New community council has Story/Lore section

I doubt that having any kind of formal education on the subject matters at all. If it does than I think that the council idea already has problems because that in itself is going to narrow the kind of feedback that can be acquired from it.

1 Like

You need both though.

Average Joes express discontent with the story in their terms.

Academic interpret and tease out consistent themes of critique from various players in why they’re unhappy.

e.g.

• The guy who is unhappy with humans because it feels too “disney”
  • The girl who is mad about sylvanas being villain batted and because Calia doesn’t “fit”
  • The guy who feels trolls were underutilized in SL and Bwonsamdi being disrespected by the Winter Queen “feels” bad

They’re all actually criticizing the same thing:

• Many contemporary racial developments are relying on forcing the Races/Leaders to fit into the narrative rather than respecting their original core fantasy which is why a given player cares about those races.
  • The original core fantasy within WoW of each race has been severely under-utilized within the narrative construction, both in allegorical senses (e.g. the lack of Arthurian themes for Humans) and in material NPC senses (during the BOL, why were Void Elves so prominent in the Alliance military rather than Night Elf Highborne and Dalaran High Elf Mages? why were no Blood Elf Magisters to be seen? Why were the Forsaken refugees taken to Orgrimmar rather than Ghostlands?)
  • There is a lack of narrative equity at the intersection of the plurality of races vs faction depictions.

You can’t do ethnographic analysis without a base population to analyze lol

12 Likes

It’s like when the “Class Representatives” were added in Orgrimmar/Stormwind in that little house/base

Originally, the Horde Paladins were Silver Hand themed and the Horde Priest was a random Light-worshipping Undead.

The players (rightly) came forward and said “this is bad, it sucks, why are you doing this”. Hundreds and hundreds of posts expressing that base sentiment without explaining why on GD and the PTR.

Very few posts (including my own) typed out long, elaborate posts explaining why it feels bad.

But you need the En Masse Average Joe Outcry and the Fancy Academic Analysis Sociology Ipsum Lorem Essays TOGETHER to push an argument.

11 Likes

There are races with core fantasies that contradict each other. “Drill Baby Drill” Goblin core fantasies are always going to contradict “Nature protecting Amazonian” Night Elf core fantasies. “Chivalric Romance” Human fantasies are always going to contradict “Metalhead Edgelord” Undead fantasies.

Because of these contradictions, appealing to one fantasy is always going to be seen as being at the expense of another.

3 Likes

That’s only true if you force them to interact instead of telling self contained stories and having the juxtaposition in the world simply serve as flavor and diversity.

I don’t care about how the Night Elves feel about the Goblins.

I want to know how the Night Elves are dealing with Highborne reintegration.

I want to know what the current Cartel Mafia chain of command and succession drama looks like among the Trade Coalition.

I want to know how Talanji is planning on unifying the Trolls once more under her leadership and support.

I want to know how Dwarves are planning on confronting the looming succession problems once Moira’s son is of age and the older generation dies.

Christ.

12 Likes

I hate this idea. Racial segregation sucks and everyone is at their most interesting when they’re interacting with one another.

A world in which every group exists inside their own plastic bubble sounds not just insanely boring but also incredibly unrealistic. Especially when you consider the fact that most races have some kind of shared history with one another.

This reeks of implicit “racial purity” rhetoric where everyone needs to be “protected” from the corrupting influence of other cultures, which I doubt was your intent.

Even the best reading of it makes the world sound like a theme park. Look, there’s Elf Land! There’s Dwarf Land! Do we have time to go to Wacky Goblin Land? Will Zombie Land be too intense for me?

3 Likes

The Original Medieval Land was refurbished into Zombie Land. They moved Medieval Land behind the parking lot and it consists entirely of a half-inflated bouncy castle and pictures of how awesome the original Medieval Land was

We’ve literally done Night Elf vs Goblin melodrama for ten years.

What new plot could they possibly add they haven’t already done?

It is time to develop inward, develop each race internally beyond the rotting and eroded foundation they haven’t touched in centuries.

Thrall’s kids should actually be almost adults by in-game Orc aging standards for the love of God lol

Moira’s son should be in Dwarf Royal Academy or whatever.

12 Likes

I actually agree, I’d like to see racial stories developed more, but it needs to be done in the context of a world in which there are lots of races, because that’s the reality of the world in question. Night Elf calculus is always going to be influenced by the presence of the Orcs and Humans. Human and Undead developments are always going to be influenced by each others presence. Troll development is always going to be influenced by their relationship with the younger races.

Isolating each racial narrative is not only incredibly boring but it’s not even plausible because no race is actually isolated.

3 Likes

No it doesn’t.

Orcs don’t go past Southfury River. Night Elves don’t move into Tauren lands.

Night Elves should just interact with Worgen more, build on that relationship, and deal with the internal Highborne stuff.

At most the newly reintegrated Highborne should be “reconnecting” with Dalaran’s Kirin Tor and the High Elves therein.

It doesn’t have to in a fixed borders situation, but even then, this is what I came up with (I did all the Human Kingdoms first in my AU rewrite retcon stuff)

It literally doesn’t. The only races proximal to Troll territory in a reunification scenario are Goblins (Booty Bay re Gurubashi, Gadetzan re Farraki) and Blood Elves (re Amani).

Troll reunification project would just be the Zandalari NonTrolls (Vulpera, Sethrak, Tortollans), Goblins, and Blood Elves.

Isolating the factions from each other is absolutely necessary because the narrative has been stretched thin as is.

There’s nothing to build on. It’s sand. Dust.

6 Likes

I agree with you on this one.

I think a council would benefit from all different kinds of opinions. Even though I disagree with the story you want portrayed, you are as valid here as anyone else.

4 Likes

I personally love when people like Baal are around, because even when I’m upset/angry over a particular storyline/plot/or theme at least people like him are smart enough to know what I’m getting at, even if I don’t always know how to properly explain it.

Having people like him on a story council is only going to help in the long run. Long with the other way smarter people than me who post here :wolf:

3 Likes

Spoken like a true councilmen :+1:

I’ve been posting since wrath. Just because I’m not obsessively posting every couple hours about a dead human kingdom does not invalidate my opinion lmao. It means I care about my sanity. Get off your high horse and touch grass

Good point. I think writing actual stories portrayed writing skills better than being a critic of one, but I suppose the possibility is still there. Although, if those people are in charge now… then maybe it’s not a good idea to hire from that pool again?

Discussing story flaws ≠ writing a good story

11 Likes

I don’t consider myself a Good Writer.

I’ve been told otherwise. Had a professor in undergrad who was a small time author, biographer, and journalist who insisted I was a good writer, and I admit I’ve never pushed my short stories in a visible platform, but dunno don’t think I’m a good writer.

But I never criticize without analyzing what possible solutions there are and the meta effects of those solutions (aka theorizing on both popular effects of the story paths or their narrative consequence down the road).

I also do the same with praise. I explain why I personally liked Roux’s characterization of the Horde over Golden’s, and theorize which parts of my preference can be extrapolated more generally (eg probably the way Roux allows the Trolls to be a profound and complex culture, or the political melodrama inherent to the Horde’s infrastructure, similar to why the Voljin novel by Stackpole is so well loved by Horde mains).

But ultimately this Council Forum is prolly NOT going to ask for short story submissions like they did ten years ago.

Which sucks kinda. Maybe.

So all we can do is provide feedback and explain why and try to interpret the Popular Sentiment like an unpaid oracle.

But as far as Class Fantasy goes, that’s easier. All you need is creativity and familiarity with the in-game lore of each class and their IRL basis for possible additional inspiration.

Eg my “warlock stables” thread on GD

2 Likes

I submitted. Hopefully Blizzard sees the problem alliance bias brings and ruins the story with.

1 Like

It doesn’t invalidate your opinion, it just makes you look bad when you Kramer into the forum to complain about the idea of Blizzard listening to people you disagree with when you yourself contribute less than the people you’re attacking.

Erevien has contributed more and he’s a forum cryptid from Germany who keeps getting banned.

3 Likes

Even then that is subject to change. I mean look at TBC. All the marketing etc was around Illidan but it ended up being Kil’jaeden who was the final boss and the main overall villain. It also made more sense for the Legion to be the villains of an expansion called, “The Burning Crusade” then Illidan. Blizzard would later repeat this for WoD, Legion and maybe even BFA. Due to their whole “1 year expansion” experiment failing on the first try.

9 Likes

I think that what would be most useful to Blizzard from this is less the community pitching specific story ideas and more that it’s an opportunity for Blizzard to better gauge the emotional reaction of their audience to various plot events.

I think that one problem with the writing is that the writers don’t have a way to properly track the sentiment of their audience in ways that aren’t obsessive weirdoes like us yelling at them on the forums and on twitter. As such it can be easy for them to simply miss or be unaware of where their audiences mood is at any given moment, which is critical because being an effective writer is ultimately about manipulating, or at the very least emotionally influencing, the audience.

I also think that it might be a good opportunity to make the gameplay devs and the bean-counters at Blizzard aware of the fact that a good story can be just as effective for the game as strong gameplay systems. If the story is good, people will pay attention and want to play your game.

I think that the current pipeline where the gameplay devs say “we want 3 raid tiers and 5 new zones, write a story around that” is too one sided. The pipeline should work both ways, and writers should have the opportunities to say to the rest of the devs “there’s a story we’d really like to tell, can you design some raids and systems around it?”

2 Likes

You came in here with your first post accusing a poster of being as bad as another, then you try to invalidate his opinions while telling him to stop invalidating yours. Throwing these kinds of accusations at people is not conductive to what the thread is about. Stop being toxic.

6 Likes

Who judges how much people contribute to the forums? You? Lmao

Again, get off your high horse.

I’m not trying to be a councilmen, he is. He disagrees with the fundamental idea of being a councilmen… then applied to be a councilmen. That’s like hating the law then becoming a cop. Do you expect anything good to come of that? And i’m the toxic one for taking issue with that?

This is a man that hates human characters becoming forsaken, but wants to bring a dead human kingdom back to life. Yea, he’s just like Erevien and i’d be scared if he even partially influenced where the story went.

7 Likes