Nerubians and The War Within

It has interesting lore implications too. The wiki suggests that nerubians are very cold and violent, but if you look at the sources, the operative factor is that these are opinions expressed by the Scourge.

Throughout all of our interactions with Azjol-Nerub in WotLK and beyond, living nerubians seem to be pretty chill with living people. I think Magni also visited them in a book.

Xal’atath is the Gul’dan (and Mannoroth) to Queen Ansurek’s Grom.

4 Likes

Pretty much the Gul’dan to Ansurek’s Grom, yeah.

Or the Gul’dan to Ner’zhul and Blackhand.

Or the Gul’dan to Magistrix Elisande.

Or the Gul’dan’s skull to Illidan.

Or the Gul’dan to Gul’dan.

5 Likes

Damn Gul’dan, he ruined Gul’dan

8 Likes

Those Ghoulish Daniels sure are a contentious people.

1 Like

Gul’dan would say you just made an enemy for life!

1 Like

Wait a second, I thought nerubians were mostly undead? When did that change?

Nerubians were only Undead because Ner’zhul killed and reanimated them.

The Nerubians in Khaz Algar weren’t near Northrend when he killed the Nerubians in Northrend so they are living not Undead.

We are getting a nice and friendly Nerubian Society that has been subverted by it’s current Queen and thus needs to be liberated.

6 Likes

So it’s not the same undercity we seen in the Wrath dungeons then?

Nope. An entirely different kingdom.

I thought there was only one. Anyway, does not matter, I’ll figure it out when I get there. Thanks for the clarifications.

Blizzard just invented Azj-Kahet for the Expansion.

Azj-Kahet the Kingdom of Khaz Algar Nerubians is not to be mistaken for Ahn’Kahet the Old Kingdom of Northrend Nerubians nor Azjol-Nerub the New Kingdom of Northrend Nerubians.

Maybe we will see the undead nerubians in the last titan, would be good to see them free’d

The Forge of Wills, the Depths of Zul’Drak, the Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub and the Old Kingdom of Ahn’Kahet…

4 Zones under Northrend for The Last Titan… along with any other Zones that Blizzard has prepared to go with the Northrend Revamp…

Unlikely I’m sure…

I am quite positive that Midnight the first of the Revamp Expansions will have 4 Zones for Avaloren to go with the Lordaeron and Quel’Thalas Revamp therefore the underground Zones of Northrend will be all there is in the Northrend Revamp Expansion.

Yes we are getting two Underdark Expansions(one Revamping the Continent above it with Quests associated with said Continent) with one normal Expansion(with the Revamped Continents of Lordaeron, Quel’Thalas, Azuremyst Isles and Northern Kalimdor coming with it made bigger and more magical) between them.

And yes I say Azuremyst Isles and Northern Kalimdor will be included in the Revamp because of the Draenei City mentioned in the Heritage Questline!

Ah the forge of wills is in the Halls of Stone dungeon… it is where the final boss is.

The area where you fight him is literally called “The Forge of Wills”.

Again, is also a dungeon from Wrath.

In fairness, a dungeon that’s really just a small part of the larger area, based on a zone Blizzard wanted to do but couldn’t quite get right.

I doubt that Azjol-Nerub will be a full zone in TLT because it would be just Azj-Kahet in ruins, but I don’t think assuming we might see the full thing of Ahn’Kahet is too farfetched.

1 Like

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Ask_CDev#Ask_CDev_Answers_-_Round_1

What did the massive machines around the Storm Peaks, like the Engine of the Makers, actually do?
These machines are all part of the same system: the Forge of Wills.

Metzen did say we will find out what all the Titan Machinery in Azeroth does in The Last Titan…

Both the Northrend Nerubian Kingdom and the Forge of Wills are bigger than what the Dungeons show.

Furthermore we get a glimpse of the place under Sholazar Basin in the remains of the Lifeblood Pillar and Gundrak seems to be bigger than the Dungeon shows too…

Icecrown also has it’s own Machinery hooked up to the World Soul itself as seen by the glimpse given to us by the Forge of Souls Dungeon.

If you look up the Azjol-Anak, there are still several living nerubians in Azjol-Nerub that we helped liberate from the undead. Part of the quest story was helping them protect a secret clutch of eggs.

They’re still going to be pretty few in number, but I imagine we’ll see a hearty amount of alive nerubians kicking around.

I do wonder if the living nerubians will accept the unliving ones, though, or if we’re looking at a Lordaeron-Forsaken situation.

4 Likes

There’s also the fact that the Nerubians appeared to have their own decorum of culture, architecture & society more than the Mantid or Qiraji, so much so they that would had probably stood in contrast of the Black Empire …

The fact that the Nerubians also had order, weren’t utterly merciless and fought to create rules & justice systems for their kind probably didn’t sit well with the Old Gods either — Most likely to the point that you could easily see the old gods probably requesting their upper hierarchies told to submit more devotion towards them, or become food upon refusal :grimacing:

Needless to say, the old gods ways & decrees would’ve been a sting to their pride …

• Speaking of pride, the old god Y’Shaarj probably wouldn’t had minded it, given their pride would still be ‘feeding’ them — It’s not too hard to see how they’d quickly become the most powerful old god in the Black Empire.

“Similar to how a little bit of truth is used to bring forth the perfect deception — Provide some rewards to ensure willing allegiance … and a little bit of order to manage the chaos towards bringing forth the result of power!!

1 Like

This is a really interesting point that I’ve been thinking about for a bit. Is the Void/Chaos/Old Gods opposed to higher forms of civilization? Is even the idea of an educated society considered distasteful to them?

We know Odyn ordered for the records of the Black Empire’s “advancements” to be destroyed, and for history to be revised to show the Old Gods’ civilization as being merciless and brutal – but has there ever been any indication that’s not… precisely what it is?

I mean, the fact that Nerubians evolved from creatures of the Void and decided that the Void sucks seems pretty damning. It’d be like if a Lightspawn went “yeah, the Naaru have terrible working conditions”. There seem to be virtually no upsides to siding with the Void unless you’re into omnicidal desolation.

1 Like