Need help with settings M1 Pro

Hello there!
I recently bought a new macbook pro 14’ base model, and im really lost on how should I adjust the settings.
I get around 100 fps in open world, except in certains zones (Ardenweald f.e.) What i want to know is if i can adjust something else to get better performance or that’s the best i can do lol

I have my settings on 5 (good in almost eveything) except:

• I have texture resolution on high, texture filtering on dinamic, and projected textures enabled
  • I maxed view distance, environment detail and ground clutter.
  • I turned off vertical sync, tripple buffing and compute bc i saw a post recommending it
  • I turned off SSAO and depth effects bc i saw no significant difference
  • I also dropped the render scale to 50% and enabled FSR bc i saw an MVP recommended it on another post.

i was also wondering if enabling FSR on ambient oclussion makes any difference or not
and finally i need advice with the Mac fans control because i have no idea if theres a well known configuration everyone uses that im not aware about

thank you so much in advance and i apologize for knowing nothing about graphics t.t

2 Likes

Hi. I use an M1 MacBook Pro 16". I turn shadows all the way down. I actually prefer these type of shadows and the best shadows take a huge hit. Per the advice of Omegal on the forums, turn off compute effects. Being on is almost no noticeable difference, but the performance hit is major. Sometimes in Ardenweld from 60 plus FPS to 40s. I do have ground clutter at 5. I’m sure I’ll think of and tweak some other settings, but this gives me great FPS (120 or so if I go the 120 route). I often just run at 60 fps. I use a temperature monitor and 60 fps (for my aging eyes) isn’t much difference from 120, for me that is. And the Mac runs much cooler.

Again, according to MVP Omegal, you need to be full screen for Promotion. So, I just run windowed but close to full screen and set WoW to 60 fps.

Hope this helps some. For sure try Shadows and definitely compute effects off.

1 Like

You don’t mention fidelity super resolution (FSR). that’s where you get most gains without loss of crisp high resolution image

set render scale to 50%, but go into advanced options and change resample from point to FSR 1.0

and yes if you aren’t using full screen mode, then 60fps is better cap than letting frames run wild between 60-120 if those frames aren’t going to be synced to promotion refresh rate. if you do use full screen then 120 cap is smoother with promotion (but also runs hotter).

with the native refresh rate being 120, 40fps cap is also a viable option. 40 can look bad on a native 60 display because it’s not evenly divisible. but on a 120hz display, 40 fps means each frame spends equal amount of time on screen with no frame pacing/judder issues…fun fact, 40fps modes are becoming more common in console games for same reason. with tvs going native 120 now instead of 60. 40fps is a viable alternative to 60 to squeeze out more fidelity over performance. I still prefer 60 though.

5 Likes

Thanks! I had forgotten to include Fidelity Super Resolution. I do have that enabled and that helps very much.

Thanks for all the great Mac tips, Omegal. You certainly have helped me get a lot more performance on a Mac running WoW.

2 Likes

I’m actually wondering if Omegal should whip up a performance guide for the M-Series Macs like Phine did years ago for the Intel Macs. It’d be a worthwhile sticky to help players eke the most performance out of their new Mac. It might also mean he isn’t constantly repeating the same thing in multiple threads. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A sticky guide is a great idea, and I’ve been floating around the forums long enough to know your tips Tiapriestess have been very beneficial to me. Maybe we could transpose a couple of letters in your forum name, “Tipariestess.”

1 Like

It’d be a pretty small guide
Use FSR
Use fan control software
don’t use compute effects

4 Likes

Thanks for this thread. /hug

2 Likes

Love this thread. Thank you!

1 Like

+1 for this thread. improved my fps from like 45 to 90. thank you :slight_smile: