Need PC suggestions

Gooood Morning forum folks!

I feels it’s important to say right off the bat that I am in NO way a computer person. I couldn’t spout off my current PC specs or what exactly is causing my issue, but when I am using my PC and playing wow it will fully shut down out of nowhere. My guess is it’s overheating and that it’s shutting down to save it. The guy who put it together for me thinks it’s probably the cooling system that is done for, and between you and me I don’t really want to go back to him for help any longer. He’s put together a few computers for me over the years and they never seem to last long.

Anyway, all I play is wow and do a few other things on it, nothing crazy, nothing massive except whatever wow needs. I’ve been blasting my AC which sometimes will give me a few hours of game time, but not always, sometimes it’s still shuts down. Doesn’t matter what I’m doing either, in a delve, in Silvermoon, flying along and boop…fully off..no warning, no error messages, just off. Seasons are changing, can’t blast the ac when it’s getting cooler out, lol.

Where can I go these days to buy an average PC that will run WoW comfortably and that I am able to make payments, Amazon, Best Buy, somewhere else?
I’m not a computer guy, so I figured the best place to ask is here since you guys know your stuff.
Any suggestions on an average priced PC to run WoW that I can make payments would be appreciated. Thank you for your time if you reply!!

Sorry my friend thanks to Data Centers the PC industry cannot keep up with demand. So
“average priced PCs” gone the way of the dodo bird. A decent Ram kit alone is about $800 to 1k. It used to be about 50 to $100.

Decent graphics cards used to be about 2 to $300 now they are 1K+ for anything worthwhile. On top of this ssds have skyrocketed too so any computer worth a day is going to cost some serious cash at the moment.

So if there’s any way you can wait until 2027 I would do that. Experts are expecting some type of relief next year due to a new type of RAM and other components designed completely for AI workloads AKA data centers. But they have not released yet. Prices for just about any PC component is Sky High at the moment

Luckily for you it doesn’t sound like you need a new pc at the moment it sounds like you need a new cooling solution however this could be as simple as a thermal paste reapplication

Since you are not a computer person and I’ve already explained why buying the new pc is not the right thing to do at the moment it will be far cheaper for you to take your computer to a computer repair shop and tell them you need your CPU Cooler replaced. The cost to do this is so much cheaper than a new pc at the moment that it’s not even funny.

Too bad you don’t know that anybody who is a PC guy. Just an idea of what I’m talking about? Replacing a CPU Cooler on a basic system is about 50 to 150 bucks if I were doing it and not charging you for labor.

Cooling system on your CPU is one of the cheapest parts to replace at the moment

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate you!!

1 Like

Also have them check your PSU (Power Supply). Just in case. However if its only shutting off in heat I doubt its that.

You want a repair center to check 3 things with heat issues.

  1. Case Fans
  2. CPU Cooler
  3. PSU (power supply)
3 Likes

The thing is, you don’t say what an ‘average priced PC’ is to you. I know people that anything under $3k is average. Some people are looking to spend no more than $700. It makes a big difference to what your budget is.
I know the DIY’s will have tantrums over pre-builts, but with a little research and looking around you can find some pretty decent stuff for a decent price….. again, depending what ‘decent’ is to you. You don’t have the control over parts like when you do it yourself, but many many many people run pre-built without major issues. Just make sure you’re buying from a reputable company and/or place.

2 Likes