Need security advice after bad website

I inadvertently clicked a link which sent me to a WoW Leveling services website.

I have run a MalwareBytes scan which found nothing, but I’m not sure what else do to security-wise for my computer. My Mac OS is 10.12, Sierra.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: More info
I didn’t input anything into the website, I just closed it as quick as I could once I saw it was that kind of site. There is nothing visibly new in my downloads folder.

Hey, Atenstein! I think you’ve taken all the right steps so far from my opinion! As long as nothing installed on the system, it should be fine since a security scan was ran. It may be worth rescanning a few days later just to make sure. Macs are less likely to be infected since it’s a smaller share of users most attackers won’t go for Mac or Linux systems most of the time.

Since you didn’t put anything into the website, it should be fine, but if you wanted to take extra precautions, our account security article is a useful to secure your account or any other important accounts!

Other than what you’ve done so far, adwcleaner (also from Malwarebytes) is also a good option to run especially for websites or extensions that may have some how made their way through injections or without a program being installed.

From there, if the system is acting a bit strangely at all or you have any additional concerns, please do reach out to Apple support to have someone look closer into this matter :slight_smile:

That sounds good… but I don’t see a Mac version on the official Malwarebytes website. Am I missing something?

Atenstein,

We aren’t Malwarebytes support so our assistance with their website and product is limited. That said, there is a Mac version of the client.

He’s saying there isn’t a Mac version of the adwcleaner app, which is correct.

Oh, so they are. Then yes, that is correct! Disregard me, I missed the original context with my reply.

No worries. Malwarebytes problably didn’t make a Mac version because there is little reason to just yet. We’re too small a target on this side of the fence so far.

Another option if you are wanting to protect your MacBook is an anti-virus software called Avast. They make a version for iOS/Mac. There is a free version and premium versions and the free one should at least let you know if there is anything floating around on your Mac

here’s the link: https://www.avast.com/en-us/index#mac

There is a Mac version
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002468253-Malwarebytes-for-Mac

There is not a Mac version of the specific software I noted above. This has nothing to do with the main Malwarebytes software.

Due to the parent company installing key/click logging software with their Windows clients recently, it is not recommended to install any Avast product or any other software from Avast’s parent company on any platform.