibility for all new Ryzen chips making upgrading cheaper).

A part from a new GPU about a year ago, and some PSU cable extensions, I haven’t spent any money on my system and I’ve still been able to play WoW and more intensive titles at High settings.

Don’t forget you get the added perk of still being able to play for a couple hours if the power goes out.

1 Like