NetEase (blizzard services for China) destroys their Orc Statue and live streamed it

For their part, NetEase has completely dismantled their Blizzard offices, going so far as to dismantle their local Orc statue in an event which was live streamed for around 30,000 people at the time and has been shared across Chinese social media since

Those who participated in the deconstruction efforts were rewarded with a brand new drink from NetEase’s coffee shop - Blizzard Green Tea. While this may seem odd, “Green Tea” is a modern Chinese slur referring to a manipulative person who tries to appear wholesome, innocent, or traditional, but is decidedly not so (that’s the nice way of putting it). Clearly, NetEase has very strong feelings toward their recent negotiations with Blizzard Entertainment.

Wow.

When they burned bridges, that bridge was ON FIRE

Who really is in the wrong now? Blizzard being greedy or NetEase? What really happened behind the scenes??

22 Likes

Hard to tell what went on behind the scenes unless those that were start putting out insight to the situation.

I get they were upset but to literally break something down and pull that drink at nearly the same time reminds me of a 6 year old who breaks all their toys just so they can get attention and get a new one that’s shiney.

38 Likes

Well, one of them is involved with the chinese government

You can pretty much guess whos in the wrong instantly

92 Likes

omgggg how offensive!!
:dracthyr_nervous_animated:

2 Likes

Oh man. i wonder when netease is going to post on blizzards facebook “haha you’re stupid and ugly”

22 Likes

I’d say both were wrong if NetEase was that bitter and hatred towards Blizzard

14 years of partnership and this happened?

3 Likes

:popcorn:

That is seriously harsh. I wonder how that will impact the Diablo Immortal contract they still have with NetEase.

Also very curious what went down to cause all this. I suspect we will never really know.

Also, TIL about green tea.

12 Likes

Imagine NetEase trying to take the moral high ground involving anything

55 Likes

Yea, the company that got special permissions for their servers and new models made just to appease them

Wonder what other demands they started to make that blizzard wouldn’t do

19 Likes

destroying art to pass a message?

okay then. who else has done things like that? :wink:

17 Likes

I mean the place is going to be used for something else somehow, the statue is obviously not going to stay there.

If anything, this is a good move, now Blizzard will have to try harder because their player pool is dwindling by the day.

6 Likes

I think, no matter how scummy Blizzard could’ve been in this, I’d still side with them over NetEase.

28 Likes

Nobody ever destroyed a statue okay?

1 Like

This is actually a CCP mandate, the Chinese government makes companies do this, not NetEase themselves. That said, the CCP has their tendrils in every big corporation in mainland China, so go figure.

14 Likes

well from what i have read is that
blizzard is going to do another short term contract with them and finding other publishers also in the region and netease hated that

1 Like

Remember not long ago with those activists and museums?

If they hadn’t been covered in protective casings those protesters could have ruined priceless peices of art

4 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t publish games in china without government’s approval. And by it I mean party approval. Their requirements can be pretty arbitrary and really wild.

I don’t know about the moral standing of netease but the fact is you can only publish a game in china through a company that’s involved with the chinese government.

10 Likes

lol green tea in China cost like $5RMB or less which is less than $1USD. Pretty sure they got a bulk discount. So not so much money is wasted on green tea.

1 Like

The fine print is you sell detailed customer information, or they don’t sell your game for you.

1 Like

Oh yea when I say “they” I pretty much just mean the CCP

2 Likes