Need Basic Tips / Guide on how to Tank (PROT PALADIN)

IDK

That reckoning.

lips licks :lipstick:

I already do, so could you mention any potions you had in mind?

The defense and mana recovery ones are obvious I guess, but were you thinking of something like frost oil or something else less obvious?

Also, thank you so so much for the build recommendation! <3

Yeah, but can’t have both consecrate and rek at level 40 :frowning:

That’s what I have fallen in love with.

1 Like

Consecration just makes things a lot easier in typical instance runs:

1. Paladins have to body pull and DPS isn’t always patient. This often means the fight starts closer to the next group (and patrols) than ideal. If you get adds, Consecration will help pick them up quickly.

2. Warrior/Druid tanks have Shout/Clap/Roar for a quick threat grab (assuming rage) which matters in pulls of 3+ when you want some early threat to overcome the aggro of a couple HoT ticks. Paladins have nothing instant here except Consecration (or BoPing the healer…).

3. If you’re in a group with 2 or 3 AoE (Mage/Warlock), Consecration can let you do some AoE pulls for them.

You certainly can go Holy Shield first if you want, but in encounters you’ll be much closer to a Prot Warrior except without shout/clap or taunt. Chances are you’ll rely a lot more on CC. That’s perfectly fine though: runs when people are running less-common specs that have different strengths & challenges are usually more fun.

The best advice on how to tank as a paladin is to make a warrior.

Consecration is such a powerful tool because it has very favorable spellpower scaling. “Why would I care about that when I don’t have any +spellpower” you say? Oh ho, but you do! Judgement of the Crusader is essentially a single-target +spellpower buff for holy damage. This is also why you will hear about downranking consecration to rank 1 all the time - it is a high enough level spell to get full +spellpower scaling and the scaling is VERY favorable. To summarize: Judge Crusader + rank 1 consecration = cheap, reliable single-target threat.

As well, overall you should think of a paladin as a spell-tank. Strength gear is not a priority at all as the vast majority of your threat comes from your Holy damage which does not scale with your melee damage. +spellpower is great if you can get it (unfortunately rare outside of the tier 2 raid set), +sta and +int are good, +mp5 is decent.

With regards to mana regen the huge thing to remember that the yellow damage from Seal of Righteousness is treated as an extra attack for the purpose of proc effects and can effectively double the proc rate of Judgement of Wisdom.

Step one, roll a warrior. Pally tanks lol.

If you guys think the tank in Gnomregan or SM needs to be a warrior, you are the ones to be laughed at.

calm down, it was a joke.

wow.

Nope, druids work too. But lol pally tanks.

FYI don’t trust the threat meter. It only works if others have it installed also. So far I’ve seen it about 50/50

Not everyone is joking.

Prot paladins lack a taunt, yes.

Now explain why a prot paladin can’t tank SM, even though they do it all the time.

Paladin tanks are fine for leveling dungeons. but are not taken seriously as tanks for raiding.

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

I will re-spec to healer at level 60, it’s just that I greatly prefer questing to reach it.

I want to just tank the occasional dungeon once or twice for the quests, get some gear, and move on. I was debating whether to do this as the DPS, healer, or Tank, and ultimately decided I could probably serve my group best by being the tank.

I totally appreciate now why dual-spec was added to the game.