New chat window always showing as a voice chat window

So I’m trying to make my standard new windows for my chat on a new character. Typically a specific window for Trade chat and Services chat. However when I go to make a new chat window or just “Move to New Window” it automatically turns it into a voice chat window/tts window which I don’t want or need. I don’t have any of that enabled, or checked in the Accessibility tab. I just want it to be a normal chat window.

I have the base UI with no chat addons at all.

Any ways to fix this that I’m missing?

(the new tabs are always the blue font versus the yellow font also)

Also the only way to delete this chat window is to open settings > Accessibility > Text To Speech, then check and uncheck the ‘Speak for me in Voice Chat’ box.

4 Likes

It doesn’t appear so, though those options are right at the top for easy disabling, as far as I can tell.

You may wish to edit your post and move it to the UI and Macro forum for more curated assistance, someone may have an answer there.

Try /tts

Failing that, exit the game and delete that character’s chat-cache.txt

\World of Warcraft\_retail_\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT_NAME\SERVER_NAME\CHAR_NAME

Neither of those fixed it.

However after moving Trade Chat to a new window, which created a “voice chat”. I kept that window open, then moved trade chat again to a new window which created a normal chat. However if I were to delete the voice chat window through the check/uncheck box, the next window I make is a voice chat.

Might just be a bug?

I’m seeing the same behavior on my end, definitely seems like a bug.

Creating a new window always yields one with TTS options rather than a normal text window, until there’s an instance of that TTS window open somewhere. After that you can add text windows as normal.

1 Like

Running into the exact same thing, and it’s maddening. The first chat tab I create is voice, and I cannot delete it.

I just noticed the same problem yesterday. I don’t have anything marked in the Accessibility → Text to Speech settings, and reset them to defaults just to make sure (they stayed unchecked).

I can only delete the new window by going into Chat settings and clicking Chat Defaults, which removes all customizations I’ve made to my chat. Very frustrating issue because I have been able to customize what appears in chat windows in the past without this issue.

I am having the same issue, Whenever i go to create a new tab, It seems to create a voice channel even though i do not have TTS active, Seems like the patch broke something as this was not happening before

hope there is a fix as this is quite annoying.

oh my gosh I’ve been wasting hours looking at this today, assuming it was some weird interaction between wow and elvui but no – its just a straight up wow bug lol

1 Like

Thank god for you all validating that i am not insane

1 Like

same thing. i thought it was something i was doing…was fine until last patch i think. you have to make the voice window, leave it up and then make your chat windows you want to make.

Are you actually using voice chat? cause if you not just delete the file after bnet login and before you enter the game. You’ll get a warning saying can not connect to voice chat but that’s it.