Need Help With Tethering

I lost my internet connection to a (likely drunk) garbage truck driver and my ISP can’t get out here to fix it until Thursday late.

I sprung for the tethering option on my phone plan and it works . . . for everything except WOW.

I can’t log into the launcher or the game itself.

The launcher just sits there in a connecting loop forever.

The game takes a minute to attempt the login (I have to manually enter my PW), then fails with an error code.

The error code is: BLZ51901016

HELP button link is: ``https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/28966```

Has Blizzard disabled tethered access?

I don’t think they could even if they wanted to, the tethering connection is at a system level. All the launcher/game are doing is asking the network stack how to get to their servers, the operating system will provide them the answer.

I’ve tethered to my phone before when my connection has gone down, I didn’t have to pay my phone company anything extra to do it though. It seems there are some very dodgy companies out there trying to extract everything they can from their customers. :frowning:

As for why it isn’t working for you, we probably need more information.
Are you using Winblows or Mac?
Have you disconnected your old network connection? Either by physically removing the cable or disabling the network interface in your OS.

After doing that a reboot might help, it shouldn’t be needed but Winblows can be pretty stupid at times. I’ve assumed you’re using Winblows.
You could flush your DNS instead but, unless you’re comfortable with command line input the reboot is easier.

I use my phone as a mobile hotspot all the time. That said, this discussion belongs in Tech Support not this forum.

I found that after I posted here and I’ve asked there. Thanks.

Why wouldn’t it be. I’m a regular poster here and my absence would likely have been noticed. That’s what happened. A (likely drunk) disposal service driver backed up into the lines and then pulled the dumpster over his truck and dropped it through three cable drops and two phone drops.

Took me a solid two weeks to get it all cleaned up, at my expense for one of the cable drops as the company that owned it is no longer in business - had to get an Angie’s contractor to come out and cut it down from the mast on the house and dispose of the cable.

I spoke with the driver shortly after it happened and he was either drunk or well and truly mentally impaired as he didn’t seem to be able to speak coherently. I had to stop him from simply driving off as he wasn’t even aware he’d done it.

Big sign on the dumpster right in front of his windshield “Clear Overhead Lines” - apparently that wasn’t enough of a hint to, you know, clear the overhead lines.

I’m not sure why you’re butthurt over this.

1 Like

i have nothing constructive to offer about tethering.
my butt was hurt by the friction at my disdain for drunk drivers and passing resonance with the inconvenience of a prolonged unplanned outage :frowning:

im seeing an example of how to treat the forum.

my sincerest apologies and well wishes.

I’m a shut-in disabled veteran. The Internet is literally my only contact with the outside world including most times my doctors. I had to reschedule three video visits over this “inconvenience”.

Not everyone has the same needs.

And a drunk driver operating heavy machinery seems an odd thing to be defending.

1 Like