New changes to Brewmaster and Windwalker in TWW Alpha

• MONK
    • Brewmaster

• New Talent: Elixir of Determination – When you fall below 40% health, gain an absorb for 100% of recently Purified damage, or a minimum of 20% of your maximum health. Cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds.

• New Talent: Strike At Dawn – Rising Sun Kick grants a stack of Elusive Brawler.

• New Talent: One With the Wind – You have a 10% chance to not reset your Elusive Brawler stacks on a successful dodge.

• New Talent: August Blessing – When you would be healed above maximum health, you instead convert an amount equal to 40% of your critical strike chance to a heal over time effect.

• New Talent: Ox Stance – Casting Purifying Brew grants charges/stacks of Ox Stance, based on Stagger level. When you take damage that is greater than 60% of your current health, a charge is consumed to increase the amount you Stagger.

• New Talent: Black Ox Adept – Rising Sun Kick grants a stack of Ox Stance.

• New Talent: Heightened Guard – Ox Stance will now trigger when an attack is larger than 50% of your current health.

• Chi Surge and Call to Arms are no longer a choice talent.

• Anvil & Stave has been updated – Each time you dodge or an enemy misses, you reduce the remaining cooldown on your Brews by 0.5/1 second. Effect reduced for each recent melee attacker. Was 3 second internal cooldown.

• Improved Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox has been updated – While Niuzao is active, Purifying Brew increases the damage of Niuzao’s next Stomp, based on Stagger level. Damage is split between all enemies. Was Stagger Purified

• The following talents have been removed:

• Healing Elixir

• Clash (moved to class tree)

• Graceful Exit

• Bonedust Brew

• Bountiful Brew

• Attenuation

• Windwalker

• New Talent: Memory of the Monastery – Tiger Palm’s chance to activate Blackout Kick! Is increased by 15% and consuming Teachings of the Monastery grants you 1% haste for 5 seconds equal to the amount of stacks consumed.

• Revolving Whirl now additionally reduces the cooldown of Whirling Dragon Punch by 5 seconds.

• Fury of Xuen now increases Critical Strike chance (was haste) and Invokes Xuen, the White Tiger for 10 seconds (was 8 seconds).

• Fixed an issue that caused Jade Ignition’s damage to be reduced during Storm, Earth, and Fire.

• Skytouch has been removed.

Updated Talent Tree on Wowhead’s TWW Talent Calculator

1 Like

Nice start. I still think they could go farther.

-Press the advantage was added to fix bloat and changes could be implemented which would warrant its removal. Tiger Palm isn’t a bad button for Brewmaster, just doesn’t have much interaction with the spec which can and should be changed.
-Zen meditation is boring and never picked.
-Celestial Brew and Breath of Fire should be centralized because you can never not pick them.
-Weapons of Order can go or be updated.

1 Like

Digging the BRM changes. Was never a big fan of BDB, makes sense now that they didn’t update its visuals.

New Ox Stance mechanic sounds interesting and the Healing Elixir revamp is awesome.

1 Like

I think I pressed that button maybe 3 times ever this expansion. I just forget it exists, it’s so lame. At least they added new talents that you can take now to go down the tree without having to take this talent, which I won’t ever take now.

I like WoO and now you can take both talents that buff it instead of having to choose 1 making it even stronger.

The last time I remember using Zen Meditation was the last phase for the Avatar of Sargeras fight in Legion. Basically you could cheat one platform destruction by Zen Meditating over the green lava and making the avatar not destroy one portion of the platform.

Otherwise the only time I use it now is for Battlegrounds as brewmaster.

Thank god Bonedust Brew is finally gone. Hated in Shadowlands and hate it this expansion, but you need to use it since it’s factored into our tuning. The problem with Bonedust Brew is that it was yet another “this doesn’t do anything but you need to use a GCD to use it anyway”. (See also: Breath of Fire, which doesn’t do anything unless you Keg Smashed.) Always hated that you couldn’t pull with Bonedust Brew, since it did zero damage and therefore generated no threat. And if you pulled at range with it, half its duration was gone by the time the monsters got to you - assuming they didn’t scatter in all directions on the way since you had zero threat. :roll_eyes:

However, adding 3 new spendable talent points without giving us 3 more points to spend doesn’t fix things. This is a design problem with the new tree structure in general, and falls along the similar problem of how every tree has 30 points to spend, but the trees all have wildly different numbers of spendable points.

Somebody at Blizzard just hasn’t thought this new system through, all the way.

Anyway, here’s one easy fix: combine the 3 talents in the lower left corner.

New talent:
Ox Stance – Casting Purifying Brew or Rising Sun Kick grants charges/stacks of Ox Stance, based on Stagger level. When you take damage that is greater than 50% of your current health, a charge is consumed to increase the amount you Stagger.

Decent.

Current version where that takes 3 talent points? Crap.

(P.S. I used Zen Med on several of the harder Mythic raid bosses like Denathrius, Sylvanas, Jailer, Fyrrak, Neltharion, Sarkareth, and Smolderon. Mostly so the healers didn’t need to use a cd on me, so they could use them at their discretion on themselves or DPS. But it’s definitely the cd of last resort.)

3 Likes

WOOOOOOOOOO

Expiration Date Scene - Demoman Only (youtube.com)

1 Like

Now that I think about it…may as well remove Tiger Palm for Brewmaster

Press The Advantage turns it into a passive.

Looks like they need to condense some talents. Way more stuff than you can pick up. To the point it doesn’t feel like a choice but a punishment.

RJW still isn’t passive.

Tooltip on OX stance is not clear on what exactly it is doing or by how much. It also highlights the issue of things rewarding you for sitting on high stagger. A cheat death/low health passive heal that gets stronger at higher stagger makes sense because you wouldn’t be trying to do that on purpose.

I don’t understand how people don’t get how strong that ability is and the only real issue is that there is no way to pick up the improved version.

A lot like Ox statue really. Very niche but if that niche comes up its amazing.

Oh and in TWW YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE ZEN MED

2 Likes

Brew finally got a rework, or atleast a rework in progess.
While BdB is finally gone, WoO could use a redesign, yeah the damage buff and duration is the best of all tank offensive CDs, but the ramp is horrendous and can cause issues during pull in raid.
Lower part of the spec is still a bloat and mid-lower part is still filled with mandatory talents that should be merged or baked in.

1. Ox Stance doesn’t make sense
    In order to get tanky for next hit (higher stagger value), u must take a hit above 60% of ur current hp first? It is uncontrollable and dangerous.

2. Niuzao is still useless talent and costing 4 points to make it fully work(dealing limited amount of damage).

Since we already have dodge related talents in the right tree, we could make the left tree focus on dealing with magical damage.
Something like:
Ox Stance: Every 50% of ur max hp stagger damage taken will grant you a stack of Ox Stance, your next celetial brew will consume all Ox Stance stacks and create an additonal magical shield absorbing [placeholder value] magical damage per stack.

Niuzao’s Tenacity: increase the magical damage stagger rate to 100% as physical stagger rate when summoned

3 Likes

This makes me so happy. I hated that button bloat ability lol

I’ve always hated it. Even in shadowlands

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically why Special Delivery is the alternate choice?

1 Like

100% this. They need to turn some of those 2 point talents into 1 points, OR just give them to us baseline. High tolerance and Elusive footwork could easily be moved into baseline abilities.

Zen med still needs to work more like Spell Reflect or spell block with a higher CD. Just have it reflect the next spell. Either that or the upgraded version needs to be baseline.

They still need to condense the rotation abilities. Maybe combine rushing jade wind and Breath of Fire into one talent node, and have them do basically the same thing just flavor choice? Idk, seems really weird to have both. I know Breath of Fire has been around forever, I just have never liked it. Special delivery can just… go away.

2 Likes

These Brewmaster changes are better than nothing, and I am glad that Bonedust Brew is finally gone. I feel Brewmaster will still struggle in M+ though.

They really need to add some variation of Keg of the Heavens (SL S3 tier set) back to Brewmaster to make it competitive in M+.

This was of moderate power level in raid and solved most of Brew’s fundamental issues in M+.

3 Likes

Some interesting first changes, good to see never picked talents replaced with more interesting ones, also glad to see bonedust brew go.

The next steps for me would be to reduce some of the bloat in the tree’s center area as well as continue to reduce button bloat for BrM.

Next changes I would make would be to remove Improved Purifying brew and Improved Celestial brew, making the effects part of the base ability because we’re never not taking them.

Next, the 3rd to last row, High Tolerance, Elusive footwork, anvil & stave and walk of the ox made one point talents to free up a 1 or 2 points as you move to the final rows.

Rework RJW like for WW ex: “Every third SCK kicks up jade winds that surround you and damage enemies over 9 seconds”

Make WoO part of Invoke Niuzao, ex: activating Niuzao fills you with the order of the ox, resting KS and RSK, granting 10% master and enemies hit by RSK or KS take 8% increased damage from you for 10 seconds, stacking 4 times."

3 Likes

Ox Stance doesnt read like that to me, it makes me think there is some kind of internal damage counter that resets maybe when leaving combat? I take it as “Every x damage taken= Ox Stance stagger buff”. So we will see how it is, but Im thinking its something like that.

Pretty sure it’s 60% before armor/stagger/vers mods go into effect, which won’t be that uncommon.

Also, it’s easily tunable, they can just increase or decrease that value if they think it’s too strong or weak.

I’d really like a talent that increases the duration of Celestial Brew.

Even if it’s just one of those “whenever this happens, your next…” ones.