Need help w/blacksmithing and alloys

I have a specific question about making alloys, specifically rank 3.

Recipe difficulty 325. Current skill at 282.

I have hammer control 30/30. Specialty smithing 40/40. Smelting 20/20. Also weaponsmithing maxed out on left side.

I have the flameproof apron (+6 blacksmithing skill), khaz’gorite blacksmith’s toolbox (+6) and the black dragon touched hammer (+10).

Base blacksmithing is at 100 too.

Because all the descriptions are so vague on what points increase what (I want to finish out the weapons skills and start on armorsmithing tree) is there anything that will guarantee rank 3 alloys?

Even using lesser illustrious insight only brings my skill to 312, still short of 325 needed.

Is rank 3 only possible with an inspiration proc?

What rank Khaz’gorite and Draconium Ore are you using?

With R3 ore you should be able to guarantee R3 alloys using a lesser insight.

All rank 3 ores. I wish I knew where to put the knowledge points because the game doesn’t tell you if your skill goes up until you are locked in, potentially wasting point in a dead tree.

I will hypothesize the dreaded display error.

With your talents and equipment you should have a base skill of 222 for alloys (100 BS skill, 100 from KP, 22 from equipment). Adding all R3 mats should give you 303 skill. Add the lesser insight and viola: you are over 325 at 333!

There are no more skill points that will increase your skill to create alloys.

Submit a bug report to add to the pile already in Blizzard’s lap if you desire. Otherwise, take your R3 mats to the Earth-Warder’s Forge, add the lesser insight and smelt.

The point breakdowns are as follows:

40 skill points - 30/30 Hammer Control (10 points in the spikes)
 40 skill points - 40/40 Speciality Smithing
 20 skill points - 20/20 Smelting
  6 skill points - Khaz'gorite Blacksmith's Toolbox
  6 skill points - Flameproof Apron
 10 skill points - Black Dragon Touched Hammer
100 skill points - 100/100 Blacksmithing
----------------------------------------------------
222 skill points - Maximum base BS skill for smelting alloys

+81 skill points for all rank 3 mats (0.25 * 325 base difficulty, rounded down)
303 skill points towards rank 3 alloys

+30 skill points for Insight
333 skill points towards rank 3 alloys

So your 282 isn’t matching up with your description. That actually sounds like you are using a mix of rank 2 and rank 3 materials. Sometimes the journal resets your material selections. I would click on the material and force them all to rank 3 manually again and make sure there are no rank 2 or rank 1 mats accidentally being set by the UI and see if the number improves.

1 Like