New community council has Story/Lore section

It’s everywhere here. Many said alts are people from the Story Forum Discord who have long since unsubbed, but still browse this place. Unsubbed people can give likes.

1 Like

I did not know that think you doness.

1 Like
1 Like

I don’t think this show will take from his work though to be fair, Fire and Blood Volumes 1/2 are both already out and the Princess and the Queen short story was done years ago too, so the lore and story is all there.

I’d be more worried if he starts writing more Dunk and Egg stories though (which I love also) but he gets distracted it seems

I wish he would write more Dunk and Egg stories, I’d take that over Winds of Winter. Jaime is Azor Ahai, anyways no need to drag it all out.

I would like it confirmed Dunk is Brienne’s great grandfather.

1 Like

I want winds of winter bcz I’m fascinated w faegon

1 Like

Season 8 of the show pretty much killed any interest I had for the rest of the seasons that preceded it.

So right now I am just waiting for the books to deliver the conclusion this series deserves. I am not interested in dipping my toes in anymore GoT content until that happens.

I think the GOT obviously went side ways but I think season 8 was just more of 7 and more of 6, I think season 5 is where it can be pinpointed to really start to not be a vibe, cutting out faegon / Dorne and arianne I think just was a bad decision.

Anyways I totally get having that set a bad tone for wanting to consume more got shows, I was just pointing out house of the dragon has all its lore written basically so there isn’t correlation between Martin and not releasing books, as well seeming a bit more hopeful as far as them not veering from things because they have the stuff all there for them already.

No, I get that, while its nice there is writing out for it already. Its more like I personally can’t bother to get invested in GOT world again if I know the end result is going to be super dumb. I am hoping that the last two books bring it home. Until then there are just so many other shows and other works of art to enjoy.

I applaud people who can look past Season 8 and take a chance with the new show. But for me Martin has to deliver before I can support him again.

blood and fire is…from him aswell :wink:

They should of stopped producing GOT when they didn’t have source material

Or they should have stayed true to the source material. The show really dropped the ball when it came to how they failed to do Dorne justice.

3 Likes

The big problem is, they got ahead of the books that were published and they knew two more were in the works. The later seasons were basically all fanfiction

1 Like

I agree the show imo didn’t work w/o Dorne being the player it is in the books with Arianne and Doran, and Faegon (I want them to marry so bad :sob:)

2 Likes

I know it’s a 3 day old post, but where?

2 Likes

I think this person answered where that comes from, idk if you saw this it kinda got lost in the convo

I mean… I know Nelfs have a few vague references in their culture to Japan, like the arches and a few food items, but honestly, show anyone a picture of a night elf and “Japanese” would probably be the last thing on their mind.

They are hardly “based” on Japanese, let alone a stereotype shrug

Oh I am not arguing in favor to be clear! That post just seemed to be the closest to elaborate on where that poster you replied to got the idea from maybe, I was just passing on the info tbh

I am a bit dissatisfied that no one really gave a good answer to this, but since I have a couple days back on my subscription, I might as well give a stab at it. Having lived in Japan and read a bit about their mythology, I think there are more than just a few architectural references to Japanese culture, which Westerners don’t really know about as they aren’t common in pop culture. Ofcourse, modern Japan is so far deviated from ancient/imperial and pre-imperial Japan that they might as well be different nations.

Night elves use a lot of Korean motifs, so it’s hard to distinguish the two sometimes, such as the torii gates being used commonly in Korean and Taiwanese architecture as well. These are well put up on their Wowpedia page, so I won’t go into them. There is also the fact that ancient Japan went through several transitions based on external influences like Buddhism and Chinese and Korean influence, so there are several motifs to pick from, and the night elves mostly draw from Shintoism.

The major references besides the torii gates come from Shintoism, which obviously is almost obsolete as a religion today, as most modern Japanese are atheists. The sacred trees with ropes tied around them (shimenawa) are other obvious references. Their religion is basically a moon vs sun inverse of Japanese Shinto, with the moon goddess replacing a sun goddess (Amaterasu) and a polytheistic/henotheistic nature-spirit culture built around her. While druidism takes from other cultures, the wild gods are similar to kami in this regard, who are less revered than Amaterasu but are still important as nature spirits. There are more obvious Shinto references such as the beliefs of “Alara’shinu” which in Shinto is the practice of Wabi-Sabi (beauty in imperfection)

Societally, they are again an inverse of traditional Japan, with strong gender segregation in their roles. Ofcourse, in the night elf case, this is viewed more positively being a feminist matriarchial society. Isolation has also been a big theme for night elves, something imperial Japan was well known for. Like the night elves, Japanese society was not always strongly gender-segregated but became so during and after imperial rule.

Being interested in Japanese martial arts, I saw a lot of weaponry used by night elves and fighting styles to be the same. The sentinels are always found using modified shuriken (moonglaives) and polearms that are basically naginata. Tyrande herself uses obvious double-bladed kama (with a tekko as the handle) as her current weapon. If you learnt aikido, you will know that night elves use aikido stances in several of their attack animations, particularly with staves, which are used as weapons in aikido. The wardens use a chakram, but there is a similar weapon in Japan whose name is currently eluding me. In Warcraft 3, demon hunters were the night elf samurai, essentially committing seppuku as their death animation.

There are other motifs shared with mainly Koreans such as rice as a staple food etc. and I found the burning of Teldrassil to be visually identical to the bombing of Hiroshima.
But because night elves derive from other cultures too such as Korean, Norse, maybe Greek and Neopaganism, and because they do not use Japanese words as descriptors, most people miss out on the references, but I think that is the point of the whole argument and the denial about it that WoW races draw from real life cultures, which I think is certainly true, though someone else can argue for this better than me. There is also the fact that the current writers are homogenising the races as stereotypes, which means the night elves are being pushed more towards the direction of Tolkien elves or worse.

11 Likes

We don’t see it, but actually instead of going to sleep for centuries male nelf druids actually spend all that time working to the bone in corporate offices as salarymen for a big business they are expected to be fiercely loyal to, then staying at work for a few more afterhours drinking with friends.

1 Like