NEVER Remove Templar Strikes

So we just got the new Paladin changes. There’s a LOT I could say here but I came to the forums to simply say this.

Blizz. Please. NEVER remove Templar Strikes from the game. Whether it be a talent or something that’s simply baked in in the future. Please NEVER remove this from the game. It’s so fun to use!

22 Likes

I hate it.

To each their own.

So long as they don’t make it necessary to dps within say 1% of our potential, then I’m happy you can have it.

But if they can’t keep it balanced with the alternatives, I’ll be here demanding it’s removal/balance.

7 Likes

Why do you hate it?

3 Likes

It feels pretty good to not be hp starved ever now we have a spam filler but if it got removed for whatever reason I wouldn’t miss it too much. It’s nice to actually have something to press that isn’t just button bloat

7 Likes

How is it any less “button bloat” than Crusader Strike, though? It’s just a more invasive equivalent to a Crusader Strike damage buff, making your fallback generator a bit harder to weave in.

2 Likes

No I meant the entire rotation feels nice to be able to spam essentially what is C strike instead of filling with concercrate and exo that existed just to fill dead times. Now we don’t have dead times and don’t need bad fillers

3 Likes

If you talent into Vanguard of Justice, it plays a little cooler. Just some food for thought.

2 Likes

I agree with this. This is part of the reason why I like it.

2 Likes

I hate it because in the end, it’s still just crusader’s strike. Buffing it to the moon to make it important to press it twice isn’t interesting, it’s just brute force trying to make you like it because BIG NUMBERS. It’s not actually interesting to play. Also, I don’t like being spammy just to “have something to do”. Those are the two selling points. I keep hearing, “yeah, but it’s good dps” and “I hate downtime”. So…we aren’t seeing through the fact this is the same boring filler it always was, but buffed with just MORE NUMBERS to make you want to press it?

4 Likes

Crusader strike is just filler, too, and always has been. They simply tacked on MORE NUMBERS to sell it to you.

Yeah every class has fillers ret now at least has a filler that’s useful it’s not the greatest thing ever and it’s not extraordinarily fun or engaging but it’s better than regular C strike

5 Likes

It’s not better, it’s just bigger numbers.

It’s no different than sinister strike, mutilate, shred, etc, etc, EXCEPT they made it hit harder.

It puts the lie to everyone claiming they want “depth”. They clearly just wanted bigger numbers and to spam buttons as fast as they can. That’s all templar strike is doing and it’s clearly a hit with most people.

1 Like

So you’d prefer crusader strike to have a longer wait between uses and do less damage to be better?

Templars is literally an upgraded C strike it’s not a revolution to the game it’s barely a re work it’s a qol improvement that made it better than it was

5 Likes

I absolutely love templar strikes. One of my favorite things from this rework. I play two builds one centered on crusading strikes and one on templar strikes (only a couple talents swap between them) in pvp.

It feels so good to press. I love it. If anything I’d want it to hit harder (post pvp nerfs we should be getting). It looks cool, the combo idea is awesome and I love how it always gives ret something -good- to press.

6 Likes

I’d even go as far and say: expand on it. The combo nature of the attack could be something unique to ret. Let us chain the combo even further. There were datamined effects for Templar Strikes that let you chain it to three attacks where the third attack would be something like “press Judgment for AoE damage”. Unfortunately did not make it into the game.

3 Likes

Fully agree. Could absolutely be expanded if anything, though it is very fun as is.

5 Likes

???

They have the same cooldown. TS just takes up twice as many globals per minute to keep from overcapping charges.

And his precise point was that bigger numbers don’t change how something feels, especially when the number value isn’t even enough to change its priority. If it’s still the lowest priority core move you can make, it’s still solely your core filler.

2 Likes

Food for thought, though:

Interdependency or having less granular of actions one can take, as would be forced by things like your suggestion above, isn’t necessarily going to increase depth, or even direction/intuitiveness or a typical player’s satisfaction.

When you have combos that backload the damage per GCD so that you need to spend more GCDs than you have time for just to get their full average potency per GCD, then you’re either…

1. further forced to ignore the spec’s usual gameplay scheme and leave cooled, normally higher-value skills at full charge as you recover the damage otherwise wasted on the initial parts of the combo, or
  2. it becomes even harder to find room for those greater number of consecutive filler GCDs, which means you then more often leave it at full charge(s).

Sometimes those added constraints can be good, but there’s a fine line between adding something and overwhelming/degrading what you already had. Tuning-wise, there’s also a fine line between the affected tool becoming more constrained by backloading its damage into a combo… and it then constraining everything else.

• If a 3-GCD TS Combo were overpowered, for instance, the whole rhythm of the spec’s base (i.e., before accounting for stacking damage amps) would no longer be about getting the greatest effective HP generation per minute possible (where overcapping obviously doesn’t count), but would instead be anchored around that TS Combo, all else be damned/fettered behind it.
1 Like

Yea, sounds complicated to realize but perhaps could be the beginning of the end of holy power. Not that I am a supporter of this, but if they gave me a proper replacement (which combos could be) I wouldn’t mind holy power going away. As I said, could be something unique for ret or, if expanded, for the whole class.

But great input you gave, you have a way more in-depth view of the game than I have.

1 Like

umm, with all due respect, by its very definition, bigger numbers is better.

Dude, having big numbers is your friend; it’s a good thing.

I am honestly not seeing the downside to this.

2 Likes