New cinematic trailer just dropped

Just wait for Space Marine 2. Metzen lost his testosterone. He managed to kill factions.

This is World of Kisscam.

2 Likes

Because it’s not naturally part of the story, setting, ect; instead it is shallow, surface depiction being interjected according to a computer program.

One of the points of diversity in media is normalization but that doesn’t happen when something sticks out like a sore thumb like that character does.

But the worst example of this fake diversity to me in WoW is not actually that new character, it’s the innkeeper in the dwarven section of Stormwind.

Instead of creating a new character with a new name, dark skin and one of the new hairstyles, they basically painted her black and called it a day.

The lack of respect makes me cringe every time I see her.

2 Likes

Yikes, if that’s not racist, I don’t know what is.

For me it depends entirely on the narrative. Does the story adequately and appropriately create a story that engages its audience? Does said story tie in such individual characteristics appropriately into the environment the characters exist in? Do the interactions past or present properly explain or give reason to why the characters look or act the way they do?

If the answer to all those questions is, yes. Then it really doesn’t matter what they look like or how they behave because the content can stand on its own. But if they don’t? Then it starts wandering into vaguer territory. The danger point being what is oft referred to as “woke” or the opposite (white-washing) territory. A classic example of this happened only recently with the Netfix Egyptian show Queen Cleopatra. They cast a mixed race person? to play Cleopatra. A completely stupid thing to do considering you’re dealing with actual historical events (Cleopatra was Macedonian Greek) rather than a made up story.

Now don’t get me wrong. It is actually possible to pull off counter culture casting in narratives. However it is significantly harder to do than if you’re actually true and accurate and appropriate to the original content and its intentions. A good example of this was once again using Cleopatra with the casting of Elizabeth Taylor. But that was because the narrative was not trying to be lore accurate at all. Instead it tried to loosely base itself on the facts and then went in a more fanciful romanticized “high-stye” (musical) version.

1 Like

Destroys everything it touches.

2 Likes

For me, the issue with woke is that it doesn’t properly explain itself. Its no different to how Rey from the new Star Wars movies can somehow magically master the Force to such a degree (without any training), that she can pull off things only a Jedi master is capable of with little to no explanation as to how that is remotely possible. The clumsy insert of retconning Palpatine to be alive and that somehow magically explains away this issue is sloppy and clumsy writing in the extreme. It is why her character rightly earned the title of “Mary Sue”.

3 Likes

When it is done in a shallow, contrived, slapdash fashion, yes.

When it is done properly, with care, substance and respect, it adds depth and richness to a story.

1 Like

the writers had to backpedal realizing how silly it was to make her so OP for apparently no reason in the first film

1 Like

You realize nobody here actually said that, right? You’re just fighting with your own shadow here.

2 Likes

I need the Nerubians to be playable.

Unfortunately, they are going to go the way of Arakkoa, Sethrak, Saberon, and any other cool race. Forgotten and never touched on again.

You don’t think using a diversity randomizer for character creation is low effort and contrived? I don’t know if that’s what they did. However, if you have a bunch of other characters that people took the time and effort to sketch out and iterate, and one character that was just “hit blend” so she can reach a diversity metric and they decided she was “good enough”, that is a difference in quality, no?

It’s not a positive no matter how you slice it. A TV dinner won’t beat a restaurant or even a homecooked meal.

1 Like

Cleopatra was Macedonian Greek, her family tree is well known.

1 Like

TIL. Well then IDK what the Egyptian authorities where up in arms about.

Because she was an Egyptian queen being portrayed incorrectly for woke virtue signal points lol.

Edit: Not even just the portrayal either, just straight up lying and claiming she was black which is 100% not true lol.

3 Likes

Oh I see. So they basically used a black person to play a Greek? Was that the issue?

Well that and they openly said she was black, which is false lol.

3 Likes

Really sad actually.
Younger generations are going to get a false sense of history from all these woke casting decisions.

1 Like

They were up in arms about portraying her as black. The article itself talked about the actress being bi-racial, but the problem the Egyptians had was that the actress looked black to them, and Cleopatra is generally viewed by historians as most likely having been similar in appearance to the Greeks.

I’d say the article writer was being deceptive with their headline by trying to spin the issue around the actress’s parentage making her bi-racial (I think because the article writer wanted to make the Egyptians look worse - like “these guys aren’t just angry that she doesn’t look accurate, but are actually angry about the actress having mixed parentage,” which clearly wasn’t their focus).

I do think this is true.

One additional aspect that creates more difficulty today is that in today’s era of movies, the movie medium is treated as seeking to establish accuracy. Everybody views modern movies set in historical eras as wanting to establish some kind of “canonical” official version of events.

Part of the problem is they’re usually not wrong about the ambition of today’s movie makers. Producers, writers, even actors often speak in terms that show that that is is exactly what they want to do in their movies (or TV shows). That Cleopatra thing was an example of that.

So when an inaccuracy creeps in, especially if it ties into a widely known cultural goal of one political side, it doesn’t look innocent, but rather like an underhanded effort to set in place a false view of history. If the inaccuracy starts getting serious negative attention, only then do the movie makers start to fall back on, “Guys, it’s just a movie / TV show, it’s not meant to be totally accurate.” (Which is what the Cleopatra makers started doing, but it rarely comes across as sincere).

3 Likes

I dropped a new wow cinematic trailer in the toilet this morning, It was better than this.

1 Like