Need Help Building Desktop SL

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could grab some assistance of the WoW community as I have very little knowledge of computers and computer parts. I am looking to buy a prebuilt desktop ( no idea how to make my own/ what part to buy ) and I was wondering if these specs would be good for shadowlands. My budget is 1500$ so if you have any recommendations feel free too reply.

Thank you all for helping me!

Extra Case Fans : 3X Apevia Dual addressable digital RGB 120mm Fan 3Pins

CPU : Intel® Core™ Processor i7-10700K 8/16 3.80GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 16MB Cache LGA1200

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan : MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

Motherboard : ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX, ARGB, 1GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe + WiFi 6 Intel 201AX

RAM / System Memory : 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz MEMORY

Video Card : GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6X (Ampere)

Power Supply :800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Primary Hard Drive :1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k

First things first…

• RAM / System Memory : Go with more ram 3600mhz-4000mhz+ on intel if you can afford it
  • Motherboard: Look into ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming if you can afford it. Best bang for your buck out there.
  • Fans: Go with Noctua PMWs 4pins. You dont want 3 pin case fans they will run at 100% all the time. 4 pin PMW fans will speed up or slow down based on how hot your case gets
  • CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 or ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 and a good alternate is Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT 360 or 280 or 240. The Arctics are the best and cheapest on the market
  • Primary Hard Drive: Look at Western Digital 1TB WD Black instead. Never go blue for a primary drive. Blue is for secondary imo.

Here is video I actually made. Its a step by step guide on building a PC. Ironically its also an i7 10700k build I did for a client. I went with some of the best components you can buy so please keep in mind I am not telling you to get them. They would run you over budget; however the steps in the video will be the same regardless

If you can find one Zen3 is actually better than intel atm FYI. Im actually in the process of switch from the i9 10900k to the Ryzen 7 5800x tonight. In Feb/March I will get a 5900x once they are easily obtainable. The i7 10700k is probably the best bang for your buck though just due to price/performance.

I hope this helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asrtwXsUSMc

This video should give you an idea of the performance you can expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YBdUhY6Fo

2 Likes

If this is from ibuypower or cyberpowerpc then you can customize. I always recommend a full tower because of airflow and its’ ease to swap out parts. What case are you using in this build? The case fans should be 4 pin PWM so you can set the curve in your BIOS. Corsair makes some good RGB fans. The QL series look good and move a lot of air. The CPU and GPU are good choices. Are you planning to OC your CPU? If so, I’d recommend a 280mm CPU cooler instead of a 120mm. EVGA CLC 280 is good and cheap. Upgrade the PSU to a SeaSonic or EVGA SuperNova. Other than that it looks good.

Thanks so much mate.

I have taken your advice and upgraded the RAM, Picked the corsair icue 240 cooler, changed the fans, and picked the WB black hard drive. Also great job on the video it goes in a lot of detail which is very nice, and the benchmark video helped explain a lot of the things I did not understand about processors.

1 Like

On Intel you dont have to worry RAM timings. You just buy fast ram turn on XMP and call it a day.

Watch a video once you get your PC set up called “how to turn on XMP on intel”.

1 Like

Yup. I even tested G.Skill Flare X 8GB X2 DDR4-3200 C14 on my Intel rig. Supposedly optimized for AMD Ryzen. It just works. Can safely say you can put whatever RAM on Intel rig as long as your motherboard could handle it.

I’ve seen a few cases of compability issues for RAM on Intel. BIOS update will fixes it. Compatibility is not 100%. Keep that in mind.

its 100% if its on your motherboards QVL list. Should be under the support section on the website to your motherboard.

1 Like

There’s also your chip’s IMC - there’s an amount of silicon lottery there as well. Generally though, Coffeelake IMC is quite strong.

I’ve seen users just blindly buy the RAM. They’ll come asking for help when that happens. Can’t control this one.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of people dont know to check that. With that said I still think AMD is the better platform

1 Like